You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : The Finer Things

The Never Ending Gun Thread

A forum about lifestyle: toys, gadgets, fine food, drinks and smokes.

Fumanchewd 22 Jan 15, 09:26Post
God I love Arizona. I waited a few weeks for a good priced XDS .45 to come up on backpage. I talked the guy down from $500 to $450 and bought it from him in a Chevron parking lot. He only fired a few rounds through it and it looks almost new.

I haven't fired it yet, but it is really tiny for a .45 and it's just under 1" wide. It comes with 2x 5 round magazines and I just ordered one 7 round magazine. If it works out, I'll buy a couple more of the 7 rounders.

I haven't fired it yet, but the trigger pull feels horrible. I'll take it to Robar here and get some night sights and a trigger job done.

Here it is next to my 4.5" XDM40.

I normally wouldn't be so proud of a $450 gun but its so frickin tiny!
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Fumanchewd 23 Jan 15, 03:03Post
My buddy just bought a Swiss made Sphinx 9mm and he won't stop talking about what a great gun it is.

For a little over a grand it would be hard for me to justify, but I'll probably shoot soon and find out.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 23 Jan 15, 17:34Post
Fumanchewd wrote:.. a Swiss made Sphinx 9mm ...

Also known as a great way to spend $600 too much on a CZ.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Fumanchewd 23 Jan 15, 23:50Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:.. a Swiss made Sphinx 9mm ...

Also known as a great way to spend $600 too much on a CZ.

I understand its a little more complicated than that, most of the Sphinx is supposed to be to much higher standards not to mention the design of the gun is actually much different

http://nrasharp.com/gear/sphinx-colion/

Is it $400 better? (They can be picked up for $1000). Hell if I know. I agree only in that I'm also the type of person who has no idea why anyone would spend $2000 on a 1911 or just another 5.56.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 24 Jan 15, 06:10Post
Fumanchewd wrote:I understand its a little more complicated than that, most of the Sphinx is supposed to be to much higher standards not to mention the design of the gun is actually much different

CZ-75 P-07, meet the Sphinx SDP

This is nothing new for them.

Sphinx 2000:

Meet the CZ-75

That's pretty much Sphinxs schtick. Make clones of the CZ guns, claim that you've vastly improved them by making them better, then charge twice the going rate or more for the real CZ. Because, precision Swiss engineering or something.

Of course, the truth of the matter is that Sphinx has been trying to out CZ CZ for a while now and has about zero market share while CZ is still a huge player in the gun game and Eurpoean LEO market. Sphinx hasn't actually managed to improve on anything that actual gun parts of the gun. Sure, they managed to make the slide/frame fit tighter, but I laugh all day at people that think that's actually a good thing.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Mark 28 Jan 15, 15:14Post
A man upset with the New Hope, MN, city council opened fire on police officers outside of the city council chambers. Police officers killed the man. What's cool is a city councilman was packing.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Fumanchewd 31 Jan 15, 16:07Post
Bought the Trijicon HD's for the XDS.

Thought in my uneducated brain AFTER they arrived- What is the point of a front sight dot on night sights that requires you to shine a flashlight on it before using in the dark? If someone is breaking into my home do I take the time to shine a flashlight on it and completely expose myself as well as ruin my night vision in the process so the little stupid circle will glow in the dark?

{facepalm}
captoveur 01 Feb 15, 22:22Post
So I came across a rifle grenade launcher for my Garand. A friend of mine was willing to trade it for a Police Department patch because he no longer has a Garand. Seeing as I no longer have a police department I was glad to sacrifice one out of my closet. I have the launcher and the round.

Launcher was made by ACME. Does anyone have someplace I can look for information on them? I may write to the Garand Collectors Association to see if they have anything because google keeps kicking back things referencing Coyotes and Roadrunners.

Along those same lines. Does anyone know where I can get crimped .30-06SPRG blanks?

And yes I do have reservations about firing anything made by ACME.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 02 Feb 15, 14:59Post
You will have more luck looking up the M7 Grenade Launcher. There are three variants, A1 - A3.

This website has lots of information on them:
http://www.billricca.com/m7a3_gren_launch_history.htm
Fumanchewd 08 Feb 15, 05:50Post
I took the XDS to the range and put about 50 rounds through it going from horrible to pretty good. Then it jammed with the trigger partially depressed, the slide fully forward, and an unfired round in the chamber. :o

After messing with it a bit in the range I put her back in the box still jammed up.

I bought it used but it looks very new with only a few rounds through it and I was using reloads I had bought from a place that only does reloads. I didn't clean it or oil it before taking it to the range but I guess I should have.

I don't want to mess with it so will probably just take it to a GS unless someone else has any ideas.
Fumanchewd 08 Feb 15, 16:36Post
Fumanchewd wrote:I took the XDS to the range and put about 50 rounds through it going from horrible to pretty good. Then it jammed with the trigger partially depressed, the slide fully forward, and an unfired round in the chamber. :o

After messing with it a bit in the range I put her back in the box still jammed up.

I bought it used but it looks very new with only a few rounds through it and I was using reloads I had bought from a place that only does reloads. I didn't clean it or oil it before taking it to the range but I guess I should have.

I don't want to mess with it so will probably just take it to a GS unless someone else has any ideas.

Nevermind, got it out. Read up online and just gave it a few more than usual forced pulls and ejected it. Pretty sure it was the reload ammo.
Mark 17 Feb 15, 16:07Post
Have you seen this?

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
bhmbaglock 17 Feb 15, 16:08Post
This is pretty cool. Put a Linux computer, laser designator, and optics together with a .338 Lapua to give you a serious sniper rifle.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-tracki ... to-a-mile/

First, the 338TP uses the .338 Lapua Magnum long-range rifle for its base. This rifle started as a design for a US Marine sniper rifle. Then, to acquire the target, the rifle uses a laser to enable you to "tag" your target. More than just a laser-targeting system, its sensors also track wind speed, direction, temperature, and barometric pressure. As serious shooters know, all of these factors must be taken into account for an accurate shot at great ranges.

This data is then passed on to the built-in Linux computer. Once you've tagged the target, the rifle will automatically track it. You then bring your reticule, the optical target-aiming point, to match the rifle's computed impact point. Once you've matched it up and you decide to take the shot, you pull the trigger and the TriggerLink computer works out all the details needed to hit the target. Thus, and this is surprising until you get used to it, there may be up to a second of delay between the time you pull the trigger and when the shot goes off.

So is it really that accurate? It works well enough that the US Army is testing it. In one review, it was found that users of an older model were getting 70 percent first hit accuracy at 1,000 yards. A trained military rifleman, not a sniper, would hit about 5 percent of the time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26158016

Entry model is $7500, the whole enchilada is $40k.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 17 Feb 15, 17:55Post
Mark wrote:Have you seen this?

That has been making the rounds for the last few weeks for some reason. It is without a doubt the worst idea for a Less Than Lethal device ever dreamed up. It fails in just about every single regard. Combining lethal weapons with Less Than Lethal attachments is just a recipe for disaster. Police agencies already learned the hard way to never allow an officer to wear a Taser on the same side of the belt as their duty weapon. This contraption is just begging for that lesson to be learned all over again by the one or two agencies who are stupid enough to adopt it... and in doing so become an abject lesson for everyone else.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 17 Feb 15, 19:20Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:That has been making the rounds for the last few weeks for some reason. It is without a doubt the worst idea for a Less Than Lethal device ever dreamed up. It fails in just about every single regard. Combining lethal weapons with Less Than Lethal attachments is just a recipe for disaster. Police agencies already learned the hard way to never allow an officer to wear a Taser on the same side of the belt as their duty weapon. This contraption is just begging for that lesson to be learned all over again by the one or two agencies who are stupid enough to adopt it... and in doing so become an abject lesson for everyone else.

+1
At home in the PNW and loving it
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 25 Feb 15, 03:44Post
A sizeable amount of Marines prefer Glocks

The Corps issued a Feb. 2 Marine Administrative Message, or MARADMIN, that green-lighted Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, or MARSOC, units to use the Glock 19, a proven design used by many units in U.S. Special Operations Command.

The Marine Corps just completed an exhaustive search for a new MARSOC pistol in 2012. The service awarded a $22.5 million contract to Colt Defense LLC., for up to 10,000 Close Quarter Battle Pistols.

The custom, 1911 design replaced the fleet of worn-out MARSOC M45 pistols. It features a rail for mounting lights, a custom trigger, a manual safety, improved ergonomics and glowing Tritium sights for low-light conditions.

As nice as the new .45s are, many MARSOC troops prefer to carry Glock 19s instead, sources said.
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 10 Apr 15, 01:33Post
Didn't know this was/is happening

Cherished family heirlooms were among the 21 firearms Michael Roberts surrendered to the Torrance Police Department in 2010, after his doctor filed a restraining order against him.

With the backing of the National Rifle Association and California Rifle and Pistol Association, Roberts filed a federal lawsuit in May 2014, over the $15,500 worth of firearms. In the end he got the money, but not the guns. The police had had them destroyed.

Second Amendment lawyers say his case is not rare.

“NRA and CRPA constantly get calls from law abiding people having problems getting their guns back,” said Chuck Michel of Long Beach based Michel & Associates, who represented Roberts in the case. “The state Department of Justice wrongly tells police not to give guns back unless the person can document ownership of the gun and it is registered in the state DOJ’s database. But the law doesn’t require this.”
captoveur 10 Apr 15, 12:43Post
Allstarflyer wrote:A sizeable amount of Marines prefer Glocks

The Corps issued a Feb. 2 Marine Administrative Message, or MARADMIN, that green-lighted Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, or MARSOC, units to use the Glock 19, a proven design used by many units in U.S. Special Operations Command.

The Marine Corps just completed an exhaustive search for a new MARSOC pistol in 2012. The service awarded a $22.5 million contract to Colt Defense LLC., for up to 10,000 Close Quarter Battle Pistols.

The custom, 1911 design replaced the fleet of worn-out MARSOC M45 pistols. It features a rail for mounting lights, a custom trigger, a manual safety, improved ergonomics and glowing Tritium sights for low-light conditions.

As nice as the new .45s are, many MARSOC troops prefer to carry Glock 19s instead, sources said.

The troops can like whatever they want. They will get what they get. If you start seeing Glocks with thumb safeties things are starting to get serious. I am under the impression a manual safety is a pretty hard and fast requirement for what you hand to the average soldier/sailor/marine/airman.
Fumanchewd 17 Apr 15, 11:13Post
Not sure if anyone here is able or willing to give advice. I essentially upgraded my CAI 74 Tantal for an Arsenal 74. Its a great gun but I'm trying to decide on optics. I know very little about scope set ups or mounts.

I know some think its silly to put optics on an AK, but it will be my primary rifle and I would like to be more accurate farther out. I can hit ~300yards with my ironsights fairly well. A red dot would be nice but I think it would be a little redundant when the ironsights are fine.

Ultimately, I am interested in a mount for between 300-700 yards but still have the iron sights not covered by the scope.

I have found the POSP optics but I think they are a little heavy and I am not sure if the are up to par with non-Russian glass.

http://www.rrcfirearms.com/cat_optics.cfm
http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes.html
It is cheaper though.

The other option I was looking at was a rail mount with a cheaper Zoom Leopold scope or equivalent.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/472718 ... uctFinding

Again, this is new for me so any advice would be appreciated.
captoveur 17 Apr 15, 12:54Post
WANT WANT WANT!!!!!1!

https://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/collector-series/m249s/
Fumanchewd 04 May 15, 17:26Post
One of the contenders for the new Army sidearm contract is Detonics.

At first glance, it seems absurd to suggest that a small company on the outskirts of St. Louis could be a serious player in the race to provide the U.S. Army with its next handgun.

This is, after all, a major event in the realm of military weapons having happened only twice in the past 100 or so years. And it's expected to draw the attention of the industry's most powerful names, including Smith & Wesson, Beretta, Ruger and Glock.

And then there's tiny Detonics, a five-person operation in Millstadt that fashions itself more tech company than gunmaker.

They'll be facing deep-pocketed competitors with lobbyists, squads of marketing and public relations staffers, and friends in Congress.

"There's just no comparison to what these large companies have in the way of resources," said Bruce Siddle, Detonics' chief executive.

But what his company does have, he said, is a gun that would give the military what it craves a weapon with a modular design offering easy customizing to fit different hands as well as different missions. The ideas behind it even prompted a 2013 invitation from the Army's modular handguns group, which asked for a presentation on the company's efforts.

Various military branches make smaller-scale purchases of handguns from time to time, particularly in the case of special operations units. But the last time there was a wholesale change was in 1985, when the Army pushed aside its iconic, but aging, Colt 1911 pistols carried by soldiers for more than seven decades in favor of the Beretta M9.

The Beretta offered a smaller caliber 9 mm versus .45-caliber and considerably more capacity. But it's a gun that's been hard-pressed to gain the love of critics, who remain unhappy with various design elements, including its caliber and a slide-mounted safety that can be accidentally engaged while clearing malfunctions.

Those guns are nearing the end of their service life. And with the composition of the Army changing there are more female soldiers today than when the Beretta was chosen military leaders are looking for what could be a less expensive gun and one that will fit a wider range of hand sizes. They are expected to buy more than 500,000 of them.

The Detonics STX, still in prototype, is essentially a 1911-style gun that's been modified to use an internal striker instead of a visible external hammer. They've also tinkered with the grip angles and shape to achieve what they say is better recoil absorption and performance drawn from Siddle's research on how the body responds to the stress of shooting.

"We want to bring a more ergonomical, more accurate, more comfortable gun to shoot," said Kevin Siddle, Bruce's son and the company's chief engineer.
cComments

Still, it may not help that the firm is a relative unknown these days, even among gun enthusiasts.

"The people who know Detonics know them from 'Miami Vice,'" said Bob Owens, editor of Bearingarms.com, which covers industry happenings. "That was three generations and several owners ago."

The company, formerly a division of a Seattle-based explosives maker, was founded in the mid-1970s with the launch of its highly regarded Combat Master, the first compact version of the .45-caliber 1911.

The company's guns were popular, even snagging a co-starring role on the ankle of Sonny Crockett (actor Don Johnson) in the Miami-based TV crime series. Regardless, Detonics was out of business by the late 1980s and then bounced from one owner to the next before ending up with Siddle and a group of investors in 2007.

Few things, however, have the ability to place a firearms company on the map faster than putting one of its guns into the holsters of U.S. soldiers.

Indeed, one of the reasons these companies will chase the Army contract is because of what it can mean for sales to the public. Whichever gun is chosen will develop an instant fan following, with buyers eager to own the same, or at least similar, pistol, said Roy Huntington, editor of American Handgunner magazine.

"There is a certain geeky, coolness factor," Huntington said. "There seems to be an almost immediate transition to the civilian market."

Assessing Detonics' chances is difficult at best, particularly given all that's not known about the military contract, which isn't expected to be unveiled until later this year if at all.

There's still a chance the military won't do anything. That's what happened 10 years ago, when the Army sought, through its Joint Combat Pistol program, to replace the Beretta with a new .45-caliber pistol. The program drew a lot of interest from the industry but never selected a winner.

Beretta clearly hopes for a similar result this time around and already has submitted a modified version of its gun in hopes of heading off the contract fight before it even starts.

But if things do move forward, much depends on the contract particulars.

"The thing that's going to make or break these guys is what kind of contract the military wants," said Owens, of Bearingarms.com.

The worst-case scenario would be a decision to go with something already being made such as Sig Sauer's new P320, which shares some of the modular features of the Detonics gun.

Almost as problematic would be a bid process requiring a heavy production capacity. It's something Detonics doesn't have and might be hard-pressed to come up with, given that many of the largest manufacturers are likely to be involved in the bidding.

Bruce Siddle said the company is in talks with numerous manufacturers though he wouldn't offer any names.

The best-case scenario is one in which the military is willing to go with an intellectual property route, where it could license the Detonics design and then find its own builders.

"Then they're a legitimate player," Owens said.

There is one downside to that approach, at least from the standpoint of ego: It's unlikely the Detonics name would be emblazoned on the sides of guns made through such a contract. Siddle, however, doesn't seem to mind.

"My goal for the shareholders is to bring them value," he said. "None of us particularly care what the label says."

But simply entering the competition won't be cheap, said retired Lt. Col. Freddie Blish, general manager of the Robar Companies, a maker of custom guns and finishes.

The evaluation period, which will take a year or longer, will involve each company supplying the military with several dozen guns for torture testing and field trials in the hands of soldiers.

"They'll have to have deep pockets to do what it takes to get the military's attention," Blish said.

And in the end, the top gun won't necessarily be the one that's chosen. The military will be looking at a combination of quality and cost.

"The chances of them winning are fairly slim," Blish said. "Unless they have something extraordinarily unusual, that's a tough uphill battle."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-a ... tml#page=1
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 04 May 15, 18:04Post
Uggg... Changed the grip angle of the 1911 then replaced the perfect short pull single action trigger with a striker system? What's up with the random hex screw in the grip frame? And why have that monster arse beaver tail if there's no hammer bite? Aluminum frame in a .45?

Pass.

I get enough flak for carrying a 1911 in 9mm.. I think I might just get murdered by the Ghost of John Browning for that thing.
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 May 15, 00:54Post
I think the USCCA had a Colt 1911 cqbp recently in the April gun-a-day-giveaway - maybe in 9 mil? Of course, I'd like to give it a handle 1st - before plunking down 2K-plus. {crazy}

Just checked, the cqbp is a .45, oh well.
captoveur 06 May 15, 12:45Post
When my grandfather kicked the bucket I inherited an Arisaka Type 99. I have had it apart, and cleaned it with the help of youtube. Ammo has been made by Hornady and Norma. However, no one at all seems to have 7.7 Jap in stock.

This rifle is a pile of junk. It is no wonder the Japanese lost the war. I would still like to shoot it once just to say I did it.
bhmbaglock 06 May 15, 14:05Post
captoveur wrote:When my grandfather kicked the bucket I inherited an Arisaka Type 99. I have had it apart, and cleaned it with the help of youtube. Ammo has been made by Hornady and Norma. However, no one at all seems to have 7.7 Jap in stock.

This rifle is a pile of junk. It is no wonder the Japanese lost the war. I would still like to shoot it once just to say I did it.

Not cheap but found some in 30 seconds:

http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/hrn80490.htm

Any interest in selling it?