You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

Russian Air Force Il-76 Crash

Your online Air Force Base.

paul mcallister 12 Mar 24, 14:51Post
A Russian Air Force Ilyushin Il-76 military transport aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff today with 15 people on board due to a fire in one of its engines.
The aircraft reportedly suffered a bird strike shortly after takeoff, resulting in a badly damaged engine.Some eyewitness reports state that fire damage caused the engine to detach from its supporting pylon.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/355327
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 13 Mar 24, 14:55Post
I saw a video where it looks like the engine fell off. There had to be something else going on, he was in a shallow right, descending turn.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
paul mcallister 16 Mar 24, 14:05Post
There are some crash videos in the ASN Link I posted, if you scroll down to the bottom of the report.
Surely it would take a while for the engine mounting to fail due to fire ?
I would have expected them to shut the engine down, and attempt to get back to the airfield on three engines.

I think there is more to this that we are being told, it is modern Russia after all. Accident or dirty tricks ? Discuss.