You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

Russian Military Il-76 MD Crash-Shoot Down

Your online Air Force Base.

paul mcallister 24 Jan 24, 13:02Post
Came across a video of incident, which is now on BBC news website.You need to scroll down to see the video.
Quality is poor, but it looks very like the aircraft was shot down.

The video begins with the aircraft in a steep nose down attitude, then shortly after a large piece detaches from the fuselage.
After the aircraft crashes and explodes, the camera pans left, you can clearly see a puff of dark smoke,hanging in the sky,which looks like where a missile of some sort has hit the aircraft.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... a-68079336
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jan 24, 13:56Post
Russia claiming that
- Ukrainian POWs were on board
- Ukraine shot it down
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jan 24, 18:59Post
Russia's ministry of defence said 65 captured Ukrainian military were on the plane heading to the area for a prisoner exchange.

Ukrainian military intelligence later released a statement accusing Russia of putting the lives of prisoners of war at risk.

It said it had not been told it had to ensure safe airspace over Belgorod.

The Ukrainian statement is being seen as a tacit acknowledgement that it shot the plane down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68080529
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 24 Jan 24, 21:23Post
It's incumbent on the country holding the POW's to ensure their safety. A ship in WW2 would have to have been marked with large POW letters on the side. Flying an aircraft into a war zone with POW's on board is just asking for this kind of thing to happen.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?