You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Cargolux B744 Has OW Landing Issues

All about Airlines and Airliners.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 May 23, 08:58Post
Worth watching. It can be repaired.

And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 May 23, 16:07Post
I saw that . . . different place, news channel. What causes a main gear to simply shear off like that??
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 May 23, 20:29Post
Overweight landing, possible crack, stress corrosion in the body gear strut.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 May 23, 20:32Post
Bloody hell, you wouldn't want to get in front of that.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 16 May 23, 21:29Post
The articles I've seen only say that the aircraft couldn't retract the gear after take-off, leading the the fuel dump and subsequent emergency landing.
Make Orwell fiction again.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 May 23, 20:39Post
That's a big old chunk of undercarriage to lose!

This made me wonder - are the routine inspection intervals the same for 744 and 744F? Freight haulers by their very nature are trying to land as close to MLW as possible (mostly, exceptional loads excepted) whereas airliners tend to put down significantly below their MLW. I was lucky enough to be a guest at a new gear testing for the increased weight variants of the A333 many years ago and the impacts landing gear takes is something to behold up close.
A million great ideas...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 23 May 23, 08:35Post
Other than the obvious walk arounds, which would miss only a leaking struts, the B- and some C-Check cards are visual inspections. The landing gear is a hard time item and gets replaced at intervals measured in cycles before being sent to a landing gear shop for OH which would include disassembly and NDT. The main gear on the 330/340 is a formidable chunk of metal that is impressive, to say the least.