You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Passenger demands reparations for seat

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 16 Oct 22, 10:00Post
Well first off, here's another word that is under attack and threatening redefinition. It should read, the passenger demands a refund not a reparation. Two totally different things, but in this day and age I get the writer is trying to make a splash.

Aside from that obvious error, I think the passenger has a real point. How is it fair that she is squished between two abnormally large passengers who take up parts of her paid for seat? I've been in her position several times. As a non-rever you get what's left and many times it is the middle seat towards the back between two behemoths. I once actually turned around, exited the aircraft and told the gate agent if that was the last seat available then I'd roll over to the next flight, which I ended up doing.

So I get her complaint and request. I really think AA should have had a better response lined up. Her complaint can't be the first of its kind. With flying the way it is now though, short sightedness says yeah, if you don't like it we have 5 people behind you waiting to take that seat, but it won't last forever so they should have taken the long view and offered some sort of compensation IMO. Thoughts?

Defiant American Airlines passenger demands REPARATIONS after complaining about being squeezed in between two obese passengers for three hour flight

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11318945/American-Airlines-passenger-demands-REPARATIONS-squeezed-two-obese-passengers.html
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
paul mcallister 17 Oct 22, 15:23Post
Well first off, the story is from the Daily Mail, not known for their journalistic endeavours and often they just scour the web to poach stories and run them without any checks.
They are known as the Daily Fail in the UK-google some of their articles about the Red Arrows, especially the one`s regarding the tragic loss of Jon Egging.

The passenger has a good point, not just the fault of the overweight passengers, it`s the fault of the airlines for having such tiny seats, and minimal legroom. Nobody wants to sit cheek to cheek with their fellow passengers.
The tiny toilet cubicles on board many aircraft don`t help either.
More and more people are overweight now, and the airlines need to recognise this and give people some space.

DVT seems to be largely forgotten now, people need space, so the airlines need to address this, instead of cramming as many folks in as possible.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Oct 22, 12:16Post
Seats are too small, seat pitch is ridiculously small.

AA's F pitch on a new 738 and their new 321s assinine for an F seat. I haven't bought in a Y seat since Eastern Airlines took me from ORD-BHM in the way back days.

Now, that said, do what MrsANC and I do. . . . buy an F seat and quit yer bitchin. {drillsergeant}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
captoveur 20 Oct 22, 15:24Post
I caught the "passenger's" youtube video on the subject.

She isn't asking the airline for jack squat. She is asking for common sense to be applied given that airlines do have policies about buying 2 seats if you're huge.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Oct 22, 16:53Post
If they can make you prove your carry-on will fit in a gauge at the gate, maybe it's time you had to prove your ass will fit in one.

Too embarrassing? Then buy a second seat.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
PA110 (Founding Member) 20 Oct 22, 19:33Post
Seat sizes have not changed much, although pitch has been greatly reduced since the days of deregulation. What's changed is the size of our bodies. It simply isn't possible to make the seats wider. Enforcing a 2-seat purchase is the only solution. The problem is that enforcement has to come prior to folks showing up at the airport, at which point it may not be possible to find 2 available adjacent seats.

I recall several stories about "customers of size" who purchased two seats only to find that when they arrived at the airport, the seats were not adjacent. One of the problems is that airlines realize incremental revenue by charging a premium (some for just any random seat, others for virtually every aisle and window seat (*cough*, *cough* AMERICAN *cough* *cough*). With today's web-based product differentiation, an extra seat purchase should come with a guarantee of the 2 seats being adjacent to one another.

That said, airlines still need to find a way to compel extra seat purchases prior to folks showing up at the airport.
Last edited by PA110 on 20 Oct 22, 19:44, edited 4 times in total.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Oct 22, 19:37Post
They can typically manage it for a cello, though?
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 21 Oct 22, 10:39Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Too embarrassing? Then buy a second seat.

Ryanair: Your seats are 12A and 23E
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 21 Oct 22, 11:10Post
My fat ass buys the bigger seat.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 Oct 22, 12:13Post
mhodgson wrote:Ryanair: Your seats are 12A and 23E

We're gonna need a bigger butt.