You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

UA 737MAX Service EWR To Azores Starts Up

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 13 May 22, 22:15Post
First CO then UA has been sending 737's to Hawaii for years so I shouldn't be surprised but it still seems like a lot of water to cross, even though distance wise it's shorter than some west coast cities to Hawaiian destinations. The 737 MAX will be operating the seasonal EWR to Azores flight.

In a world of large 757s, 767s and 787s, this flight is the only one to be operated by a 737 MAX. In fact, it’s the first time United — or any U.S. carrier — is scheduling the workhorse 737 to fly transatlantically.

However, a flight from the U.S. to the Azores spans only about 2,576 miles (and takes 5 hours and 45 minutes), which is shorter than some of United’s West Coast-Hawaii flights likewise operated by 737s.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-737-max-azores-ponta-delgada/

As the article states at the end, if this works out, how long will it be before some secondary markets in Europe might see UA TATL service?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
PA110 (Founding Member) 13 May 22, 23:15Post
The 737-max is a great and hugely capable aircraft. I just wish airlines (UA included) wouldn't use those horrible space-saver lavs that require any normal size adult to be a contortionist.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 May 22, 13:23Post
PA110 wrote:The 737-max is a great and hugely capable aircraft. I just wish airlines (UA included) wouldn't use those horrible space-saver lavs that require any normal size adult to be a contortionist.

And those absolute clown-show sinks. :|

EDIT: The last Max I was on was an AAL, and I was in back with the slimline seats. The experience was as awful as being on Frontier, and my butt kept falling asleep (this was when I'd been doing squats and had a better butt, too). Not sure what UAL's seats are like.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 May 22, 21:22Post
The Azores market is largely going to be yachties/marine techs/nav & delivery crews. They don't care about being cramped for a few hours, they care about having a few extra $ for weed and solar panels. This is one TATL market where you can pile them in and sell it cheap, it will work.

DXing wrote:As the article states at the end, if this works out, how long will it be before some secondary markets in Europe might see UA TATL service?

I could see some of the smaller UK airports that have struggled to keep TATL services previously sustaining a 150 seat service. NCL & BRS are examples that have tried before but can't routinely sell the numbers to justify larger aircraft, so there may be opportunities there.
A million great ideas...
PA110 (Founding Member) 17 May 22, 20:03Post
Lucas wrote:And those absolute clown-show sinks. :|

EDIT: The last Max I was on was an AAL, and I was in back with the slimline seats. The experience was as awful as being on Frontier, and my butt kept falling asleep (this was when I'd been doing squats and had a better butt, too). Not sure what UAL's seats are like.

I've flown UA's Max 9 quite a bit to/from HI, almost all the time down the back. I've found the seats reasonably comfortable for a 5-6 hour flight.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 May 22, 14:18Post
PA110 wrote:
Lucas wrote:And those absolute clown-show sinks. :|

I've flown UA's Max 9 quite a bit to/from HI, almost all the time down the back. I've found the seats reasonably comfortable for a 5-6 hour flight.

I will have to give 'em a shot, then. Does UAL typically have a nicer seat in the back? I mostly avoid AAL anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 May 22, 10:07Post
DXing wrote:First CO then UA has been sending 737's to Hawaii for years so I shouldn't be surprised but it still seems like a lot of water to cross, even though distance wise it's shorter than some west coast cities to Hawaiian destinations. The 737 MAX will be operating the seasonal EWR to Azores flight.

AS has been send 738s to Hawaii for well over a decade . . . I have pics. The flight from ANC-HNL is longer than the UA flight to the Azores. I would hazard a guess that the back end of an AS 737 is more comfy than that of UA or AA. I don't have experience there, only the reviews from Seat Guru.

I do miss the UA 742s out of SFO going to Hawaii though . . . ;)
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
PA110 (Founding Member) 25 May 22, 16:04Post
ANCFlyer wrote:I do miss the UA 742s out of SFO going to Hawaii though . . . ;)

PA 747
NW 747 and DC-10
WA DC-10
UA 747 and DC-10
CO 747 and DC-10
TW 747 and L1011
DL L1011
HA L1011 and DC-10

There was a time (1980s) when all flights to Hawaii were widebodies.
Last edited by PA110 on 25 May 22, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 25 May 22, 16:14Post
Soon enough it will be in an ATR-72 with drop tanks.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 May 22, 18:43Post
PA110 wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:I do miss the UA 742s out of SFO going to Hawaii though . . . ;)

PA 747
NW 747 and DC-10
WA DC-10
UA 747 and DC-10
CO 747 and DC-10
TW 747 and L1011
DL L1011
HA L1011 and DC-10

There was a time (1980s) when all flights to Hawaii were widebodies.

I have a pic somewhere in the ether of the gates at OGG that have DC10, L1011, 767, stop lines . . . I'll to dig it out, for posterity, format it and post it here. I remember those days.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... arking.JPG
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 26 May 22, 10:33Post
While taxiing into the gate at IAD on Tuesday I spotted an Aer Lingus A321neo at a gate. Had a chance to ask a pilot on the people mover if that was standard and he replied yes, they've been doing it for a while now.

So much is made about how Boeing missed the preverbal boat in updating or introducing a 757 replacement. How long will it be before the middle of the road airliner like the 757 is as obsolete as a 3 or 4 holer wide body?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?