You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Space

Satellites!

Everything that is sub-orbital or beyond.

vikkyvik 17 Jun 21, 20:50Post
This is freaking ridiculous.

I was in Yosemite last week with the family. Went outside one night to look at the stars. Got too overwhelmed by how many stars you could see and ran back inside (not really).

Anyway, took some long exposures. Each of these is 20 seconds. What amazed me the most is how many freaking satellites are in each photo! I count 10 satellites in the last one (along with an airplane).

Some of them were visible - over about 20 minutes outside, I saw 8-10 satellites visible to the naked eye. But I was amazed at how many are really up there, as captured during 20-second exposures!

(you should be able to right-click and open the image in a new tab to see the 1600-pixel versions)

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Jun 21, 21:10Post
Wide-angle astrophotography is very frustrating these days thanks to all of them.
DXing 18 Jun 21, 00:41Post
The real question is, how many of them made 90 degree turns, stopped in mid flight, or visibly rotated? {duck}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
bearnard95 18 Jun 21, 08:53Post
Satellite technology play an important part of our everyday life. Unfortunately, most of the microsatellites don`t have long lifespan and they increase the number of space junk. However, there is a decision of that problem. As Musk said recently,Space X is gonna make Starlink satellites will be able to lead themself in the atmosphere of Earth when their lifespan is over to burn down there and not to increase the number of space junk. It would be great if all space agencies will follow Musk`s idea.
vikkyvik 18 Jun 21, 14:40Post
Lucas wrote:Wide-angle astrophotography is very frustrating these days thanks to all of them.

It doesn't frustrate me - I kind of like capturing satellites in images.

But it is a ridiculous number of satellites!
bearnard95 23 Jun 21, 12:52Post
In some time Earth`s orbit is gonna have even bigger number of satellites. Till September 2021 Space X is gonna cover whole planet with Starlink internet connection and it`s gonna launch 42 thousand of satellites.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jun 21, 22:18Post
vikkyvik wrote:
Lucas wrote:Wide-angle astrophotography is very frustrating these days thanks to all of them.

It doesn't frustrate me - I kind of like capturing satellites in images.

But it is a ridiculous number of satellites!

My woman is the same way! I appreciate the unspoiled sky, perhaps because I am so terrible at removing the trails from my shots. :P
bearnard95 24 Jun 21, 08:20Post
I agree with you. I don`t support the number of satellites we have in the orbit of Earth. But as I have already mentioned in this thread that satellite technology is vital for our every day life. Some of the satellites are even have environmental preservation purposes like Satellite Technology and High Seas Fishing