You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

FR Flight Intercepted, Diverted By Belarus

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 May 21, 19:50Post
Belarus says it was a bomb threat, the opposition says it was to arrest a dissident who was on board.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57219860
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 May 21, 20:05Post
There are some massively sketchy goings on in Belarus at the moment and it looks like this was carefully planned to capture one of those speaking out about it. Ben of Bald and Bankrupt fame has some really interesting things to say about the country - he loves the place but won't go near after they attempted to coerce him into producing propaganda for them and made some pretty murdery-sounding threats when he refused.

From an aviation standpoint, this can only escalate issues in the region and I wouldn't be surprised to see route deviations/cancellations from airlines that are not overly enthralled about Minsk firing up one of their three working MiGs every time they carry a passenger with an opinion.
A million great ideas...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 24 May 21, 14:31Post
Minsk Airport holds Lufthansa flight over “terrorism threat”

A Lufthansa flight was delayed in Minsk due to the potential threat of a terrorist act.

Passengers were deplaned from an Airbus A319, registered as D-AIBD, about to operate flight LH1487 for Lufthansa (LHAB) (LHA) from Minsk (MSQ), Belarus, to Frankfurt (FRA), Germany.

"An e-mail was sent to the national airport by unidentified persons about the intention to commit a terrorist act onboard Lufthansa (LHAB) (LHA)'s flight LH1487 on the Minsk-Frankfurt route," Minsk airport reported. "The embarkation on this flight was suspended."

The aircraft eventually departed after a two-hour delay.

Link
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 May 21, 16:28Post
UK CAA has revoked Belavia's operating permit.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 May 21, 06:55Post
A day after stating they'd continue to fly over Belarus, Finnair have been forced to change their minds following an EU decision to ban Belarus overflights and Belarusian airlines.
Fumanchewd 25 May 21, 20:39Post
Looks like many aircraft are routing west through Poland or through the Baltic.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 28 May 21, 05:59Post
And now Russia joins in the fun:

Russia has denied entry to two European airlines because they planned to avoid flying over Belarus to get to Moscow.

Air France and Austrian Airlines have both had to cancel services after their flight plans were rejected by Russia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57271949
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 27 Jul 21, 17:14Post
Hmmm...

https://t.co/jR53JqO0RW?amp=1

Air Traffic Controller Behind Belarus Ryanair Diversion Goes Missing
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.