You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

American & DFW Expansion

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 20 May 23, 23:53Post
According to the article, American Airlines and DFW have agreed to the following:

Terminals A & C:
There will be 24 additional gates, though not specified is how those will be distributed. The article includes an artists rendition of the "new" terminal C and it looks horrible and tacked on.

Terminal F:
A new terminal to be built just south of Terminal D, it will feature 15 gates and be rectangular in shape as opposed the horseshoe-like shapes of the other terminals.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/am ... 2xu9RNTC7U
Make Orwell fiction again.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 22 May 23, 16:33Post
Meh. Just polish on a turd. I fly through DFW a lot and never enjoy it, and I can't see an expansion to A and C or the new F making a material difference to that. The better option (imo) would be to tear down B (it's one of the most ratchet, over-crowded terminals I currently traverse) and rebuild/replace that with a larger, new (F?) terminal.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 May 23, 14:17Post
I haven't flown through DFW in quite a while, the last time being 2008. Prior to that, I've flown through a few times. What struck me the moment I got of the plane in '08 was just how cramped the terminal (not sure if it was A or B) felt. It was most definitely showing it's 60s/early 70s design back then, and making people suffer for it. 2008 was also my first experience with Terminal D which was light years ahead in design and comfort.

Terminal F was to be larger in it's pre-COVID form. Those plans were shelved and the current design is scaled back. Hopefully, the current design is scalability built in so future expansion won't be a headache.

Would be nice if DFW would/could do what MCI did and just tear down one of the old terminals and rebuild from scratch, but that capacity has to go somewhere else in the meantime. Someone also has to put up the cash to do it, too.
Make Orwell fiction again.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 24 May 23, 18:01Post
Terminal A is definitely the most cramped terminal, but B isn't far behind it.

Looking at the new F design, I think you're right about scalability - much easier to extend on to a rectangle that a horseshoe - and the positioning of it has a good amount of land around it (although DFW does not lack for space).

Thankfully my regular DFW hops will be coming to an end in July and instead I will have the "joy" of regular hops through PHL instead {crazy}
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 May 23, 19:39Post
IFEMaster wrote:Meh. Just polish on a turd. I fly through DFW a lot and never enjoy it, and I can't see an expansion to A and C or the new F making a material difference to that. The better option (imo) would be to tear down B (it's one of the most ratchet, over-crowded terminals I currently traverse) and rebuild/replace that with a larger, new (F?) terminal.

Can't agree more.

DFW is not manageable without a 2 hour layover if connecting. Period. MrsANC and I, three years ago. ORD-DFW-SAT . . . 50 min in DFW. Late arrival. Change terminals. Grabbed a widget, with a cart. Go, Go, Go, that 787 isn't waiting for ever . . . .

Present day, about 6 months ago. PHX-DFW-GNV, Change terminals, sky train, some seriously fast walking for the combat wounded to make that damn train. Fortunately, outbound delayed (there's a trip report here for that). PHX was a crap show pre-departure, read the trip report. DFW is a crap shoot no matter what.

Question: When does an airport get too big to be functional and worthy. Well, DFW is there.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 26 May 23, 10:06Post
ANCFlyer wrote:DFW is a crap shoot no matter what.

Add the dynamic weather, and you have a three-layered crap sammich.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 May 23, 00:27Post
miamiair wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:DFW is a crap shoot no matter what.

Add the dynamic weather, and you have a three-layered crap sammich.

This is why a normal thinking person plans 2+ hours at a hub. . . . pick one. Anything less makes you an idiot. PHL, CLT, DFW - add an hour, DEN, LAX - add an hour.

I won't fly thru CLT any longer . . . . I'd rather spend ten hours at DFW than 30 min at CLT.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!