You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Military Aviation

US Military Airplane Used By Multiple Forces?

Your online Air Force Base.

Fumanchewd 18 Jun 22, 08:17Post
So, I was having a drink and lunch with some colleagues 2 days ago at Williams Gateway, and there were a couple of USMC F18's that were taking off. It made me think about the F35... its being operated by the AF, Navy, and USMC.

Has there been any other fighter or attack airplanes that was used by 3 branches? I can't think of any.

The only aircraft (not helicopters or attack) I can think of is the C130, Gulfstreams (used by all branches including the CG for brass and electronic surveillance), but there may be some support/cargo aircraft I can't think of?
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
DXing 18 Jun 22, 13:32Post
That's easy...the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II. Used by the Air Force, Navy, and Marines in Vietnam.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
captoveur 22 Jun 22, 17:45Post
T-6 Texan II- used for UPT by everyone.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
bhmbaglock 28 Jun 22, 00:58Post
V-22 is one.
Florida Metal 28 Jun 22, 16:33Post
he's asking about fighter or attack aircraft used by multiple. There are plenty of non fighter/attack used by multiple branches like the C-130 used by everything except the Army, other various transport aircraft

In terms of fighter/attack - pretty much the F-35, F-4 Phantom, A-7 Corsair II, I guess you could say the F-5 Freedom Fighter/Tiger II used by Air Force early on, later by Navy. The Navy has some F-16s as aggressor trainers. Air Force had some armed T-28s, not sure if the Navy did the same
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Jun 22, 00:13Post
Florida Metal wrote:he's asking about fighter or attack aircraft used by multiple. There are plenty of non fighter/attack used by multiple branches like the C-130 used by everything except the Army, other various transport aircraft

In terms of fighter/attack - pretty much the F-35, F-4 Phantom, A-7 Corsair II, I guess you could say the F-5 Freedom Fighter/Tiger II used by Air Force early on, later by Navy. The Navy has some F-16s as aggressor trainers. Air Force had some armed T-28s, not sure if the Navy did the same

Never would have thought that the Navy had any association with the lawn dart. That's cool.
Florida Metal 08 Jul 22, 09:50Post
Other US Military types non fighters but fixed wing that are used by more than two more recent aircraft-

T-6A/B Texan IIs used by Air Force, Navy, Marines
T-39 (Rockwell Sabreliner - recently retired) Army, Navy, Air Force

C-9 (DC-9 recently retired) Air Force, Navy, Marines
C-12 (Beech Super King Air) used by Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines
C-20 (Gulfstream III - recently retired) was used by all five I believe at one time
C-27 - Army, Air Force and Coast Guard
C-35 (Citation 560) used by Army, Air Force and Marines, not sure if Navy too
C-37 (Gulfstream V/550) used by Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy and Coast Guard
C-40 (Boeing 737 BBJ) used by Navy and Air Force
C-130 - Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, Marines

Also the 707 air frame used by Air Force (E-3, E-8, various C-135s and VC-137) and the Navy (E-6)
Fumanchewd 14 Aug 22, 05:50Post
Thank you gentlemen. I didn't realize the Phantom was used by all of the main branches. Also the A7 is a good one along with the F5 and V22.

Also noting the training aircraft and Florida Metals extensive list.

Good stuff.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."