You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

AA Passengers Told Hands Up Last Hour

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 11 Jul 21, 13:52Post
My wife told me about this the other day but busy is busy. I read the story in the link, as well as from several other sources, and I have to say a few questions come to mind. First, who ordered the hands on the head? The captain? Who enforces that? The flight attendants? And how do they enforce that? Last hour of the flight? If the problem was that serious why not divert immediately? An hour back LAX to MIA would give you TPA or MSY as decent diverts. Just seems like an odd way to go about a perceived security threat. I know my arms would fall asleep if I tried to hold them over my head for an hour or more. What about a mother or family with small kids? Kids need attending too unless you got lucky and they were asleep the entire time. I'd just like to hear the rationale behind the idea of everyone putting their hands on their heads, as if being masked wasn't bad enough.

American Airlines ordered everyone on a Miami-bound flight to put their hands on their heads for about an hour due to an unspecified “possible security threat”, passengers say.

“Passengers were ordered to put their hands on their heads for 45-60 minutes before landing,” Chris Nguyen, who was on the flight, wrote on Twitter. “Strangely, passengers were repeatedly told not to film on the plane.”

https://news.yahoo.com/american-airlines-orders-passengers-put-162816321.html
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 12 Jul 21, 17:37Post
News on this is sketchy.

Link
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Jul 21, 21:07Post
DXing wrote: I'd just like to hear the rationale behind the idea of everyone putting their hands on their heads

Strangely, passengers were repeatedly told not to film on the plane

That's why. Much of the talk on twitter was that a passenger became very agitated making some serious allegations about a crew member to which the default setting seemed to be to stop passengers recording/live streaming. Plausible deniability etc.
A million great ideas...
paul mcallister 13 Jul 21, 00:40Post
I wouldn`t be doing that. I suffer from a frozen right shoulder, and can`t hold my right arm above my right ear, let alone put it on my head.

Too many birthdays syndrome.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 13 Jul 21, 18:17Post
Ironic video here: https://twitter.com/imaNguyener/status/ ... 59110?s=20

WTF? This is odd in so many ways.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
Mark 14 Jul 21, 21:16Post
paul mcallister wrote:I wouldn`t be doing that. I suffer from a frozen right shoulder, and can`t hold my right arm above my right ear, let alone put it on my head.

Too many birthdays syndrome.

Similar here, Paul. My left shoulder is messed up after lifting patients and ambulance cots for nearly 40 years. I'm on US Social Security Disability because of it. My left shoulder is rehabbed and in fine shape right now, but if I had to hold it in that police-style "hands on your head" position for more than a few minutes, I'd be in pain again and back in physical therapy for months trying to get it to move right.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175