You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Flying Pet Peeves

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Mar 21, 12:12Post
I detest when you select your seat only to find out in the
"less than 24 hours before your flight" period that the airline has picked a different seat for you sans notice. Happens in first, happens in coach...I hate it.

What bugs you?
vikkyvik 17 Mar 21, 14:10Post
1.) Not having a window seat.
2.) Having to close my window shade.
3.) People trying to move to empty premium (extra $$) seats after takeoff.
4.) Sitting in the window seat of the last row on an MD-80 (no window + engine noise + lav smell....probably the most claustrophobic seat I've sat in).
5.) The fact that during the safety announcement, B6 flight attendants do not point to the exits. I have no idea why this bothers me, but I almost want to point for them when I hear "this aircraft is equipped with 8 emergency exits....two at the rear of the cabin..." and they're just standing there.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 21, 14:11Post
Having lost your seat

People with large ass carry-on's that ditch them in the first class overheads and walk to the ass end of the airplane.

Stinky seat neighbors

Running out of bourbon

Not having a gate open and getting put into the penalty box making your connection a 5K race

TSA and their BS

Lack of courtesy
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Mark 17 Mar 21, 15:15Post
Regional jets with windows too far apart. As a result, fewer people end up with proper window seats.

People who wear flip flops on airplanes (and the related stinky bare feet). Good luck escaping the plane during an emergency wearing flip flops. Closed-toe shoes are a smart choice.

People who lack geometric intelligence. If the carry-on doesn't fit in the overhead bin, try turning it 90 degrees. Pushing on it harder doesn't do anything.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Mar 21, 15:44Post
Vik, 1, 2 suck. Can't stand not having a window seat. I only once got the terrible seat you mention at the back of the Mad Dog, except I ALSO had a seatmate with stinky breath, and a guy with bowel distress. Nov 2007. I will never forget that horrible flight.

Miamiair, had the TSA being nigh-abusive to people today. It really pisses me off to watch.

Mark, you brought up a good one, so I'll add:

Ending up with a misaligned window after picking a window seat.

Today during premier check-in, the agent was on his phone texting the whole time. I needed to make some changes, and he kept texting.

Eventually he just walked off and told some other lady, "You handle him..."

Just walked off texting.

So another for "lack of courtesy."
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 21, 15:59Post
In 'rona times:

- Not being able to fly where I want to
- Being on an ATR wherever I can fly (i.e., HEL and, um, HEL)
- Doing away with priority boarding for social-distancing reasons, then having everyone take off their masks to drink blueberry juice

In normal times:

- Stepping off the bus ready to go through security, only to get stuck behind some complete asshat with coat, hat, gloves and belt still on who can't remember where he put his iShiny and has half a pharmacy randomly scattered throughout his three items of carry-on.
- The same asshat, in the fast-track lane
- The same asshat, now in a window seat, who's left his iShiny in the bag he put in the overhead ten rows for'ard and absolutely must get it while the rest of us are trying to board
- The asshat (possibly the same one) behind who thinks that the back of MY armrest is HIS footrest {sick}

In short:

- Asshats
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 21, 16:00Post
Lucas wrote:Today during premier check-in, the agent was on his phone texting the whole time. I needed to make some changes, and he kept texting.

Just walked off texting.

I hope you complained to corporate about that. There are a whole lot of furloughed people out there who actually want their airline jobs.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 21, 16:55Post
Always check www.seatguru.com. Helps picking out your seats.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Mark 17 Mar 21, 16:59Post
miamiair wrote:Always check http://www.seatguru.com. Helps picking out your seats.

{thumbsup}
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
Paul Chandler1 17 Mar 21, 17:58Post
People who walk barefoot around the cabin and into the toilets. There will be liquid on the floor there and not much of it is water
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Mar 21, 21:31Post
I like seatguru, but today I got a misaligned window that was just bad enough to be annoying. It didn't show up on the seatmaps.

Shan, after that the agent at the desk told me that he could see seats available but not allocate them to me, and he wasn't sure why.

The two "contact us" agents didn't help and disconnected.

At the airport, customer service told me, and I quote, "Well in the system the seats don't "belong" to you, and we swapped AC types.

I told her that I pay attention to airplanes and that wasn't true. She then said I was never assigned to my seat in first! Witch! I have the receipts!

Showed her that and she said, "Well seats get jumbled all the time, but we're not changing things every time that happens. Contact United to talk to them about it."

That was at UNITED CUSTOMER SERVICE IN PERSON! No kidding, contacted a chat agent who said only the airport can change seats. I let him have it and went up yet another agent.

She pulled out her earbuds and said, "What? Well what do you want?"

"Any window seat in first, please. And thank you for being the first to care. I'm not upset at you, but the situation." (I tried to clarify that to everyone but the weirdo.)

She was still rude, handed me a new ticket. I told her, "Thank you ma'am," but she just went back to looking down and ignored me.

So, I'm summary, a bunch of ignoramuses or liars or both, but one grumpy woman who at least did her job.

Otoh, segments yesterday were great. On my the other, other hand, I bought some idiot coworker a ticket, he somehow got a free displacement to first class, with no thanks or offer to switch with me.

What a bunch of segments!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 21, 21:48Post
Lucas wrote:UNITED

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Mar 21, 22:04Post
Paul Chandler1 wrote:People who walk barefoot around the cabin and into the toilets. There will be liquid on the floor there and not much of it is water

{check} That has always troubled me.

There's currently a new hypocrisy on airlines where other passengers will, often openly, question why you're flying. I have perfected my over-the-mask look of utter disdain to the point where I could be wearing a templar helmet and they'd still get the point.

Then there's being a dual national flying to the states {bored}
A million great ideas...
paul mcallister 17 Mar 21, 23:18Post
Mine would be :

Other passengers.
Waiting in terminal for your flight to be called.
Baggage reclaim.

Basically it`s almost all other passengers that bug me - I wish I could afford to hire a private jet.
md88dawg 18 Mar 21, 00:07Post
People who pull on your seat back to get up.

Passengers who hog the arm rest into your seat space--it's a common courtesy for the middle seat passenger to get the armrest, but when their elbow extends over a certain amount, that crosses a line.

People who push on your seat back to sleep forward on the tray table. Understandably, this is easier on some folks' backs, but seats are so much flimsier now that slimline is "in."

IFE/Wifi that does not work.

People who close your window shade (non-sun side) while you've been to the bathroom. Yes, that happened to me once.

On WN, having the rest of the plane behind you with empty middle seats, and the last pax come in and take up the two seats right beside you. Yes, that happened to me twice on a transcon.

Losing leg room.

The loss of under-seat space for camera bags.

Gate lice.

People who order the most odorous food from the terminal and wait until they are on the plane to eat it.

The flopping sounds that F9/NK "arm" rests make when people get up. And when kids play with them.

Basic Economy pricing offering what was previously Main Cabin with fewer benefits.
PA110 (Founding Member) 18 Mar 21, 03:49Post
Bin Hogs: People who load their carry-ons sideways and/or put every thing they own in the bin, taking all the shared space.

Also related: People who put their carry-ons in the bin, only to jump up every 4.5 nanoseconds to retrieve or return an item.

People who don't observe an orderly disembarkation. Let the folks in the row ahead of you get into the aisle before you jump ahead and block everyone with your carry-on.

People who use your seatback to get up. There's nothing like getting jolted out of a sound sleep by the guy behind you.

Women with long hair who toss it over the seatback, blocking your screen.

People who put their feet up in the armrest gap between seats.

People who demand you give up the seat you paid a premium for so that they can sit together.

Women with micro-bladders who need to get up and pee every 14.5 seconds, yet keep guzzling from their 15 gallon water bottle to stay hydrated.

IFE that requires you sit through 15 minutes of advertising to watch a 20 minute TV episode. (Air Canada, I'm looking at you!)

Legroom taken by IFE boxes.

Absurdly small seat-back pockets. (United, step forward)

Overly chatty in-flight announcements.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If any of the above gives you the impression I'm a grumpy flyer, I'm actually not. I board, I sit down, I rarely get up out of my seat. I watch IFE, look out the window, or snooze. I don't make any demands of the crew, and rarely chat with seat mates.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 Mar 21, 08:35Post
PA110 wrote:Women with long hair who toss it over the seatback, blocking your screen.

On my way to the LAX meet, I had that. Then (despite having the exit row and more space than business class) she reclined hard enough to swing her ponytail into my face. {mad} Needless to say, I sent said ponytail back whence it had come.

JLAmber wrote:There's currently a new hypocrisy on airlines where other passengers will, often openly, question why you're flying. I have perfected my over-the-mask look of utter disdain to the point where I could be wearing a templar helmet and they'd still get the point.

Wow. And people wonder why I mutter "F***ing humans" under my breath so much...

PA110 wrote:If any of the above gives you the impression I'm a grumpy flyer, I'm actually not. I board, I sit down, I rarely get up out of my seat. I watch IFE, look out the window, or snooze. I don't make any demands of the crew, and rarely chat with seat mates.

I'm a grumpy boarder, I freely admit it. I'm usually boarding in group 1 (and in corona times I pick my seat row to make sure that happens, even if it means I'm last off). The objective is to march straight down the pipe, straight to my seat, sit down, bag down, belt up, shut up, with zero human interaction beyond a friendly "terve" to the crew. Then I can relax and look out the window while the madness happens. Unless some huge Russian bounces an equally huge rucksack off the middle seat and onto me... had that, too.

Getting stuck in the pipe with 100 other people while the 100 already on board sort their lives out is not my idea of fun.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 18 Mar 21, 10:04Post
I think all the above pretty much covers it :))

Though I will add, on Trans-Atlantic flights I've started to opt for aisle seats as opposed to windows as I visit the toilet far too often for some reason on aircraft and this means I'm not having to climb over another passenger. Plus there isn't usually much to see on a TA flight.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Mar 21, 11:49Post
I've been taking the aisle seat recently as well.

But one that absolutely drives me stark raving mad: getting the window, and closing the shade the second they sit down, but get up every fifteen minutes to visit the lav...
bhmbaglock 18 Mar 21, 13:09Post
Agree with a lot of these. One I didn't see mentioned was people putting carry on bags under a seat not in front of them. I've had multiple instances where I get to my seat and there's already a bag under the seat in front of me. First few times, I tried reasoning with people then escalating to FAs. Now I just grab it and toss it in the aisle and let God sort it out.
DXing 18 Mar 21, 19:10Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
Lucas wrote:Today during premier check-in, the agent was on his phone texting the whole time. I needed to make some changes, and he kept texting.

Just walked off texting.

I hope you complained to corporate about that. There are a whole lot of furloughed people out there who actually want their airline jobs.

There are some airlines that issue phones not only to the flight attendants but the gate agents as well and that is how they stay in touch/give updates rather than have a radio blaring information they'd rather not have go public. Like an upcoming aircraft/gate swap or details about an inbound sick passenger. Not saying that this person wasn't doing personal stuff on the company dime but it's also not always the case anymore.

ShanwickOceanic wrote:
Lucas wrote:UNITED

Hey, part of United used to be Continental. That's who I worked for and thought so until the day I retired. Still a lot of CO employees there...can't blame them for the '50's think a lot of old UA management has.

Lucas wrote:That was at UNITED CUSTOMER SERVICE IN PERSON! No kidding, contacted a chat agent who said only the airport can change seats. I let him have it and went up yet another agent.

Depending on how close it is to departure, that is actually true. Once the gate agents handling the flight sign in to work the flight, ACA, and even the ticket counter out front are locked out and only the agent at the gate can make changes. Eliminates them solving a problem only to have it undone by somebody hundreds or thousands of miles away.

mhodgson wrote:I think all the above pretty much covers it :))

Though I will add, on Trans-Atlantic flights I've started to opt for aisle seats as opposed to windows as I visit the toilet far too often for some reason on aircraft and this means I'm not having to climb over another passenger. Plus there isn't usually much to see on a TA flight.

Yep, that's why I loved BF on the 764 so much. I would make sure the gate agent knew that if a middle seat in BF was open I would like to have it. That way I could get up to my left or right and not have to climb over anybody or even talk to anyone for the entire flight!

My peeves?

Parents who can't control their bratty children. I had a kid kicking the back of my seat with a parent that would not escalate past "now stop that". Finally got up as if going to the bathroom and had a chat with the F/A. Not too long after I sat down she meandered up the aisle as if looking to see if she could do anything for anyone and caught the kid red handed. She didn't mince any words with either the kid or the parent. I really appreciated that F/A.

People who act as if there is no one waiting on them to get their act together and get off the plane. They get into the aisle, put their coat on. Take their time getting their carry on down, rearrange stuff and finally start moving towards the exit. Worse yet is someone talking on their phone and trying to do all this one handed.

Getting to the middle seat, and having the walrus in the row look like me like I'm the one taking up their room when they are already spilling over into my seat. I've moved back into basic economy before to avoid being smashed between two people just waiting for a cardiac arrest or kidney failure to happen.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Mar 21, 01:15Post
In no particular order:

Kids.

Kitchen sink in the overheads iceholes.

Cattle car tards putting their shit above my seat (row 1). ** Happened in ANC last week. Remedied in short order.

Idiots that don't understand the TSA Pre-Check process and wanna undress in the friggin' line.

Anyone with a kid that stands in front of the boarding door whilst breaking down the little bastard's stroller holding up everyone else trying to board.

Window shade will stay OPEN.

Leave me alone. I am not your friend, I don't intend to be your friend, I don't give a hoot who you are going to visit, where you went to school, or the best restaurant in potown city, USA.

Leave your nasty feet unobserved and leave them off the bulkhead . . .

{drillsergeant}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Mar 21, 10:33Post
I have found one way to keep the windows shade open from both F/As and asshole passengers:

Tell them you are claustrophobic.

Problem solved.
captoveur 19 Mar 21, 19:22Post
ANCFlyer wrote:In no particular order:

Anyone with a kid that stands in front of the boarding door whilst breaking down the little bastard's stroller holding up everyone else trying to board.

As someone with a 1 year old, it takes me 5 second flat to break down that stroller. I question how some of these people have been parenting their kid if they can't do these routine tasks drunk and in the dark.

As for my list.

Honestly, 99% of the time the people getting paid to be on the airplane are doing their best. The most irritating part of flying is the other passengers.

dont take a window seat if you are just going to close the shade

sit in your damn seat. get the crap you need out of your bag before you even get on the plane.

if you know you are going to be peeing all the time, im confident the person in the aisle seat will gladly swap with you

when the flight runs out of bourbon

charging for water- WOW did this and it doesn't shock me they went bankrupt if you are that cheap.

standing up in the aisle before the plane stops

everyone standing up at once
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
PA110 (Founding Member) 19 Mar 21, 21:22Post
captoveur wrote:if you know you are going to be peeing all the time, im confident the person in the aisle seat will gladly swap with you

I flew SFO-YYZ on the aisle, and girl (early 30s) at the window got up to pee almost every 10-15 minutes. After the 5th time, I offered to switch seats. I didn't giver her any looks and tried to remain pleasant and accommodating. She said she really wanted the window (the shade was down the whole time). She just wanted to prop her head against it when not peeing. It was really annoying. I tried again about an hour later, this time mentioning how frequently she gets up. I got a very snotty "Sorry it's such an inconvenience" from her. She didn't get up again until we landed.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.