You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Emirates To Pay $1.63 Million for missing bag

All about Airlines and Airliners.

airtrainer 12 Jan 21, 23:54Post
A Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered Emirates to pay a staggering $1.63 million to a single businessman for losing his luggage. The bag, which is reported to have contained the said sum of money in cash, was lost 12 years ago on a trip to China. On top of replacing the money, Emirates has been fined 50 million Nigerian Naira in damages, which equates to around $131,000.

Full article
Grounded...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Jan 21, 23:56Post
Wait, the Nigerian prince thing is real?!
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 13 Jan 21, 11:08Post
I was always under the impression that the Warsaw* convention limited airlines' responsibility for bags to a set amount; any insurance over that would be the passengers responsibility.

*Possibly one of the other ones!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Jan 21, 23:24Post
mhodgson wrote:I was always under the impression that the Warsaw* convention limited airlines' responsibility for bags to a set amount; any insurance over that would be the passengers responsibility.

*Possibly one of the other ones!

The Warsaw Convention would be correct had Nigeria ever been party to it, which they weren't. Nigeria have signed a limited agreement under the Montreal Convention but only agree to the sections that cover losses in the event of an air disaster.

A Federal High Court in Lagos

Probably the same court that in 1998 ruled that the Nigerian government were permitted to name their own binding price in all contract negotiations and ordered Airbus to deliver 6 A330s for the princely (pardon the pun) sum of $20M. Strange how Airbus sold zero aircraft to such a huge country (we will lease you some ex-VS tat, or you can ask some nice Portuguese chaps to run a few routes for you) for so long afterwards, before Green popped up ordering a job-lot of A220s with a huge down payment of Chinese cash, paying upfront for a few lease birds to tide them over.

Yeah, Nigeria.
A million great ideas...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Jan 21, 09:23Post
^ That was going to be my next pondering; whether Emirates will ever get round to paying it or whether they may do something creative to ensure Nigerian passengers don't carry round suitcases full of gold.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Jan 21, 20:43Post
mhodgson wrote:^ That was going to be my next pondering; whether Emirates will ever get round to paying it or whether they may do something creative to ensure Nigerian passengers don't carry round suitcases full of gold.

I'd bet the $8M that a Nigerian prince once promised to transfer to me there will be a creative solution that involves this money never being paid and and agreements being put in place to limit EK's liability in such cases.
A million great ideas...