You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Nasty Argument Between Cessna Pilot and Vegas

All about Airlines and Airliners.

aviatellc 27 Jun 20, 07:15Post
Also context for non aviation friends, class bravo airspace referenced here is some of the most tightly controlled civilian air spaces. They tend to encircle very high traffic regions like Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, DC, etc... All airplanes entering are required to get clearance before doing so from a controller so that ATC can keep all traffic safe from each other and avoid any collisions. This guy in the video just waddled in without clearance and when told to leave, refused which is a SUPER RULE BREAK and will leave him with some very not fun time-out time with the FAA.
Attachments
27-6.jpeg
27-6.jpeg (129.74 KiB) Viewed 892 times
DXing 01 Jul 20, 17:02Post
Don't quite understand why she didn't give him a clearance. He said he was going to Henderson and she acknowledged that, how did she think he was going to get from his present position to Henderson? That being said, she never did explicitly clear him so he was wrong to continue forward. My guess is if this ends up as an action against the pilot, it will be for failing to exit the class B airspace when told to do so. To the controller, a warning to use better verbiage, either issue a clearance or make sure the PIC confirms they do not have clearance to transition the B class airspace.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
paul mcallister 18 Jul 20, 11:17Post
I don`t see a link for this, I am just getting a pic of the control tower.

Maybe a browser problem, I am using Edge, any ideas folks ?
DXing 18 Jul 20, 11:38Post
I use edge and had the same problem. Had to google it to find a link. I should have included in my post. Sorry about that. Here's what I found. First is a press story.

https://onemileatatime.com/atc-audio-negligent-pilot/

Second is you tube audio of the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUSUXnr4dSo
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
paul mcallister 21 Jul 20, 16:23Post
Thanks for posting the link :)

Like you I think both were in the wrong, but obviously the controller less so.
She knew where he was going, so she could have reminded him, or prompted him in some way that he needed the clearance well before he needed it.
He carried on without clearance which was not clever,it does not excuse his arrogant response and refusal to leave the airspace when instructed, toys from pram syndrome, and he sounds like a brat.

I don`t see why the controller at Henderson apologised either, wasn`t his place to do so, but maybe just wanted to calm Mr Angry down.
Doubtless the FAA will throw the book at him, he didn`t do himself any favours, and the controller could have done better.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 22 Jul 20, 17:24Post
I side with the controller. On a VFR flight, the PIC is responsible for obtaining a clearance into the Bravo Airspace.

It's important to note that the PIC claims he requested clearance into the Bravo, but the audio clip doesn't include this, so at present it isn't possible to verify this. The controller, though, asserts that no clearance was given.

The most troubling aspect, for me, is the PIC's attitude. He literally sounds like a spoiled child not getting his way.

paul mcallister wrote:I don`t see why the controller at Henderson apologised either, wasn`t his place to do so, but maybe just wanted to calm Mr Angry down.

I'm sure the Henderson Tower controller only has one side of the issue (from the PIC) so the controller was just being polite.
Make Orwell fiction again.