You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Flybe: Circling the Drain, Again?

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jan 20, 13:08Post
Flybe has declined to comment on media reports that the airline is in crisis talks in an attempt to put together a rescue deal.

According to Sky News, Flybe, which has already been bailed out once, has been struggling to secure fresh finance.

All of the airline's flights are currently operating as normal.

It said it was focusing on "providing great service and connectivity for our customers, to ensure that they can continue to travel as planned".

Flybe, the UK's biggest regional carrier, added: "We don't comment on rumour or speculation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51089118
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jan 20, 15:55Post
In news that will surprise nobody, the promised £100m investment from Virgin and Stobart hasn't happened, leaving flyBe struggling to keep their operation running. Meanwhile Virgin and Stobart have had access to every aspect of their operation and are in a very strong position to install Stobart on all their most profitable routes, should flyBe fail this time. I'm sure that wasn't the plan all along...
A million great ideas...
HT-ETNW 13 Jan 20, 16:37Post
Will it be easier for Flybe to receive any subsidies from next month on, i.e. post-Brexit ? Those strict EU-regulations on subsidies no longer should apply then, right ?
-HT
Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jan 20, 22:13Post
HT-ETNW wrote:Will it be easier for Flybe to receive any subsidies from next month on, i.e. post-Brexit ? Those strict EU-regulations on subsidies no longer should apply then, right ?
-HT

I'm not sure if the UK government plan to wait for any post-Brexit subversion of EU rules. There is a lot of political shenanigans involved but the message seems to be that Italy has done it for years so why can't we?
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jan 20, 22:34Post
The government has agreed a rescue plan for troubled regional airline Flybe.

Ministers agreed to work with Flybe to figure out a repayment plan for a significant tax debt that is thought to top £100m.

Meanwhile, the firm's owners have agreed to pump more money into the loss-making airline.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51113895
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Jan 20, 23:20Post
Now BA / IAG are complaining about a potential state bailout for BE . Is anyone else old enough to remember the 8 years when BA were state funded post-privatisation?

A decent article on the petulant ego of a certain IAG exec and the recognition of the planned decline of BE : https://www.theguardian.com/business/ni ... stays-true
A million great ideas...
paul mcallister 20 Jan 20, 22:23Post
IMHO the government should not be helping Flybe, Virgin and Stobart bought the airline for next to nothing (£2.8 million) and by all accounts have done little with it.
I really don`t think the UK government should be getting involved in this at all.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Jan 20, 15:18Post
paul mcallister wrote:IMHO the government should not be helping Flybe, Virgin and Stobart bought the airline for next to nothing (£2.8 million) and by all accounts have done little with it.
I really don`t think the UK government should be getting involved in this at all.

I have no skin in the game, but I'd be of that sentiment.