You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Ukraine International 737 crash in Iran

All about Airlines and Airliners.

airtrainer 08 Jan 20, 06:06Post
176 killed after Ukraine International Airlines plane crashes in Tehran shortly after takeoff
CNN-All 176 people on board a Ukraine International Airlines flight were killed when it crashed shortly after takeoff from Imam Khomeini Airport in Tehran, the country's state-run Press TV reported.
The Boeing 737 jet took off early Wednesday morning with 167 passengers and nine crew on board, Press TV reported, citing Ali Khashani, a senior public relations official at the airport.
Link
Grounded...
airtrainer 08 Jan 20, 06:13Post
Aircraft is identified as UR-PSR.

Grounded...
Yokes 08 Jan 20, 07:27Post
Iran's semi-official news agency ISNA reported the crash was due to technical difficulties.

Very early to say anything about the causes so shortly after the crash.
airtrainer 08 Jan 20, 08:14Post
airtrainer 08 Jan 20, 08:31Post
Grounded...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 08 Jan 20, 12:39Post
Some of the photos show skin sections with punctures similar to those made by high velocity fragments. Start the game of wait and see.

Vadym Prystaiko, Ukraine's Foreign Minister, announced the nationalities of those on board the crashed jet.

He tweeted: "We are currently aware of the following information on the countries of origin of those killed in the crash £PS752 : Iran - 82; Canada - 63; Ukraine - 2 + 9 (crew); Sweden - 10; Afghanistan - 4; Germany - 3; United Kingdom - 3. We express our condolences. The Ukrainian authorities continue to investigate."

Link
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 08 Jan 20, 13:29Post
That is a lot of Canadians.

According to AvHerald, the Ukrainian Embassy in Tehran withdrew its earlier "engine failure" statement and issued a travel warning.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jan 20, 13:45Post
The video of it going down made it look like it was on fire, with a large explosion before impact, too.

If the video was real. An oopsie?
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jan 20, 13:48Post
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 08 Jan 20, 15:11Post
Can't search for the source at the moment but the talking heads on the tube this morning said Iranian government wasn't going to release the black box information...

Edit...source-

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-iran-plane-crash-black-box-boeing-2020-1
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 08 Jan 20, 16:09Post
miamiair wrote:Some of the photos show skin sections with punctures similar to those made by high velocity fragments. Start the game of wait and see.

I saw the photos. Is it possible that these punctures could have been caused by an uncontained engine failure? The wings of QF32 looked like they had been shelled as well.

OTOH, it's not like nobody was firing stuff through the air in that region at that time. And the conclusion that the crash has been caused by a technical problem came indeed awfully quick.

A new MH17 certainly cannot be ruled out at this stage.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jan 20, 21:43Post
Could be a very unfortunate coincidence....

There are few things supporting the uncontained engine failure theory, mainly that there was a fault reported on the inbound, but also that it wouldn't have come down as shown in the video had it been hit by a missile (though it does look similar to anti-aircraft artillery hits). Also, why would Iran go after so many of their own people?

ShanwickOceanic wrote:That is a lot of Canadians.

Mostly Iranian Canadians who had travelled to the homeland for a wedding and a winter holiday, according to reports.
A million great ideas...
paul mcallister 08 Jan 20, 21:50Post
The shoot down theory does look like a possibility, what I find very disturbing is Joe Public wading through what is basically a crime scene taking video to put on social media. If Iran will not co-operate with the crash investigation which seems likely, then it is going to be difficult to find out what actually happened.
The fact the aircraft underwent recent maintenance is also a concern.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 08 Jan 20, 23:11Post
As far as I can tell, all they've said so far is that they won't hand the recorders over to the NTSB or to Boeing, which isn't the same as not co-operating no matter how much the media would like it to be. Fairly sure the Ethiopian authorities said much the same when the ET MAX went in, ultimately deciding to send them to the French BEA.

As country of manufacture, the US is entitled to have representation in the investigation, and so far I haven't heard anything that suggests they won't. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jan 20, 10:52Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:As country of manufacture, the US is entitled to have representation in the investigation, and so far I haven't heard anything that suggests they won't. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct, but does the GE/SNECMA/CFM and Boeing Reps have the required visas or other incredibly difficult to obtain permissions???
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jan 20, 16:33Post
Ukraine International crash investigation: mapping the first dots

A day after the crash of a Ukraine International flight in Tehran that killed 176 people, hypotheses start to emerge regarding the cause. However, given the current political climate, the investigation could prove complicated.

In a press conference following the catastrophe, Ukraine International Airlines (UIA) says pilot mistake “improbable”. “Given the pilots’ experience, it is very difficult to say that the accident could be related to them,“ VP Operations Igor Sosnovsky, yet adding that Tehran airport was complex, and that UIA has been using it for years to evaluate the reaction of its flight crew when facing an emergency.

After they refused to hand the flight data recorders to the U.S. National Transport Bureau (NTSB), the Iranian authorities have yet to take a decision on the agency that will be in charge of extracting the data. The assistance from the French BEA (already in charge of extracting the Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX data) or the Russian MAK could be requested. The Iran Civil Aviation Organization (CAO) published an “initial report” in which it says that while the devices were successfully recovered, they both present damages from the crash and the ensuing fire. “The main memory part of both devices is available,” it says, “but physical damage is visible.” Despite their refusal to hand the flight recorders, they formally invited the NTSB to participate in the investigation. However, sanctions on the Islamic country may prevent the U.S. authorities to cooperate.

Read more here.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 09 Jan 20, 17:29Post
Great.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukrainian-flight-752-shot-down-by-anti-aircraft-missile-2020-1

Ukrainian International Airlines Flight 752 is suspected to have been hit by fire from a Russian-built Tor M-1 (SA-15) surface-to-air missile system operated by the Iranian military, according to multiple reports.

Pentagon officials told Newsweek that the incident is believed to have been an accident, as anti-aircraft systems were likely active at the time of the suspected shoot down.The Pentagon could not confirm the report for Insider.

Not...terribly surprising but...yet another black eye in this ridiculous...situation. It's rather tragic this one cost the lives of 176 people...
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jan 20, 18:33Post
Zak wrote:the conclusion that the crash has been caused by a technical problem came indeed awfully quick.

"Technical problem" is delightfully vague. As I recall, our floatplane flight was cancelled due to a "technical problem", namely that the aircraft was on its back in the harbour. Which, technically, is a problem...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jan 20, 21:44Post
An increasing number of sources seem to support the theory that the aircraft was shot down by anti-aircraft artillery.

A targeted attack seems unlikely, though, as none of the conflict parties would have any apparent reason to shoot that plane down.

Seems this is indeed MH17 all over again.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jan 20, 21:58Post
Zak wrote:Seems this is indeed MH17 all over again.

UIA avoid getting shot down in all that mess at home, only to get taken out by the guys who lost an A300 to an accidental shootdown {boggled}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 10 Jan 20, 00:09Post
A video emerged that is said to be showing a rocket being fired at, and ultimately hitting PS752.

The NYT contacted the person who published it and received the original video file. Bellingcat has analyzed it and geolocated the videographer's position.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/20 ... an-suburb/

As for the question why the videographer was filming at that time, it is said that there had been a first missile launch moments before, prompting the person to start recording.

It all looks pretty legit to me.

As for the recent photos showing pieces of a detonated Tor M-1 anti-aircraft missile - these could not be verified or geolocated yet.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 11 Jan 20, 08:42Post
Iran changed their narrative. From "technical problem" to "human error". With the human(s) in question being Iranian military member(s).

Iran's president issued an apology on Twitter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... entionally
halls120 (Plank Owner) 11 Jan 20, 09:49Post
It was most definitely shot down.

After 3 days of lying about it - "it was scientifically impossible" for Iran to have shot it down, now the Iranian press is claiming that it was the pilot's fault - he realized he was carrying too much fuel and turned around to return to the airport. {crazy}
At home in the PNW and loving it
paul mcallister 11 Jan 20, 13:12Post
Iran has now admitted it shot the aircraft down by mistake.

The military said the jet turned towards a sensitive site belonging to Iran's Revolutionary Guards and was then mistaken for a cruise missile.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51073621
DXing 11 Jan 20, 18:07Post
halls120 wrote:It was most definitely shot down.

After 3 days of lying about it - "it was scientifically impossible" for Iran to have shot it down, now the Iranian press is claiming that it was the pilot's fault - he realized he was carrying too much fuel and turned around to return to the airport. {crazy}

So he could then compound the problem by landing overweight? You have to wonder about government press releases. Never seems to be much thought put in to them.

Blame falls soley on the Iranians. Completely irresponsible to allow the airport and airspace to remain open at that night.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?