You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Do228 Crash in Congo

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 Nov 19, 16:35Post
At least 27 people have died after a passenger plane crashed into houses in the city of Goma in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, local officials say.

[...]

The Dornier-228 twin-turboprop aircraft - owned by private carrier Busy Bee - crashed about a minute after take-off, a source at Goma airport told the BBC.

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50536220
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Nov 19, 21:40Post
Not a place you want to ditch. From the maps it looks like a sea of slums.

There is a reason DR Congo airlines are banned from the EU and large swathes of Asia and the tragic thing is there's really no need for the current situation. Some colleagues who have worked in Central Africa lately have mentioned that airlines out there are paying way more to officials to look the other way than it would cost to get approved maintenance services in. Meanwhile, innocent travellers pay for a cowboy culture with their lives.
A million great ideas...
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 25 Nov 19, 20:33Post
JLAmber wrote:Not a place you want to ditch. From the maps it looks like a sea of slums.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing when AA587 went down.

JLAmber wrote:There is a reason DR Congo airlines are banned from the EU and large swathes of Asia and the tragic thing is there's really no need for the current situation. Some colleagues who have worked in Central Africa lately have mentioned that airlines out there are paying way more to officials to look the other way than it would cost to get approved maintenance services in. Meanwhile, innocent travellers pay for a cowboy culture with their lives.

Please explain how "cowboys" equate to the current state of the passenger airline business in Central Africa. Asking for a friend. ;)
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.