You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Aviation Photography

Motive Requests - Earn Extra Miles!

Discuss with fellow aviation photographers, and share your latest shots here.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Aug 12, 09:45Post
Our photo database is growing constantly, and with it, the motive variety.

But every now and then, we do not find the right picture, e.g. to illustrate a news item in the netAirspace Daily. Also, more variety is always a good thing.

Thus, we offer following miles rewards for uploading motives that are new to the database. All photos with an ID higher than 25,000 qualify for the bonuses.

Regular motive bonuses:

• New airline - 5,000 miles. Every photo of a new-to-the-db airline* qualifies for this bonus.
  • New airport - 5,000 miles. Every photo from a new-to-the-db airport* qualifies for this bonus.
  • New colors - 2,500 miles. Every first photo of a retro scheme, new full airline color scheme or full special scheme* qualifies for this bonus, if the color scheme is fully visible in the photo.
  • New airline/aircraft combination I - 5,000 miles. Every "first photo of an A350 / A380 / 747-8i / 787-8 / 787-9 / CSeries for this airline" showing a full airline color scheme* qualifies for this bonus.
  • New airline/aircraft combination II - 1,000 miles. Every "first photo of this aircraft type* with this airline", involving other types than the above mentioned, qualifies for this bonus.
  • New airport/airline combination - 1,000 miles. Every "first photo of this airline at this airport" combination qualifies for this bonus.

A few definitions:
  • Airline: an operator with a recognizable color scheme. No all-white aircraft or single aircraft charter operators. The airline in a specific photo is defined by the colors. E.g. an aircraft in Condor colors that is operated by SmartLynx is considered a Condor aircraft.
  • Airport: an airfield that at least had an active IATA code when the photo was taken.
  • Special color scheme: a full special livery or special motive, not just a small sticker or a clown nose.
  • Full airline color scheme: a fully painted livery; aircraft that are still partially in primer colors, or that show remains of old liveries do not count as "in full airline colors".
  • Aircraft type: e.g. A330-200, Boeing 737-800 etc. An A330-343X is considered a new type for an airline that only operated A330-200 before, but not for an airline that also operates A330-323.

Please note that new regs do not qualify for extra Miles bonuses.

Special motive requests:

• Canadian Airlines "Proud Wings" livery (20,000 miles per type - sponsored by ShanwickOceanic) Got: 747 A320
  • "Flying HONU": First homepage-worthy shot of an ANA "turtle" A380 in full paint, 25,000 miles per airframe (sponsored by ShanwickOceanic)

Only the first photo is eligible for an award. If a photographer uploads several photos of the same motive, they will be credited only once. If a photo with the requested motive is already in the database, new photos will not qualify. However, if several photographers upload the same motive within less than 24 hours, all of them will receive miles.

If a photo qualifies for several bonus categories, you will receive only 1 bonus, for the highest category.

Please post photos that qualify for any bonus here in this thread. There is no way we can check proactively if a photo qualifies or not. So we need you to apply for the bonus miles.

Happy motive hunting! :)
Last edited by ShanwickOceanic on 26 May 18, 09:21, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Added ANA A380 bounty
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Aug 12, 09:55Post
Reading this post reminds me that we're the coolest website! Awesome.

My need for greed kicks in, but alas, aviation does not exist where I am.
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 14 Aug 12, 10:01Post
Zak wrote:Any other Boeing 787 in full airline colors that we don't have in the db yet (15,000 miles)

*eagerly awaits ET getting their first 787 and sending it to JNB* :))

What about a Bombardier C-Series?
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 14 Aug 12, 10:02Post

Went digging through some archives - discovered a load of decent photos from Schiphol I can edit and upload.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Aug 12, 10:04Post
cornish wrote:What about a Bombardier C-Series?

Good call. Added.

mhodgson wrote:

8)

That photo will come in especially handy if AF and KL will one day split again. :))
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 14 Aug 12, 10:09Post
Oh...

Bet you wish you'd never asked :))
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 14 Aug 12, 10:09Post
Oh i think I have an Air Asia picture somewhere from my Indonesia trip.

Do i get bonus miles for Sriwijaya Airlines too? {silly}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Aug 12, 11:40Post
mhodgson wrote:Bet you wish you'd never asked :))

Well, I asked because I hoped to get some shots, not because I hoped to save some miles... ;)

cornish wrote:Do i get bonus miles for Sriwijaya Airlines too?

If they make it to the Daily one day - sure. :))

Maybe we can add a "new airline added" sort of achievement, that would automatically be awarded to a photographer who uploads the first photo of a specific airline to the db. Will check with Ed.
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 14 Aug 12, 11:44Post
Zak wrote: Maybe we can add a "new airline added" sort of achievement, that would automatically be awarded to a photographer who uploads the first photo of a specific airline to the db. Will check with Ed.

Ooh I like that idea - especially for all those obscure African airlines... :))
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Aug 12, 11:48Post
cornish wrote:
Zak wrote: Maybe we can add a "new airline added" sort of achievement, that would automatically be awarded to a photographer who uploads the first photo of a specific airline to the db. Will check with Ed.

Ooh I like that idea - especially for all those obscure African airlines... :))

Okay, how about that: for each new airline you add to the db, you get 1 mile per each aircraft they currently have in their fleet... :))
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 14 Aug 12, 11:51Post
Zak wrote:Okay, how about that: for each new airline you add to the db, you get 1 mile per each aircraft they currently have in their fleet... :))

Is that serviceable aircraft ? :))
vikkyvik 14 Aug 12, 14:42Post
Zak wrote:Any other Airbus A380 in full airline colors that we don't have in the db yet (15,000 miles)

Not high quality, but added this one last night:

...which of course you already saw.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Aug 12, 14:47Post
I'm fairly sure we had AF A380s in the db before. ;)

Or are you aiming at the fact that this one is relatively clean? :))
vikkyvik 14 Aug 12, 14:51Post
Zak wrote:Or are you aiming at the fact that this one is relatively clean?

Nope, I just read the request wrong.

I thought you were saying "any A380 that we don't have in the DB yet".

Rather than "any A380 in full airline colors, where we don't have an A380 from that airline in the DB yet".

Huh. Even I can't figure out how to word it well.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Aug 12, 14:58Post
Ah, okay. Now that you mention it, my request was indeed not completely clear. But that's indeed what I meant - any new combination of A380 or 787 and full airline colors. :)

But I already discussed with Ed about additional achievements for uploading shots of new (to our db) aircraft, airports and even new regs, to reward photographers for increasing the variety in our database.

It won't be super-simple to implement, so we will probably need a while to add it. But it's on the to-do list now, as it should provide a nice incentive for photographers to scan the collection for shots that would earn them extra miles here.
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 14 Aug 12, 15:59Post
Zak wrote: But I already discussed with Ed about additional achievements for uploading shots of new (to our db) aircraft, airports and even new regs, to reward photographers for increasing the variety in our database.

It won't be super-simple to implement, so we will probably need a while to add it. But it's on the to-do list now, as it should provide a nice incentive for photographers to scan the collection for shots that would earn them extra miles here.

Will you lose miles if say you upload yet another LH A320 at a German airport photo into the database? :))
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 16 Aug 12, 14:10Post
Martin, 10,000 miles have been credited to your account for the AF/KL shot. {thumbsup}

More motive requests have been added above. :)
vikkyvik 18 Aug 12, 00:53Post
Here ya go:

AND I missed photo#9000 by one freaking upload!
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 22 Aug 12, 16:32Post
vikkyvik wrote:Here ya go:

A quality shot of any Hawaiian Airlines aircraft (5,000 miles)

{thumbsup}

5,000 miles have been credited. Thanks!
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Aug 12, 15:42Post
I re-sorted the motive list, and added one new item:

Southwest Airlines' "Colorado One" (5,000 miles)
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 23 Aug 12, 15:52Post
If I upload a pic of a Boeing 737-200 in current BA colours could I have a bazillion bonus miles?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Aug 12, 15:55Post
cornish wrote:If I upload a pic of a Boeing 737-200 in current BA colours could I have a bazillion bonus miles?

As long as it's at a European airport, yes {mischief}
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Aug 12, 16:03Post
cornish wrote:If I upload a pic of a Boeing 737-200 in current BA colours could I have a bazillion bonus miles?

No. Our soon-to-be-opened Miles Shop will offer full 737 paint jobs for slightly less than a bazillion miles, so it might give 732 owners wrong ideas... :))
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 27 Aug 12, 20:45Post
Any Air Asia / Air Asia X aircraft (10,000 miles)

Any Airbus A380, in full airline colors that we don't have in the db yet (15,000 miles)
Currently missing: China Southern

That's 25,000 miles for Sven Grimpe. Thanks a lot for your uploads! {thumbsup}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 31 Aug 12, 16:52Post
Thai Airways' A380 is off the list. Miles have been credited to:

CO757:

Sven Grimpe:

{thumbsup} {thumbsup}