You are at netAirspace : Forum : NOTAMs - Site Related Forums : About netAirspace

Draft Rules

The place for site-related announcements and member feedback.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 30 Apr 09, 16:10Post
Dear Members,

The crew has discussed about a simple set of rules for this forum. Our goal was indeed to keep them as easy and simple as possible, while still offering some orientation on what is welcome here, and what not.

However, we would like to involve everyone into this discussion, and thus decided to publish our draft here, so that we can all discuss it together. Please let us know what you think about it.

The final version would then be implemented next week. In the meantime, these would serve as interim rules:

Dear Members of netAirspace.com,

Thank you choosing to participate in our website. Our mission is to provide an enjoyable place for both aviation professionals and enthusiasts alike - think of this site as an airport bar, just online, which unfortunately means we cannot serve you drinks so you will have to bring your own. Sorry!

Like every bar, we need to have a few rules to make sure no one gets hurt, or has to call the cops. These rules are not set up to restrict your freedom, but they are supposed to ensure that everyone can enjoy this place.

We don't mind if you show up drunk at midnight – there’s every possibility that the barkeepers are not exactly sober themselves. What we will not accept is anybody breaking the furniture or picking fights with other guests.

If you decide that you cannot, or will not follow the rules, we may have to ask you to leave for a short while. During this time, your status will be set to 'grounded', which means that you will not be able to make any more posts until you are permitted to do so by a member of the crew, or the agreed duration of your grounding has passed.

If you feel that you were unfairly grounded, please let us know about it. But please do not compose your message to us in anger, and keep your feedback polite. The person who receives your message is more likely to help you if they receive a friendly explanation of what happened, instead of a wild rant. If your grounding notice is subsequently revoked it means that the incident is forgotten, at least by the crew, and we would ask that you handle it in the same way, if only to prevent any ill-feelings.

We would like to make it absolutely clear that repeated or extreme violations of our rules will result in a permanent ban. Banning users from our site is something we would like to avoid, but it can and will happen if the crew feel it is necessary.

A site ban is easily avoidable by following some simple rules. We are open to discussion of these rules at any time other than when you just have violated one or more of them. These rules apply to forum postings and signature lines as well as user profiles. The rules are as follows:

Please be respectful towards other community members. Moderators and crew members are community members, too.
    Do not use foul language, and keep your posts in English. Especially in the aviation, photo and site-related forums. Promotion of hatred/discrimination and/or encouraging others to perform illegal acts is not allowed in any part of the site.
    NSFW material is not allowed. NSFW = not suitable for work, by standards of an average professional workplace. This includes any form of graphic images or text, as well as links to graphic content.
    Spamming, flooding, advertising or posting private contact information is not allowed.
    Please keep your posts on topic and relevant. This also applies to user profile information.
    • Signatures. Please limit signatures to 2 lines of plain text, with no smilies or other images. If you wish to use a signature line in foreign language, make sure that at least one of the moderators can read and understand it.

• Posts that violate above rules will be deleted.
    • If a post of yours is deleted for being off-topic, and you feel your post has some merit, you can start another thread; you may be on to something.
    • If a post of yours is deleted because it referenced another deleted post, feel free to re-post if it is pertinent to the topic.
    • Otherwise, please do not repost any deleted content.
    • When a post of yours is deleted, you will receive a PM by the moderator who deleted it. Feel free to raise any questions or concerns you have about the deletion with them, but please keep it friendly. Post deletions are never personally motivated, and we would expect any correspondence regarding deletions to be similarly objective.
    Please do not discuss post deletions, bans or other moderating measures in the forums.

• Finally, the most important rule: Enjoy your stay!

These rules are basic, common sense stuff. We could have made them even more simply by introducing a general "don't be a dick" rule, but this would inevitably have resulted in requests for clarification of the rules.

It would be impossible for us to draw up a set of rules to cover every possible eventuality, so there will be occasions when situations are dealt with by the moderators on a common sense basis. These decisions will still be binding, in the same manner as the rules above are.

As mentioned before, whenever you feel things are not working as they should, please let the crew know about it. We won't reject any reasonable or constructive input.

This place is, after all, for us all to enjoy.

All the best
the netAirspace.com Crew

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Zak
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
7of12 30 Apr 09, 20:41Post
Can you see the irony of your signature following the"rules' post???
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 Apr 09, 20:54Post
7of12 wrote:Can you see the irony of your signature following the"rules' post???

Do the rules listed above remove any of your freedoms?

Are they unjust rules?

If you think they are, please share your thoughts.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 30 Apr 09, 21:34Post
Well, I get your point, but personally, I don't see any irony. Freedom is a public matter, not a private one. At a private place, whoever owns it can make the rules. As long as they don't break any laws, it does not affect other people's freedom.

In public law, that's a different story. The government of my country has just passed a series of regulations and restrictions that can easily be misused to seriously restrict the individual's freedom. It is mainly about surveilling citizens for no reason, and internet censorship. Many of these regulations have been revoked by our constitutionary court already, but our government just does not stop. Our minister of the interior even publically told our constitutional judges to mind their own business and stay out of his affairs. I am very concerned about this. Hence the signature. This is my country. I cannot just go somewhere else.

This place, however, is private. It's not owned by you or me, or the mods or admins - it's supposed to be the community's place. That's why the community should make the rules. The crew just worked on a draft, to get the ball rolling. If anybody would like to make changes, by all means, please do bring it forward.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Mark 30 Apr 09, 22:12Post
The foul language one will be interesting. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of deleted posts if it's going to be strictly enforced. The occasional shit or damn is bound to happen.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
BCA 30 Apr 09, 22:17Post
Mark wrote:The foul language one will be interesting. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of deleted posts if it's going to be strictly enforced. The occasional shit or damn is bound to happen.

I agree. Limit the cussing in the aviation/about NAS side, but leave it be in the Off-Topics sections. I think a little foul language is called for in the right situations, so why make an arbitrary rule against it?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 Apr 09, 22:21Post
BCAInfoSys wrote:I agree. Limit the cussing in the aviation/about NAS side, but leave it be in the Off-Topics sections. I think a little foul language is called for in the right situations, so why make an arbitrary rule against it?

I would agree, but there was some discussion about these before they were posted. This is what we came up with.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
PA110 (Founding Member) 30 Apr 09, 22:24Post
There's no need to delete the entire post for foul language, that is unless the entire post is just one long obscenity laced rant. {silly}

In most cases, we just remove or substitute the word in question. Problem solved, and the post gets to stay.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
AndesSMF (Founding Member) 30 Apr 09, 22:51Post
PA110 wrote:There's no need to delete the entire post for foul language, that is unless the entire post is just one long obscenity laced rant. {silly}

In most cases, we just remove or substitute the word in question. Problem solved, and the post gets to stay.

Yep, that one has not even really been an issue.
Einstein said two things were infinite; the universe, and stupidity. He wasn't sure about the first, but he was certain about the second.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 30 Apr 09, 22:57Post
I think the proposed rules are an excellent balance between anarchy on one hand, and a police state on the other. {cheerful}
At home in the PNW and loving it
7of12 01 May 09, 00:00Post
Silly me, I should have known better than to discuss irony with Americans.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 May 09, 00:04Post
Silly perhaps.
7of12 01 May 09, 04:58Post
miamiair wrote:Silly perhaps.

No, you don't get the last word, I do. {drillsergeant}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 01 May 09, 06:45Post
7of12 wrote:Silly me, I should have known better than to discuss irony with Americans.

Missed the point again. 100% Old European here... {silly}
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 May 09, 10:36Post
Mark wrote:The foul language one will be interesting. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of deleted posts if it's going to be strictly enforced. The occasional shit or damn is bound to happen.

I suspect that foul language will continue to be dealt with under the application of common sense by the moderators. Nobody wants to see expetive-laden rants that will only cause reactionary posts of a similar nature and may also offend some users, but on the other hand you're unlikely to be pulled up on the ocassional slip of the tongue (or keyboard), when it isn't part of a personal attack and it's away from the business end of the site.

I think the rules are fine and suit the site's current user-base and direction perfectly. There will obviously be changes and tweeking of the rules as the site evolves and grows, but for now I'm happy with what we have.
A million great ideas...
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 May 09, 11:47Post
7of12 wrote:Silly me, I should have known better than to discuss irony with Americans.

No one is forcing you to discuss anything . . . . with Americans or otherwise. {sarcastic}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 May 09, 15:34Post
7of12 wrote:
miamiair wrote:Silly perhaps.

No, you don't get the last word, I do. {drillsergeant}

You're not my wife, so I get the last word! {guns}
7of12 02 May 09, 06:18Post
You think so??
aloges (Founding Member) 02 May 09, 20:12Post
JLAmber wrote:Nobody wants to see expetive-laden rants that will only cause reactionary posts of a similar nature

That's about it. Just think about it for a second: one thread about <public personality of your choice> is full of "He's a FU**ING IDIOT!!!" and "How can he be such a moron?!" while a second one goes along the lines of "extremely bad decision" and "completely unacceptable" - which one are people going to reply to if they want to discuss the issue? ;)

We do in no way want to tone people down or make them repress their anger. But anger can also be displayed without foul language and when it is, people tend to react better to it.
sosumi
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 04 May 09, 08:18Post
As for the foul language - the respective rule reads:
Do not use foul language, and keep your posts in English. Especially in the aviation, photo and site-related forums.

It puts a special emphasis on the 'on-topic' sections. However, this does not mean that there is no limit for the off-topics. So please do not take it as an invitation to test the limits there. That would not help us handling things more relaxed over there.

The rules were not set up so that we can start telling people what to do, and what not. The idea is to make this place enjoyable for everyone. While I am not a big friend of rules and regulations myself, I still believe that goal cannot be reached without at least some of them.

It seems there were no major objections about the draft itself. I would then suggest that we put it into place. Of course, that is not supposed to end this discussion. Whenever you feel that something is not okay, please do let us know about it.