You are at netAirspace : Forum : NOTAMs - Site Related Forums : About netAirspace

NAS Not Loading As Default Homepage

The place for site-related announcements and member feedback.

mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 13 Sep 20, 11:33Post
I've always had the NAS frontpage as my browsers default homepage. However, recently it's failing to load almost every time I open my browser (Chrome) with an 'ERR_TOO_MANY_CONNECTIONS' message. This only happens when loading the browser, pressing the homepage icon works fine.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Sep 20, 12:14Post
That's a new one...

ERR_TOO_MANY_CONNECTIONS usually comes from the server, so the different behaviour from Chrome is rather odd; all I can think of is that one or the other has cached something.

Server-side, this comes from the database, which has a limit on how many connections it can accept at once. By default, this is further limited by the operating system. When we set up this server, we set relatively high limits, but it appears that they may not have taken.

I've checked that the OS limit is high enough not to be a problem, and have once again forced the database to accept a higher limit, with a modification to the config files hopefully ensuring that the setting persists this time.

If this doesn't fix it, I'd first suggest clearing your Chrome cache. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll need to schedule some downtime for a full server reboot.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 13 Sep 20, 18:46Post
Cache cleared, and I gave it another go (internet running throughout).

Blank grey screen with the bottom left status alternately showing 'Establishing secure connection', 'connecting to NAS' and just 'connecting', this scrolled round several times before the main error screen which appeared and after about a second rebooted to the NAS home page.

The error this time was 'too many redirects', but I've had the connections one as well - I think connections comes up when it can't show the page at all.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Sep 20, 19:14Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:ERR_TOO_MANY_CONNECTIONS

I have seen this while DB editing. It directs to an almost blank screen with a few lines of text in the top corner. I'll try to replicate it to see if there is anything else there that will indicate what is going on.
A million great ideas...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Sep 20, 14:53Post
Tried with Edge just now, same error occurs (Too Many Redirects)
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 Sep 20, 15:46Post
Great... looks like two separate issues.

John, if you can grab that, it'll definitely help. AFAIK all the settings are in place and should have taken; if not, it's probably Linux itself still imposing the (ridiculously low) limit on open files, and it'll need a full server reboot.

Martin, what's the exact URL that you have bookmarked (or are typing)? Depending on what's included or not, there may be one or perhaps two on the first connection to the site, but that should be nowhere near enough for the browser to start complaining.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Sep 20, 19:39Post
It's simply the homepage, bookmarked as
Code: Select all
https://www.netairspace.cc/
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 Sep 20, 20:07Post
Okay, so it's not going to be redirecting from HTTP to HTTPS, and otherwise looks OK. However, I still can't reproduce the behaviour in Edge or in Chrome.

Some further reading suggests that it may be cookie-related, and not a NAS-specific issue.

Can you try clearing your cookies, at least the NAS ones? In Chrome, Ctrl+Shift+I to open Developer Tools, then click Application in the top bar, you'll see Cookies on the left. Click the little arrow next to Cookies, you'll see the NAS URL underneath. Right-click, Clear.

This will probably log you out. If not, log out and back in again anyway.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Sep 20, 20:20Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:John, if you can grab that, it'll definitely help. AFAIK all the settings are in place and should have taken; if not, it's probably Linux itself still imposing the (ridiculously low) limit on open files, and it'll need a full server reboot.

As sod's law dictates, I haven't seen it in over two hours of various activities that often produce the error. I'll let you know as soon as it happens again.
A million great ideas...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 17 Sep 20, 21:48Post
Still the same issue having cleared my cookies. It only seems to seriously affect the homepage load when the browser opens so possibly its some bizarre DNS/ISP thing on my end?
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 Sep 20, 08:23Post
JLAmber wrote:As sod's law dictates, I haven't seen it in over two hours of various activities that often produce the error. I'll let you know as soon as it happens again.

It may even be that I fixed it! That'd be a shocker, the way this week's gone..

mhodgson wrote:possibly its some bizarre DNS/ISP thing on my end?

That's the way my mind is going, as well. What happens if you set your phone up as a wifi hotspot, connect your machine to that, and then open Chrome?