You are at netAirspace : Forum : NOTAMs - Site Related Forums : About netAirspace

Phot Upload - Date

The place for site-related announcements and member feedback.

Maxi-Air 24 Jun 20, 00:32Post
Hi together,

I'm relatively new to netairspace. I've been uploading some pictures recently and sometimes (after convertings Raws (CR2) to DNG), Exif Data gets lost and I therefore need to enter the date manually. Sadly its not possible to ctrl+V it in the field, and selecting it every time is a pain, when the picture was taken months back. A far more convenient option would be a small button below that lets you select the date from your previous upload. How about that for an idea?

And another point, also regarding the date and Exifs. If you travel over timezones and the cam is still on home time it might happen, that the cam is still on the previous day, while the pictures where taken the next day. I figured there is no way to edit it after its uploaded. Is it possible to implement a change data option for your own pictures. Sometimes one might forget to add a category or want to change the date. An because it was systematic, I didn't notice my mistake for many pictures, till I finally changed it on all subsequent ones. So quite a few are one day off now and I don't want to bother the editors with every single one for a shift by one day. And I don't care that much, that I would delete and reupload all of them.

I'm not sure if a "date is correct" checkbox for Exif selected dates might be an idea? And maybe a "+1" and "-1" button next to the date, so you don't have to open it?!.

Just some thoughts, Cheers,
Max
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jun 20, 13:18Post
Thanks for your thoughts, Max.

Unfortunately I'm snowed under with the work that puts food on my table, so I'm unlikely to be able to do anything with these ideas for a little while.

However, if you're using NAS-preferred filenames, you can specify the correct date in the filename. The regular upload process will warn you if the filename date and EXIF date don't match (although, in your case, there's no EXIF so it should just take the filename date. Note that the date is formatted YYYYMMDD. Fast-track upload should assume that you know what you're doing and just accept the filename date (although it's been a while since I wrote that...).

I use Canon Digital Photo Studio to batch-convert from raw to TIF for editing, and have that generate filenames like _EFHK_20200624_(number).tif - then prepend the reg when I save the final JPEG for uploading. That's the quickest way I've found to name files in a way that works.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Maxi-Air 24 Jun 20, 14:19Post
Hi, thanks for your answer,
maybe you can make these changes in the future, once you find the time.

I was referring to the regular upload process though, and of course its a shortcoming on my behalf, because if the date is in there (extracted from the Exifs), I sometimes forget to check.

Is there a way to change dates on already uploaded pictures? Other than sending a request for each picture?

Cheers, Max
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jun 20, 15:06Post
At the moment, it's a database-editor job. How many are we talking about? I may be able to do some filthy magic underneath if we're talking about a lot, otherwise it's a relatively quick manual job. Instead of sending them all to the queue, PM me and JLAmber with the photo IDs (or beginning and end if it's a block) and we'll see what we can do with it.

The regular upload process will recognise the same file format as the fast-track one. So for future uploads, you can name the files this way and have the correct date picked up from there. The only exception is if your shot isn't the typical "aircraft at an airport with an IATA or ICAO code" photo, where that filename format doesn't work.

I hope to have more time for work on NAS soon, but I've been saying that since Christmas!
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Maxi-Air 24 Jun 20, 15:44Post
Excellent, then I'll send you a pm later. Talking about roughly 100 I guess. Took a while till I noticed my mistake.
Yokes 24 Jun 20, 17:41Post
I can also edit some dates if nessesary.

Btw, great pictures from SYD, the HPQ is dominated by you for a while now. :o
Maxi-Air 24 Jun 20, 21:47Post
Thanks! Glad you like the pictures :))