You are at netAirspace : Forum : NOTAMs - Site Related Forums : About netAirspace

Downage And New Address

The place for site-related announcements and member feedback.

GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 08 Aug 19, 16:04Post
I'm very happy to see the site back up and running. Thanks for all the hard work behind the scenes, admin team. {thumbsup}

Question for now is: are we sticking with the new address?

"www.netairspace.cc" ?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Aug 19, 08:53Post
Annoyingly, the server's never been down. It's been sitting here wondering why nobody's talking to it. {bored}

The outage is entirely down to issues around the domain name, which is out of my control to fix. Stefan is still cussing out the parties responsible, and will no doubt provide a more detailed account.

The .cc is intended to be a temporary measure; there are issues associated with it - notably no SSL certificate and a few hard-coded "netairspace.com"s throughout the site - that prevent it from working fully and correctly. This is why we haven't publicised it on social media, etc. In the worst case, I can do the necessary configuration to make it work properly, but for a variety of reasons it's far better to have the .com up and working. Configuring the server for the .cc obviously runs the risk of breaking the configuration for the .com {boggled}

Naturally, once the dust has settled we will immediately look into complimentary memberships, etc. - obviously it's not OK to have a month's FC, paid or otherwise, and have the site be down for half of it (and counting).
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 11 Aug 19, 17:18Post
I'm so super curious about the root cause here. A quick DNS lookup shows a published record, but an ICMP test then returns no records or route. What happened here?
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Aug 19, 17:56Post
Glad things are back...somewhat.

The internet is weirder than usual. I only found out about the .cc when I happened to view the Facebook group on my phone this morning. I've been keeping a close eye on the group via desktop never saw a mention of the .cc.

Of course, I now can't see the post about the .cc on my phone either. {grumpy}
Make Orwell fiction again.
paul mcallister 20 Aug 19, 21:41Post
Great to have the site back, and congrats to all those behind the scenes for their sterling work in getting things working again.

Onwards an upwards.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Aug 19, 22:03Post
After I posted above that the server itself had never been down, it did indeed go down, for good. A good chunk of the delay has been in configuring and restoring onto a new server.

We will post a full report/post-mortem on what happened as soon as we can. We're still working on clearing this up, which is taking priority.

We will also give free First Class membership (some to everyone, more to those who were First Class when this started) as soon as we're confident that the remaining site issues won't interfere with your enjoyment of it. Ultimates, we haven't forgotten about you.

Known issues at this point:

Approximately 650 uploaded photos were lost. These were uploaded between the last successful offsite backup and the old server finally being switched off.

For staff, some of those photos were in work queues, so you may see an empty queue claiming to have several photos in it. Ed is on the case.

Emails from the site (password reset, etc.) are not being sent. Ed is looking into this.

Copyright bar on photos is not generating properly. This is relatively minor; we don't modify the original uploaded file, instead generating copies for viewing, and the photos you see will correct themselves a day or two after the issue is fixed. Ed doesn't understand that stuff, Stefan is fixing it.

There are multiple hard-coded links throughout the site that will now break. Ed is chasing these down. We believe that the site code is now fixed, but existing forum posts and private messages may still contain broken links. These will need a bulk fix, which is irrevocable and hence needs research.

Full update when we can.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Aug 19, 09:15Post
Press on Ed . . . .

Everyone owes you a debt of gratitude that cannot be repaid . . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Bruce 23 Aug 19, 07:41Post
Thanks to all for the hard work in getting the site back up! Now that its been up for a few days I wonder how the site traffic is recovering? During the down time I've been processing photos from recent shooting days and have a backlog to upload but I am wondering if I should wait until it recovers a bit more. I looked at my stats and my views for yesterday are still less than half of my lowest days' views of the last 3 months before the crash. Does the cc domain make it less visible as web search engines link to the .com version that is currently down?
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 Aug 19, 09:01Post
Hey Bruce,

Short answer: If the views matter, yes, hold off for a bit.

Long answer:

Yes, the domain issue is the big one at the moment. Unfortunately it's also about the only thing I personally can't do anything about; even if I had the passwords, I don't know enough German to yell at the people who need it.

What little I do know is mostly cuss-words, though, so maybe I do know enough {scratch}

A quick look at our admin dash shows that yesterday had roughly 20-25% of the views for a typical day before this all started. Search engines, casual visitors, even people with accounts here who haven't visited for a while, it'll take a while for all those to catch up. I'm hoping that there are no long-term negative consequences for our Google ranking, etc., but I really don't know. Broken links throughout the site at the moment probably won't help.

The hope is still that we'll be able to come back under the .com. If so, that's doable with some minor disruption (hopefully limited to everyone needing to log in again). I'm still holding off on some maintenance tasks until I get some clarity on this. (Chopping the .com out of the title image is just a tiny part of those tasks.)
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 26 Aug 19, 00:54Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Press on Ed . . . .

Everyone owes you a debt of gratitude that cannot be repaid . . . .

Seconded! {thumbsup}
Make Orwell fiction again.