You are at netAirspace : Forum : NOTAMs - Site Related Forums : About netAirspace

Intrusive Ads? *** UPDATED ***

The place for site-related announcements and member feedback.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 05 Sep 16, 09:30Post
*** UPDATE 28 Sep 2016 ***

We have identified the source of the problem. It is not related to netAirspace, or our advertising partners.

If you see intrusive layover ads like in the screenshot below, then these ads are not served by netAirspace, but most likely by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

intrusive.jpg
intrusive.jpg (125.89 KiB) Viewed 1667 times

Several US-based internet providers (Comcast and AT&T are among them) are known to use a technique called 'code injection'. It means that your ISP, while transferring the website code from our server to your browser, is altering the code in order to show you their own ads in any place they see fit.

At this time, there is nothing we can do about this, nor do we benefit from any revenue these ads would generate. Essentially, it means your ISP is not only ruining your website experience, but also steals our ad revenue and creates a massive security risk.

Please direct any related complaints to your ISP, and ask your congressman why they are not protecting net neutrality.

More information:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/292583 ... -isps.html
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014 ... eutrality/
http://webpolicy.org/2015/08/25/att-hot ... injection/

*** ORIGINAL POST ***

We have received complaints about intrusive layer ads showing over photos on our website:

So far, this seems to affect only US-based members using Internet Explorer.

We are currently trying to find out if the problem is caused by one of our advertising partners, or if it is a local problem on the users' computers, caused by adware/malware.

To understand this problem better, it would be helpful to learn if more members see these ads. Please do also leave a comment if you are from the US and have never seen such ads.

If this indeed comes from one of our advertising partners, we will remove them from our ad rotation, as we do not approve such intrusive forms of advertising.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 06 Sep 16, 03:30Post
Zak wrote:Please do also leave a comment if you are from the US and have never seen such ads.

I don't see any such ads now, and I don't recall seeing them before on NAS.

Firefox 48.0.2, no ad-blocking plugins installed.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 06 Sep 16, 11:51Post
vikkyvik wrote:Firefox 48.0.2, no ad-blocking plugins installed.

Ditto - and never seen anything like this either.
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 06 Sep 16, 12:01Post
There is a known issue with IE11. A number of the tournament scrabble players who use IE (it's faster than Chrome or Firefox for gameplay) are reporting similar ads appearing across the lower screen and are also reporting being able to hear ads that they're blocking.
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 28 Sep 16, 14:56Post
The cause for this problem has been found. Please refer to the opening post, that has been updated accordingly.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 28 Sep 16, 15:51Post
Wow.

Thanks for all the deep digging, ladies and gents.

I haven't seen anything on my end at home like that (Spectrum {crazy} ) but I will keep an eye out for it.

For now...I'm leaving the ads on at home. We will see how bad it gets.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey