You are at netAirspace : Forum : NOTAMs - Site Related Forums : About netAirspace

Airport Overviews with Aircraft Details

The place for site-related announcements and member feedback.

vikkyvik 29 Jun 16, 02:24Post
Would love to have this feature, because there are shots I have that I consider Airport Overviews, but there's an airplane prominent enough that I'd want to list the reg, etc. in the photo details.

I've meant to ask about this for years, but haven't for whatever reason (or maybe I have, and was firmly denied by Ed - not sure).

But anyway, I was reminded due to uploading this photo (sorry for the self-plug (I'm not really that sorry for the self-plug, because it illustrates the point)):

I spent hours agonizing over whether to upload it as an airplane with a reg, or as "Airport Overview - Spotting Location" (by "hours" I mean seconds). I'd ideally like to do both.

I think it would be good for the DB, too - that way Airport Overviews with a particular prominent reg would show up when searching for an airline, reg, whatever.

The AC in my office area has been broken for 3 months. It was 87 degrees in there today (some weird combo of 87, 32, and 5/9 for you non-Americans), and probably 75% humidity (75% humidity for you non-Americans). That apparently causes me to overuse parentheses.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Jun 16, 02:51Post
These are the sorts of photos that I love.

I would also love the aircraft reg.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jul 16, 17:31Post
Ah, sorry I missed this one. I was in Hamburg for work at the time, said work got messy, and this slipped through the cracks.

If you put the reg in the comments field, the photo will show up in a quick search on that reg, which is also handy for the Finkenwerder shots uploaded against the test reg: "Will become G-ABCD".

"Firmly denied" sounds about right {mischief} It's been a LONG time since I've had to touch that upload code, but from a quick review this is an inordinately nasty job. All the categories at the moment have either mandatory reg or no reg, so I would need to wrap my head around what happens underneath. I've a funny feeling that it'll invalidate some key assumptions and flip the logic entirely on its head. I may be an incompetent hack-monkey now, but five years ago I was even worse, so I would need to tread very carefully.

As I said in the other thread, dev time is going on back-end and back-office sort of stuff at the moment. If I still remember (and can still be arsed) once that's taken care of, I'll do what I can.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
vikkyvik 14 Jul 16, 20:50Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:If you put the reg in the comments field, the photo will show up in a quick search on that reg, which is also handy for the Finkenwerder shots uploaded against the test reg: "Will become G-ABCD".

Understood. I just like things to be "official". :))

ShanwickOceanic wrote:It's been a LONG time since I've had to touch that upload code, but from a quick review this is an inordinately nasty job. All the categories at the moment have either mandatory reg or no reg, so I would need to wrap my head around what happens underneath. I've a funny feeling that it'll invalidate some key assumptions and flip the logic entirely on its head. I may be an incompetent hack-monkey now, but five years ago I was even worse, so I would need to tread very carefully.

Interesting. I just assumed that fields like "reg" and "airport" would be tags applied to the image, so they could in theory be applied to any image.

But I know next to nothing about website development. So there is that.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jul 16, 21:24Post
Neither do I!

At the database level, you're pretty much right. It's either a number that points at a specific airframe/operator/reg combination, or it's null. The twisted logic in between you and the database? {crazy}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.