You are at netAirspace : Forum : NOTAMs - Site Related Forums : About netAirspace

One Million Views

The place for site-related announcements and member feedback.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Jan 16, 13:20Post
After a slow start the million views are coming in thick and fast now. Next up is aviationmanpr who hit his first million views today. Great effort {thumbsup}

I've always loved this classic shot of his:

A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jan 16, 13:24Post
And another hits the million. Air show regular and owner of an impressive collection of shots stretching back some years, Paul Chandler1 passed one million views over the weekend. Nice work {thumbsup}

One of his best:

A million great ideas...
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 11 Jan 16, 14:30Post
JLAmber wrote:One of his best:

A spectacular shot no doubt!
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
vikkyvik 11 Jan 16, 19:11Post
JLAmber wrote:After a slow start the million views are coming in thick and fast now.

I hate all of you. {grumpy}

Seriously though, congrats to all.

I've noticed that photo views have seemed to pick up quite a bit in the last few months. Is that in fact true? Any particular reason for it?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jan 16, 20:08Post
vikkyvik wrote:I hate all of you. {grumpy}

I think you're either second or third highest of the sub-million views photographers and shouldn't be far off hitting the million yourself.

vikkyvik wrote:I've noticed that photo views have seemed to pick up quite a bit in the last few months. Is that in fact true?

Yep, somewhat dramatically.

vikkyvik wrote:Any particular reason for it?

Several reasons that I can see: Vastly increased social media output has our engagement with our audience on Facebook and twitter showing around 2.5x what it was 3 months ago. A lot of our photographers are also promoting their own shots and several cross-promote with us (by sharing on our page or using @netAirspace).

The uploading of many well-searched frames has also helped greatly - a number of photographers have uploaded shots from their back-catalogues and a number of those shots attract the all-important search-engine hits. Then there are members just spreading the word, as happened with TouchnGo recently and many others over the past year.

One of the nice problems we have at the moment is that a core group of photographers upload such good quality shots that we could promote many of our photographers on a daily basis, but that would be ridiculous. What this leaves us with is a well of great shots we can dig into every so often (particularly when upload levels are low or there's nothing special going on in terms of events, meets etc.), hence you may find shots that went up a few months/years ago getting a push.
A million great ideas...
vikkyvik 11 Jan 16, 21:30Post
JLAmber wrote:I think you're either second or third highest of the sub-million views photographers and shouldn't be far off hitting the million yourself.

Oh I know :)) . That's actually what prompted my question about views - I started paying a bit of attention to see how quickly my aggregate photo views were growing, and I was quite surprised.

JLAmber wrote:Vastly increased social media output has our engagement with our audience on Facebook and twitter showing around 2.5x what it was 3 months ago.

Vastly increased output on NAS's own social media?
JLAmber wrote:as happened with TouchnGo recently

I assume you are referring to Malaysia's toll road electronic payment card?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jan 16, 21:55Post
vikkyvik wrote:Oh I know . That's actually what prompted my question about views - I started paying a bit of attention to see how quickly my aggregate photo views were growing, and I was quite surprised.

The trick is to be current and relevant. People who upload shots within a day or two of taking them and consistently upload get far better views than those who are more sporadic (with a few exceptions amongst well-known photographers such as Danihno). You do that rather well and it wouldn't be difficult to have a daily feature of your shots from LAX {thumbsup}

Yokes will still beat you to the million though, and Mr. Chips could give you a close run if he uploads a bit in the next week or so...

vikkyvik wrote:Vastly increased output on NAS's own social media?

Yep. Our social media activity from the start of December to today is roughly double what it was previously. From that we've seen about 2.5 times more uptake. The numbers visiting the site have gone from 20-60 average with peaks of around 90, to 80-120 average with peaks around 170 (by my reckoning). Tricky to maintain in the long-term without a few more uploaders (which we'll be working on) but definitely sustainable for the time being with events such as 100k uploads approaching, plenty of million landmarks imminent and the MIA meet contingent about to hit us with their shots.

vikkyvik wrote:I assume you are referring to Malaysia's toll road electronic payment card?

Maybe, or I could mean this guy who joined and started uploading after a conversation on Facebook: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2325

Or maybe Bill Cosby. I'll get my coat.
A million great ideas...
vikkyvik 12 Jan 16, 04:22Post
JLAmber wrote:The trick is to be current and relevant. People who upload shots within a day or two of taking them and consistently upload get far better views than those who are more sporadic (with a few exceptions amongst well-known photographers such as Danihno). You do that rather well and it wouldn't be difficult to have a daily feature of your shots from LAX

Interesting info. And I'm certainly not complaining - given that I don't have much in the way of rare, old, or new frames to upload, I appreciate every view I get.

Uploading has been much less consistent in the last year or so for me (less free time to shoot, edit, and upload), but I do what I can.

JLAmber wrote:Yokes will still beat you to the million though, and Mr. Chips could give you a close run if he uploads a bit in the next week or so...

I hate those guys. {grumpy}

JLAmber wrote:Yep. Our social media activity from the start of December to today is roughly double what it was previously.

Gotcha. I'm not much of a social media user, so I don't really pay attention. But the uptick in photo views was significant enough that it caught my attention. But know that I appreciate what you guys do to promote our photos.

JLAmber wrote:Maybe, or I could mean this guy who joined and started uploading after a conversation on Facebook: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2325

Ohhh, right. I'm well on my way to hating him already, even though I've only seen two of his photos. {grumpy}

I shall not dignify your purported Cosby joke with a response. :))
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 13 Jan 16, 00:40Post
JLAmber wrote:Yokes will still beat you to the million though, and Mr. Chips could give you a close run if he uploads a bit in the next week or so...

Noted and challenge accepted :))
Yokes 13 Jan 16, 02:53Post
mr chips wrote:

Noted and challenge accepted :))

I will be the frist one! :))
vikkyvik 13 Jan 16, 07:10Post
mr chips wrote:Noted and challenge accepted

It's on!

Yokes wrote:I will be the frist one!

Yes, you will actually. Therefore, I'm only competing with Mr. Chips. :))
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jan 16, 13:48Post
vikkyvik wrote:
mr chips wrote:Noted and challenge accepted

It's on!

Okke Behm will beat you both, to his second million {boxed}
A million great ideas...
vikkyvik 13 Jan 16, 22:33Post
JLAmber wrote:Okke Behm will beat you both, to his second million

Overachiever. {grumpy}

Anyway, reaching 2 million does not count on a race to 1 million. :))
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Jan 16, 14:23Post
Yokes hits the 1 million with this shot of the lightly toasted Dynamic Airways 762 taking him over the line:

Great effort Jochen {thumbsup}

When I checked earlier he was on 999,999 views. Couldn't have timed that any better :))
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Jan 16, 18:09Post
vikkyvik wrote:Anyway, reaching 2 million does not count on a race to 1 million. :))

That's like being lapped in a race and saying it doesn't count ;)

Anyway, Okke Behm has surpassed 2 million views. Well done Okke {thumbsup}

I've always been partial to a low-light shot:

A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Jan 16, 13:31Post
And the latest million views photographer is LAX fence resident and abstract long-exposure enthusiast, vikkyvik. Well done sir, you won the race with mr chips by about 1.4% in the end.

Here's a classic from vik's collection:

A million great ideas...
vikkyvik 27 Jan 16, 16:54Post
JLAmber wrote:Well done sir, you won the race with mr chips by about 1.4% in the end.

Thanks! It was a hard fought race (in theory), and I think everyone on the site is a winner because of it (but I'm the real winner).

JLAmber wrote:abstract long-exposure enthusiast

Haven't done many of those lately. :(
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 27 Jan 16, 18:29Post
Congrats Vik! :)
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Jan 16, 17:10Post
And completing our first ten photographers to hit the million views mark, mr chips. Great effort Dave {thumbsup}

It isn't hard to find a great shot to accompany this post but I chose this one because it's not an airliner and the colours are particularly striking:

A million great ideas...
vikkyvik 31 Jan 16, 01:45Post
Congrats Dave! {grumpy}
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 31 Jan 16, 13:13Post
Thanks! Never thought the day would come :))
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Feb 16, 14:43Post
Bruce is next to the million, a somewhat remarkable achievement given that he has only been uploading to netAirspace for 32 weeks, smashing the previous record by 25 weeks (if my calculations are correct) :o {thumbsup}

A million great ideas...
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 28 Feb 16, 14:49Post
JLAmber wrote:Bruce is next to the million, a somewhat remarkable achievement given that he has only been uploading to netAirspace for 32 weeks, smashing the previous record by 25 weeks (if my calculations are correct) :o {thumbsup}

I love a good ERJ shot, even if it does remind me of the front page of some other place.

Sharp shot, though. {thumbsup}
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 29 Feb 16, 15:33Post
Allstarflyer wrote:Sharp shot, though. {thumbsup}

x2 {thumbsup} {thumbsup}
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Mar 16, 14:20Post
After a brief break we have our 12th photographer to hit the million view mark, CentrelinePhoto passed the million at some point this morning. Great effort Chris {thumbsup}

A million great ideas...