You are at netAirspace : Forum : NOTAMs - Site Related Forums : About netAirspace

Why Ads Are Important For netAirspace.com

The place for site-related announcements and member feedback.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 20 Jul 12, 15:38Post
There is no doubt - some forms of advertising are annoying. Popups, layers, text infiltrators and flashing banners can ruin a website's appearance.

At netAirspace.com, we do not use these forms of advertising, as we do not like them ourselves.

Our ads are standard banner ads. We do our best to blend these ads in with the site design as good as possible.

Advertising revenue is an important aspect that helps us paying the server and hosting bills, and thus, keeping the site alive and running.

Thus, we kindly ask you to add netAirspace.com to the whitelist of your ad blocker.

For the popular AdBlock Plus plugin, just click the ABP icon and select "Disable on: netairspace.com".

Or get a First Class membership, and the ads will disappear. (First and Ultimate Class members can, however, opt to see the ads if they wish.)

Thanks a lot for your understanding, and for your support to netAirspace.com!
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 20 Jul 12, 17:50Post
What if we're not getting ads now but we wouldn't mind having them? Can you be in a "First Class Plus" group, that being F plus ads?
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
AndesSMF (Founding Member) 20 Jul 12, 18:01Post
Queso wrote:What if we're not getting ads now but we wouldn't mind having them? Can you be in a "First Class Plus" group, that being F plus ads?

Good question. Frankly, they're pretty unobtrusive.
Einstein said two things were infinite; the universe, and stupidity. He wasn't sure about the first, but he was certain about the second.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 20 Jul 12, 18:34Post
Thanks for the feedback, we will consider this.

Btw, one reason for this thread is that we will display an alternate message to users with ad blockers, that will be displayed where otherwise the ad would be. That message will include a link to this thread.

Other than that, we do not intend to restrict users with ad blockers, though.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Coz 20 Jul 12, 21:49Post
When it comes to online forums, or bulletin boards, they tend to bring in very little revenue through the use of banners and ads. I know this from my experience (no, not from nonav.com, lol), but from my experience running other forums throughout my career.

Just off the top of my head, perhaps strengthening the incentive for members to move to "first class" by holding Netairspace t-shirt raffles could be an good idea to ponder. I've found these marketing strategies to be rather effective.

Perhaps there could be a monthly contest where the most favorited aviation photo can be printed onto a t-shirt with the netAirspace logo featured along side. See http://www.zazzle.com, or http://www.cafepress.com. This would encourage more photo uploads and participation, plus the fact that people can wear these shirts to promote the site offline.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 20 Jul 12, 21:57Post
Coz wrote:When it comes to online forums, or bulletin boards, they tend to bring in very little revenue through the use of banners and ads.

Tell me about it... ;)

Coz wrote:Just off the top of my head, perhaps strengthening the incentive for members to move to "first class" by holding Netairspace t-shirt raffles could be an good idea to ponder.

That is a good idea, indeed. "Starting a Cafepress shop and offering some merchandise" actually is on our to-do list (though there are a few items on top of it).

Adding some merchandise to a 1-year FC membership could indeed be an idea.