You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

Not Satisfied With My Images

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

Ventor 04 Sep 23, 07:44Post
Hi there!

I don't know how to write this properly, but often I'm not quit satisfied with my spotting images in general. I often think that there is missing a hint of sharpness and "deepness" in the pictures.

I don't know if it has something to do with my lens ... I'm using the Canon EF70-200 f/4 IL USM since about 2018 now. Since last week I've ditched my Canon EOS 7D MK2 and switched to a Fujifilm X-T5, since I like the concept of those cameras more, but that's for another topic.

To give you an example:

The image in general is sharp, don't get me wrong, but when I zoom in, in about the cockpit area - I've noticed that some detail gets lost and it is not as sharp as in other areas. This problem persists for many of my images.

When I shoot planes on the ground, my images get a lot sharper:

I would love to have a bit of feedback on my pictures and tips for future trips to the airport, or a hint what I could change in my editing process.

I mostly shoot with the following settings:

Equipment: Fujifilm X-T5 - Canon EF70-200 f/4 IL USM
Settings: 1/1000s, on bright days I shoot with f/7.1 or f/8, ISO auto

I edit my pictures with Lightroom Classic 2023.

Cheers from EDDK
Marc
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 05 Sep 23, 11:10Post
I see what you are referring to in the flying image as opposed to the static image. Maybe there is a soft spot on the lens. The flying image has a bit of softness to it. You seem to be using the right setting. I'll use the aperture priority and have it set at F 8.0. I am sure others will chime in and offer some advice.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Yokes 18 Sep 23, 17:40Post
Do you shoot in RAW or only JPG?
Ventor 25 Sep 23, 09:40Post
I shoot in RAW :)