You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

Colors Issue

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

airtrainer 18 Feb 18, 01:46Post
Hi all,

I've just uploaded this shot, however when looking at it here on the website the colors look very cold and completely different to the preview I had in Photoshop and on my file. Any idea on what happened and how it could be solved ? I have to say it's not the first time I notice this, but not as much as with this shot...
Thanks.

Capture d’écran (31).jpg
Capture d’écran (31).jpg (144.86 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Grounded...
Yokes 18 Feb 18, 08:51Post
There is definitly too much red in the picture. Did you use the white balance tool?
airtrainer 18 Feb 18, 10:14Post
Yes I did, the screenshot is what I have after editing. I used Photoshop CC instead of Elements so maybe I missed something but that's strange...
Grounded...
Yokes 18 Feb 18, 10:34Post
So the screenshot is the picture you uploaded here and after uploading the picture looks different? Thats strange...
airtrainer 18 Feb 18, 10:44Post
Indeed, that's confusing {boggled}
Grounded...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 Feb 18, 10:47Post
Second one looks far more natural on my screen, FWIW.

Some possibly useful info in this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20280
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
airtrainer 18 Feb 18, 14:04Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Second one looks far more natural on my screen, FWIW.

Some possibly useful info in this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20280

Thanks Ed. Some very good info on the link you posted indeed, even if part of it sound like chinese to me, but I'll try some investigations soon. {thumbsup}
Grounded...
TNCB 19 Feb 18, 08:10Post
Likely saved as AdobeRGB instead of sRGB. Switching that color profile will solve this issue.
vikkyvik 19 Feb 18, 15:22Post
TNCB wrote:Likely saved as AdobeRGB instead of sRGB. Switching that color profile will solve this issue.

{check} That's what it's always been for me.
airtrainer 20 Feb 18, 00:45Post
All right I know what happened !

Kas got it right, the image was indeed saved as AdobeRGB...directly from my camera {tired}

Long story short, I now remember that someone changed the color profile in my camera a couple of days ago. This however does not seem to alterate images edited in Photoshop Elements as I uploaded other shots from the same day with no particular problem, but that's apparently a different story with Photoshop CC.

Thanks for your help !
Grounded...
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 05 Apr 18, 02:11Post
I'm trying out my new 5DS-R and seem to be having the color issue as well. The photo is being saved (RAW) on my camera as a sRGB and Photoshop is saving it as a .jpeg as sRBG as well. To me the photo on NAS is dull, darker, and doesn't have the more vibrant shades of blue.

Any thoughts or observations?

vikkyvik 05 Apr 18, 03:43Post
In your Color Settings dialog, under "Color Management Policies", try changing RGB to "Convert to Working RGB". That's how I have mine set up.

Not exactly sure why that is necessary, but it's what works for me.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 05 Apr 18, 12:40Post
Ok I'll check that tonight. Thanks Vik!
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 Apr 18, 01:53Post
Re-uploaded with the new setting and that still doesn't look quite right.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 Apr 18, 01:58Post
I may have figured it out.

If I go to View-> Proof Setup, the check mark is on "Working CYMK". If I change that to "Internet Standard RGB (sRGB)" it shows the same that it does here on NAS.

I guess I need to have "Internet Standard RGB(sRGB)" checked as my default.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 Apr 18, 02:03Post
Closer... but not quite there. I guess it's just a difference in how the CYMK vs sRGB looks in the photoshop screenshot and the uploaded image.
vikkyvik 06 Apr 18, 04:42Post
CO777ER wrote:I may have figured it out.

If I go to View-> Proof Setup, the check mark is on "Working CYMK". If I change that to "Internet Standard RGB (sRGB)" it shows the same that it does here on NAS.

I don't think that's it. I have "Working CMYK" checked.

When you save, do you have "ICC Profile: sRGB v1.31 (Canon)" checked?
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 06 Apr 18, 09:51Post
Ah, colour management. A nightmarish science. {boxed}

In a nutshell, how a photo looks on the viewer's screen depends on
  • the photographer's camera settings,
  • the photographer's computer OS,
  • the photographer's editing software settings,
  • the photographer's graphics / video card,
  • the photographer's monitor,
  • the settings of the server where the photo is uploaded,
  • the viewer's computer OS,
  • the viewer's graphics / video card,
  • the viewer's monitor,
  • the viewer's browser
Any change in any of these parameters can lead to a different impression. It also means that, no matter how you treat your photo, different viewers may still get to see different results.

And this doesn't even touch the issue of calibration yet.

Now, if a photo looks different on the same computer, before and after uploading it, it narrows the issue down to server and browser settings.

As for the browser, Firefox gives this recommendation:
You could try adjusting Firefox's color management settings. This is an old write-up, but I haven't heard about any changes since then:

By default, Firefox will try to color manage tagged images (JPEGs and PNGs). You can review and experiment with the following preferences to see whether one of them is causing the problem:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste gfx.c and pause while the list is filtered

gfx.color_management.mode - governs application of color management to images

0 = off
1 = on for ALL images
2 = on for TAGGED images (default)

I can't recall whether you need to quit/restart Firefox before this change, or changes to the below preferences, takes effect.

gfx.color_management.display_profile - if you have created a custom monitor profile and Firefox is not using it, you can enter the path to it here.

gfx.color_management.enablev4 - double-click to toggle to true if your custom monitor profile is an ICC v4 profile

gfx.color_management.rendering_intent - whether Firefox honors or overrides the intent flag in the ICC profile, by default, overrides to Perceptual

For details, see: https://developer.mozilla.org/Firefox/R ... in_Firefox

Source: https://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/1171999

(Please note that this is a response to a user wondering why the same image shows different colour values in Firefox and Edge).

Another option to minimize potential problems for Photoshop users is by using the "Save for Web & Devices" funtion from the File menu. This will remove any embedded colour management information and save the image in strict sRGB mode (if that setting is selected, of course).

Now, there is still one instance in between that may change the colour impression of an image when it's uploaded, and that's how the image processing framework on our server interpretes the picture (ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick - I forgot which one our server actually uses).

And that's where this post ends. Because I honestly have no idea how we could tweak this. If anybody has any suggestions, please do let me know. :)
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 Apr 18, 12:49Post
Thanks Stefan, I'll dive into those later.
What changed in my end:
- CS5 went to CC since CS5 couldn't handle the raw files off the 5DSR.
- Body changed from a 5DIII to a 5DSR.

So the issue is tied to one of those two points. It's likely in photoshop. The way the image displays on my phone is the same as it does in Firefox.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 Apr 18, 21:27Post
vikkyvik wrote:
CO777ER wrote:I may have figured it out.

I don't think that's it. I have "Working CMYK" checked.

When you save, do you have "ICC Profile: sRGB v1.31 (Canon)" checked?

Here's what's showing up:

I don't see the option to change it in the Save As interface. I'll dig into this to see if I can match what you mentioned.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 Apr 18, 21:37Post
This one looks much closer to what I have in Photoshop CC.
TNCB 08 Apr 18, 15:55Post
Did you try the 'save for web' option? If not, I'd suggest to give that a go.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 08 Apr 18, 18:46Post
It seems to be a Photoshop CC issue (or a setting within) as I'm now having the exact same issue (I'm trying the free trial with a view to moving to CC); the difference is quite noticeable.

I also used to use the 'Save for Web' option which always seemed to work, but this option no longer exists in CC 2018. (EDIT - Correction; it still exists but is buried as a legacy option).
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
airtrainer 08 Apr 18, 21:34Post
For me it worked when I selected "convert to profile"
Grounded...
vikkyvik 09 Apr 18, 00:36Post
mhodgson wrote:It seems to be a Photoshop CC issue (or a setting within) as I'm now having the exact same issue (I'm trying the free trial with a view to moving to CC); the difference is quite noticeable.

I dunno....I run Photoshop CC (2015) and haven't had this issue at all. Maybe something changed in a later version...?