You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

PSE + Mac: Episode II

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Oct 17, 17:30Post
I've decided to take another wack at this photo editing stuff on the Eye-Mac. I've got a growing backlog of photos and I want to take care of them.

Here is a recent shot upon which I tried a new workflow:

Now, before I reveal my workflow on this shot, I need your feedback. I liked it straight out of the camera. I like how it looks on the Eye-Mac. Looks good on two different PCs (one Windows, the other Ubuntu). I've seen it on my Eye-Pad as well and I'm still satisfied.

That said, I can't be certain I've discovered the "secret" unless I have fresh eyes look at the finished, uploaded product. So, I need your help. Thanks.
Make Orwell fiction again.
vikkyvik 11 Oct 17, 01:41Post
Non-nitpicky: Looks pretty good.

Nitpicky: somewhat noisy (I assume due to ISO?), the iPad is a bit OOF (I assume the focus point was on the console, or maybe on the headphones, as those look the most in-focus); maybe some in-camera NR applied?

Overall, probably about what I'd expect for a 2048-pixel upload with a large light variation (between outside and the console). Upload it at 1400 or less, add some selective sharpening and contrast, and I'd say it would look just fine.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 11 Oct 17, 09:03Post
Instinctive reaction is that it looks good; one thing I've always struggled with when flying and taking flight deck shots is the balance of interior and exterior lighting.

Can't argue with any of Vik's comments; but a lot of that could be eliminated with a smaller upload size; and none of it really detracts from the image.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Oct 17, 19:25Post
Ok...confession time. The only editing done to this shot is resizing down to the max upload size allowed here. Otherwise, it's straight out of my iPhone SE.

vikkyvik wrote:I assume the focus point was on the console, or maybe on the headphones, as those look the most in-focus

Exactly. It was the only way I could get a decent balance between inside/outside.

mhodgson wrote:lot of that could be eliminated with a smaller upload size;

I normally resize down to 1200 but on this machine haven't had much luck, at least with my DSLR shots. Haven't done much serious editing with my iPhone shots...yet.

Thanks guys! As it stands now, I guess I've found that iPhone shots don't need any editing other than resizing. I have a shot or two worthy of the DB that I can see if resizing down to 1200 results in incredible jaggies like I've experienced with my DSLR shots.

Since neither of you mentioned overall sharpness (other than the iPad), I'm assuming it looks pretty sharp to you on your machines?
vikkyvik 11 Oct 17, 21:16Post
ShyFlyer wrote: Otherwise, it's straight out of my iPhone SE.

Ahhh. That makes sense.

ShyFlyer wrote:As it stands now, I guess I've found that iPhone shots don't need any editing other than resizing.

I'd have to disagree there. They may not require much editing, but can require quite a bit more than DSLR shots, depending on the conditions.

Overall, I've found that iPhone shots tend to do pretty well with exposure and contrast. Typically mine will require some color correction, and maybe noise reduction. And usually some selective sharpening after resizing.

ShyFlyer wrote:Since neither of you mentioned overall sharpness (other than the iPad), I'm assuming it looks pretty sharp to you on your machines?

It looks about as sharp as I'd expect a 2048-pixel shot to look. Which isn't spectacularly sharp. But it's not too bad.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 13 Oct 17, 04:20Post
I forgot you mentioned noise in my shot. I can't see it on any version of my shot. {vsad} Even the one I have on my FB page (which was totally unedited).

I thought Apple products where supposed to make life easier... {facepalm}
vikkyvik 13 Oct 17, 13:46Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I forgot you mentioned noise in my shot. I can't see it on any version of my shot. Even the one I have on my FB page (which was totally unedited).

It's visible in the darker areas of the image, like the console. Some chrominance noise and some luminance noise.

Neither are at obnoxious levels. They would be easily controlled, especially at a smaller upload size.

Overall, for an iPhone shot, it's not bad at all.

I just got an iPhone SE a couple weeks ago (downsized from an iPhone 6). I've only uploaded one shot with it so far, but I'd say it takes slightly better photos than the iPhone 6, at least in good light:

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 21 Dec 17, 22:50Post
Latest Eye-Fone shot. Unsharp mask 85%, Radius 0.2 Pixels.

[photo_large]photo_203679[/photo_large]

It looked sharp in PSE, after upload looks a tad soft, at least to me.
vikkyvik 24 Dec 17, 23:25Post
You have to remove the "photo_" from between the image brackets and just leave the "203679". Here you go:

ShyFlyer wrote: Unsharp mask 85%, Radius 0.2 Pixels.

Not bad, but I'd give it more sharpening.

Now that I've had my iPhone SE for a few months, one thing I've noticed: it adds HORRIBLE, HORRENDOUS noise reduction to noisier shots. I mean painful to look at. Some of my recent iPhone SE uploads look really bad at full size.

The good thing is, apparently if you download a better photo app, you can actually have it spit out RAW files. So I'll probably do that, so that I can use it for those times when I don't feel like digging out my camera.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 26 Dec 17, 00:13Post
vikkyvik wrote:You have to remove the "photo_" from between the image bracket...

Ahh...gee whiz! You'd think that someone like me who has been here forever wouldn't make just a newb mistake. {facepalm} {blush} Thanks for catching that!

vikkyvik wrote:Not bad, but I'd give it more sharpening.

Yeah, it tried. Increasing the % doesn't seem to do anything, increasing the radius shows results but, while in Photoshop, increasing beyond 0.3 introduces noticeable jaggies, even outside of PSE.

I'll get it one day.
vikkyvik 26 Dec 17, 15:59Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Increasing the % doesn't seem to do anything

At 0.2 radius, you have to increase the % by a lot to notice anything, in my experience.

ShyFlyer wrote:increasing the radius shows results but, while in Photoshop, increasing beyond 0.3 introduces noticeable jaggies, even outside of PSE.

I usually use radius 0.4, % anywhere from 50 to 80, and threshold of 2.