You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

Color Balance

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

vikkyvik 25 Feb 15, 16:12Post
OK, I love my new (used) 5D2. But I'm having serious issues getting a white balance / color balance that looks good.

While the 50D had that red cast that seems to be common to Canons, the 5D2 has a quite noticeable green cast, which is perhaps the most unpleasant color cast I've ever dealt with.

If I'm shooting in the middle of the day or at night, I'll just use Click White Balance, and click on a white or grey area, which usually does the trick. But I shoot a LOT in the evening close to sunset, when that option goes out the window.

Long story short, well, just read the first paragraph again. So, I'm curious what you guys think of the color balance on these images (these are a few of the ones I've struggled with):

Thanks for your comments/critiques/help.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 25 Feb 15, 16:37Post
Quick glance - EK and NZ look slightly yellow-ish, but that is probably a correct representation of the evening colours.

I usually use the levels function in PS to work on colour casts. Add a levels layer, then check the levels for each colour channel (R, G, B). Cut away dead parts of the histogram for each channel, that optimizes the contrast and removes colour casts at the same time.

It only works for photos with some "reserve" in the histogram. It's also tricky for morning or evening shots, where you would like to preserve a certain colour cast.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 25 Feb 15, 17:08Post
Zak wrote:I usually use the levels function in PS to work on colour casts. Add a levels layer, then check the levels for each colour channel #R, G, B#. Cut away dead parts of the histogram for each channel, that optimizes the contrast and removes colour casts at the same time.It only works for photos with some "reserve" in the histogram. It's also tricky for morning or evening shots, where you would like to preserve a certain colour cast.

I'm aware of that method. You may remember that I originally posted it here. ;)

But as you noted, that method will basically neutralize the colors (make whites look white), so doesn't work particularly well for evening shots. I also don't tend to use that method much, as I like to keep levels adjustment and color balancing separate for whatever reason. I only really use it when I have a JPEG with a hefty color cast, with no RAW file.

Yes, the colors should be somewhat yellow/reddish for all of those shots except the Etihad. But I can't seem to get nearly as pleasing and accurate evening colors as I could with the 50D. This is really - I mean REALLY - bothering me.

Thanks for your response.