You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

Image file size and uploading

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 09 Feb 15, 18:18Post
I've recently started editing my images to 1920 pixels and hope to make that my new standard size however when uploading some images recently to the site, I notice the majority of them are too large in file size, which is limited to 2MB I believe. Would it be cheeky to ask if this could be increased slightly? I'm not a fan of saving my images through the "save for web" option and stripping the EXIF. It seems the majority of images are around the 2.1MB mark.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Feb 15, 18:39Post
You can always ask, but I'm not sure if that's within our control. We may have to get the hoster to sort it, or we may be stuck with 2MB.

We'll look into it. :)
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 09 Feb 15, 20:15Post
Thanks anyway, worth a try. Thanks for looking into it! :)
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Feb 15, 21:24Post
Okay, it looks like it might work; I managed to upload a 2.2MB image just now. Try it?

There are two elements to it, one is a limit imposed by our code, the other is imposed by the server itself. Our limit was 2,000,000 bytes, to keep you away from what was a hard (and impressively badly-handled by my code) 2MB limit. It looks like moving to a new server has given us a higher server-imposed limit (though I don't know what yet), so I was able to up our limit to 2,500,000 bytes.

Note that the higher end of that is untested: even with a 2048x2048 image at 100% I could only get 2,333,154.

We're not going to take the brakes off completely and start eating monstrous files. Disk space is a concern, even if bandwidth isn't any more.
vikkyvik 09 Feb 15, 21:50Post
mr chips wrote:I've recently started editing my images to 1920 pixels and hope to make that my new standard size however when uploading some images recently to the site, I notice the majority of them are too large in file size, which is limited to 2MB I believe. Would it be cheeky to ask if this could be increased slightly? I'm not a fan of saving my images through the "save for web" option and stripping the EXIF. It seems the majority of images are around the 2.1MB mark.

Well I never! My my, how cheeky.
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 09 Feb 15, 22:23Post
Works like a charm now :)) Thanks for looking into it so promptly. Maybe a limit of 2.2MB or 2.3MB would be enough? Or is it easier to keep it to a more rounded number like 2.5MB?
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Feb 15, 22:27Post
It's just a number in a file, we can certainly bring it down. We'll think about it... Right now there's a lot going on off-site, so if I crank it down and it turns out to be too low it may be a few days before I can get to it again. For now it'll probably stay where it is, unless I get a bollocking off the other two. {boxed}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 09 Feb 15, 22:52Post
I don't think there is (or ever was) a limitation from our hoster regarding file sizes.

We do have a limited overall storage capacity, though. We can extend it any time, but more storage capacity means higher costs. And the site is bleeding money as it is already.

Raising the limit isn't an immediate concern, as it will increase the data usage only marginally, if at all. So no bollocking from this one.

But we have to find a way to monetarize the site, or we may be forced to reduce the file size to zero at some point.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Feb 15, 22:58Post
Zak wrote:I don't think there is (or ever was) a limitation from our hoster regarding file sizes.

I definitely hit something during the early testing/commissioning, at the 2MB mark. No matter, it's not there now.

The bills, on the other hand...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 09 Feb 15, 23:04Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:I definitely hit something during the early testing/commissioning, at the 2MB mark. No matter, it's not there now.

Riiight... wasn't there something with some script timing out when the image files were too large? Anyway, that was what - two servers ago? I've lost count over all the smooth server transitions... :))
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 10 Feb 15, 15:34Post
JUST out of curiosity, is it possible to go over 2048 pixels wide as well?

Some of the panoramas I've uploaded or would like to upload are just too large to look like much at 2048 pixels.

I think I asked this question before, but figured I'd ask again.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 10 Feb 15, 16:50Post
Theoretically, I see no reason why not. The server doesn't seem to care about pixel dimensions, it's only file size that's possibly an issue as far as I'm aware.

Practically, having talked with Vic and Stefan (no bollocking!) I think both increased file size and increased pixel size (which entails a bigger file, all other things being equal) are going to have to be First Class features. Increased disk usage has a direct effect on our hosting bill, and while we've gotten more aggressive about clearing cached copies, etc., to stay below our allocation there's only so much of that we can do. Realistically, we can't just give it away for free.

Just to give us some idea here, what pixel dimensions are we talking about?
vikkyvik 10 Feb 15, 18:56Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:I think both increased file size and increased pixel size (which entails a bigger file, all other things being equal) are going to have to be First Class features.

That's cool with me. I think I'm a First Class member, and if not, wouldn't have a problem signing up.

ShanwickOceanic wrote:Just to give us some idea here, what pixel dimensions are we talking about?

Hmmm. Not at home right now. But for example, I actually cropped off the ends of this photo:

...in order to upload and not have the photo height be tiny. I dunno, maybe 3000 pixels? Can give you a better idea when I get home.