You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

How Would You Expose This?

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

vikkyvik 11 Mar 14, 02:26Post
Honestly not hit-seeking here, but really curious.

I have this shot:

I quite like it. My first edit had the aircraft somewhat darker, to salvage some of the highlights in the back. Then I realized I didn't really care too much about the highlights in the back, and brightened the whole thing up a half-stop or so, which strikes a decent balance, in my totally biased opinion.

Simple question: how would you expose this shot? Would you:

A. Expose for the highlights, and darken the whole image;
B. Expose for the aircraft, and damn the highlights;
E. Try to strike a balance, similar to my edit;
C. Expose another better-lighted aircraft;
D. Start a topic about it, then spill Gatorade on your mouse;
F. Make this question into a forum poll, which Vik didn't know how to do but just saw the "poll creation" tab below the text box so now knows how to do but doesn't feel like changing around the post to create it...

?

Any responses appreciated.
AndesSMF (Founding Member) 11 Mar 14, 05:00Post
I sort of like it the way it is.
Einstein said two things were infinite; the universe, and stupidity. He wasn't sure about the first, but he was certain about the second.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 11 Mar 14, 05:15Post
Unless you want to get very detailed with the selection tool on the LAN 767, I'd leave it alone. The reason I say that is the Delta Airbus in the background is already way overexposed.
vikkyvik 11 Mar 14, 05:51Post
CO777ER wrote:Unless you want to get very detailed with the selection tool on the LAN 767, I'd leave it alone. The reason I say that is the Delta Airbus in the background is already way overexposed.

I pretty much totally avoid selective editing, with the exception of sharpening and dust spot removal, so no, I wouldn't selectively brighten the LAN.

To be clear, I am going to leave it alone, as I like it the way it is, but I'm curious what others would do.
LX-A343 15 Mar 14, 09:41Post
I'd go with this ...
vikkyvik wrote:D. Start a topic about it, then spill Gatorade on your mouse;

{laugh} {laugh}

Seriously, I'd go with brightening the whole photo up a bit to get the main subject better exposed. I wouldn't care too much about the background. By tweaking only the curves, I'm sure you get the aircraft better exposed without having a too obstructing white patch in the background.

Cheerio
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 15 Mar 14, 14:52Post
The way you've edited the exposure looks fine to me, I'd have exposed similarly however if there's ever part of an image close to being overexposed, I'd use the dodge brush in CS5.
Wallace 28 May 14, 04:03Post
The exposure has a natural look for a night-time photo, so why mess with it? Anything else would look unnatural.
Expose for the highlights, never burn them out, because the eye is naturally drawn to the brightest part of the picture and in this case it is away from your subject.