You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

Resizing photos to fit upload parameters

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 03 Nov 13, 21:59Post
...or rather failing completely to do so {crazy}

Ok I'm undoubtedly being a dimwit here, but I've been trying to resize my pics in photoshop elements 10 to fit the upload parameters. And if I go into what seems to be the resizing option it fails completely. It doesn't give me a pixels option just mm/cm/inches etc.

So what am I doing wrong? When I try to change the measurements it seemingly changes it, but when I look again it hasn't done a thing. I realise I'm fighting a lost cause in trying to edit them properly (I just cant do it to a level I'm happy with, despite kind attempts to help by others) but its immensely frustrating not even being able to resize the damn things.

I've got a tonne of Istanbul photos like the one below (and from areas where the public doesn't get), also a load more from South Africa, Cebu and Manila in the Philippines and Hong Kong, but I'm just getting massively annoyed with my total ineptness.

The pic below is file size shrunk in terms of kb which I can do - but that of course just reduces the file size and quality but not dimensions.

So being at the end of my tether can anyone help before I dump them all on facebook and lob my laptop out the window, and indeed are images like this worth even uploading now we have some real quality on here?

Yours a very frustrated grumpy Cornish {grumpy}

IMG_7824 v2.JPG
IMG_7824 v2.JPG (197.95 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 03 Nov 13, 22:16Post
I don't have any experience with Elements but in Photoshop if you go to Image -> Image Size you can change the size of your photo. If your going to crop the image and want to crop it to a certain ratio there should be some text boxes that appear on the toolbar at the top when you click on the crop icon.
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 03 Nov 13, 22:23Post
CO777ER wrote:I don't have any experience with Elements but in Photoshop if you go to Image -> Image Size you can change the size of your photo. If your going to crop the image and want to crop it to a certain ratio there should be some text boxes that appear on the toolbar at the top when you click on the crop icon.

That's where I go in Elements but it doesn't seem to change anything when I do try to.

Cropping isn't a problem though. I'm fine with that fortunately.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 03 Nov 13, 22:25Post
Are you adjusting image size or canvas size?
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Nov 13, 22:26Post
You have to check the box labelled "Resample image", then PS Elements will allow you to enter specific pixel dimensions.

For the resample method, chose "Bicubic, sharper" when downsizing.

Make sure to also have "constrain proportions" checked.

You can then enter pixel dimensions. Our database allows max. 2048 px on the wider side, and min. 600 px on the smaller side. I would recommend a resolution of 1280 - 1600 px for most shots.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 03 Nov 13, 22:33Post
CO777ER wrote:Are you adjusting image size or canvas size?

Zak wrote:You have to check the box labelled "Resample image", then PS Elements will allow you to enter specific pixel dimensions.

For the resample method, chose "Bicubic, sharper" when downsizing.

Make sure to also have "constrain proportions" checked.

You can then enter pixel dimensions. Our database allows max. 2048 px on the wider side, and min. 600 px on the smaller side. I would recommend a resolution of 1280 - 1600 px for most shots.

Ok that's great. That's certainly making a difference, but it does now create files of low quality and 150kb size compared to 4.5mb or so. I can ramp up quality to about 800kb max - I don't know if that still stuffs the quality or not?
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Nov 13, 22:43Post
Have you been changing the document size (width, height, resolution) as well? If yes, please don't - those settings are made for preparing an image for print.

But my guess is you have chosen a too high compression when saving.

After bringing the image to the desired pixel dimensions, please go to "File" - "Save as". I would always recommend to save the edited version to a separate file, in order to preserve the original.

Enter a filename, and click "save". You should now get a box labelled "JPEG options". In the "Quality" box, please select 12 / Maximum.

The resulting file should have no less than 1 MB now, and should show no compression artifacts.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 03 Nov 13, 22:46Post
Zak wrote:For the resample method, chose "Bicubic, sharper" when downsizing.

Just for another point of view, I never choose "Bicubic sharper". Usually just use "Bicubic (best for smooth gradients)". I prefer to do my own sharpening post-resize.

But of course, opinions will vary.

cornish wrote:Ok that's great. That's certainly making a difference, but it does now create files of low quality and 150kb size compared to 4.5mb or so. I can ramp up quality to about 800kb max - I don't know if that still stuffs the quality or not?

Are you saving at the highest quality?

Typically, for my 1200-pixel final images, they're usually between 300 KB (for an airplane-against-blue-sky image) and 1.0 MB (for an airplane on the ground with lots of detail in the background).
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 03 Nov 13, 22:55Post
Zak wrote:Have you been changing the document size (width, height, resolution) as well? If yes, please don't - those settings are made for preparing an image for print.

nope definitely not doing that

Zak wrote:But my guess is you have chosen a too high compression when saving.

I have no idea :))

Zak wrote:After bringing the image to the desired pixel dimensions, please go to "File" - "Save as". I would always recommend to save the edited version to a separate file, in order to preserve the original.

I definitely do that given my hamfisted attempts :))

Zak wrote: Enter a filename, and click "save". You should now get a box labelled "JPEG options". In the "Quality" box, please select 12 / Maximum.

The resulting file should have no less than 1 MB now, and should show no compression artifacts.

1.5 mb sound about right in size terms?

vikkyvik wrote:Just for another point of view, I never choose "Bicubic sharper". Usually just use "Bicubic (best for smooth gradients)". I prefer to do my own sharpening post-resize.

But of course, opinions will vary.

Thanks I shall try both ways to see which works best for me. :)

vikkyvik wrote:Are you saving at the highest quality?

Yep

vikkyvik wrote:Typically, for my 1200-pixel final images, they're usually between 300 KB (for an airplane-against-blue-sky image) and 1.0 MB (for an airplane on the ground with lots of detail in the background)

Oh ok that small?

However the good news is that I think all that might have just worked!! So thank you to you all for your advice. I shall endeavour to have a go properly tomorrow as it's bedtime shortly as I'm up early to head to hospital in the morning.

Thanks all! {thumbsup} :)