You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

Help with Gamma and Contrast modification

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

HT-ETNW 29 Oct 13, 21:58Post
I have got a unique shot of a cabin interior which I would like to upload, but it does require prior adjustments of Gamma and Contrast.
The pictures comes off a Point&Shoot camera (Canon IXUS 220 HS) in JPEG format (4000 x 3000 pixels) and was shot using a flash (see reflection above moving map display), so the basis material ain't the best.

So far I have
- increased Gamma correction to a value of 1.8 (Irfan View)
- decreased contrast by -20 %
- Applied Sharpen 2x
- resized to 800 pix wide to comply with max. file size as attachment w/o having a too big loss in new JPEG compression.

IMG_0925 Cabin HahnAir D-CHRA 04 96.jpg
Cabin interior D-CHRA - test 04 96
IMG_0925 Cabin HahnAir D-CHRA 04 96.jpg (230.23 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

Q: Would you do any other (color) adjustments ?

For the curious ones: The aircraft is a Cessna Citation CJ4 flying with Hahn Air of Germany, and, yes, these two seats are facing backwards (the other 4 pax seats are facing forward; the one F/A seat under the moving map display is facing the entrance door).
-HT
Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
vikkyvik 30 Oct 13, 15:06Post
I would probably give it some CCW rotation. Also wouldn't sharpen quite as much as you did (though not sure if you will be uploading at 800 pix or larger). Could use a bit of contrast to my eyes as well.

But that's all pretty minor.
HT-ETNW 30 Oct 13, 22:09Post
Thanks for the input; after viewing the test picture on another computer it looked a bit overdone.
I now ncreased Gamma correction significantly less and kept contrast as it originally was.

Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Oct 13, 22:57Post
Awesome difference, HT. Super nice now. {thumbsup}