You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

TS-INH at HAJ

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

DavidGl 03 Jul 13, 18:51Post
Hullo,
yesterday I made a Shot from behind with Runway Lights:
Its a bit grainy or something like this, as a Result of ISO 400 and F/6.3

This is the unedited and full res Version
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1619/r4s9.jpg

I am somehow not able to make it a nice looking picture (although I really like the perspective and moment, reflections of piano keys at the a/c) without looking grainy and bad quality.
Thoughts appreciated!

Greets
Last edited by Zak on 03 Jul 13, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded the photo - trust that's okay
vikkyvik 03 Jul 13, 19:58Post
You have a few things working against you:

1.) The light isn't great.
2.) Lots of heat haze / jetwash over the airplane.
3.) The original is underexposed, which will increase the noise.

Ultimately, though, I'd say #1 is the biggest issue. It's difficult to take a photo with light like that and make it look really good. The colors will be drab, the contrast low, etc...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Jul 13, 20:06Post
I would not necessarily agree here, Vik. The exposure actually isn't too bad. David, I think the mistake you made was pushing the exposure too much while editing. In other words, you made the shot too bright.

It's a dusk shot, so it can remain a bit darker, to reflect the mood. Here is a quick edit I made:

r4s9_zak_1280.jpg
r4s9_zak_1280.jpg (603.79 KiB) Viewed 2693 times

The shot does show a bit of noise (due to high ISO), so I ran a noise filter on the predominant blue colour channel first. Then, I removed the dustspots (I'd recommend to clean camera and lens ;) ).

After that, I took care of the levels. I used the "levels by colour channel" method that was discussed here a while ago. Cut back the highlights of the blue colour channel more than the other ones, to remove the greenish-yellowish hue the original showed, and bring out the blue mood.

After that, a slight kick with the dreaded shadows/highlights filter. Brings out the piano keys reflection more nicely.

Then another noise filter, sharpening, downsizing - done.

(Btw, I embedded the original database photo in the OP, hope that's okay :) )
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
DavidGl 03 Jul 13, 20:18Post
Thank you Zak! Hope you dont mind that I replaced the Photo with the version you edited. Cleaning camera is a bit tricky for me, because it does not have auto clean. Also I don't have photoshop...
I am looking forward for HAM at 25.7. or the following days!
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Jul 13, 20:23Post
DavidGl wrote:Thank you Zak! Hope you dont mind that I replaced the Photo with the version you edited.

Not at all. You are welcome! :)

DavidGl wrote:I am looking forward for HAM at 25.7. or the following days!

Dang, I'll be in Poland that week.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 03 Jul 13, 20:40Post
Zak wrote:I would not necessarily agree here, Vik.

Hey, I can't always be right! :))

Only thing I would have done differently from you is not use as much NR. It shows a bit in the grass and runway. And with resizing, I don't think it should require much.

And hey, you used my leveling-by-color-channel technique, so I can't be too unhappy.

Now I just need to collect my royalties....