You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Photo Editing & Feedback

Magenta edge tinting

Workflows, editing help and feedback on your aviation photos.

mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 03 Apr 13, 17:27Post
Having finally managed to download my photos from yesterday, I have noticed a distinct magenta edge lining/tinting on several of my photos; notably in this one:

Most obviously around the flaps/wing joins.

As you can see, it is also having a significant effect on the runway lights which really ruins the effect and causes a major distraction in the photo. I have tried a number of settings in Adobe Camera Raw and in Photoshop CS4 which reduce the effect but don't remove it. Any suggestions?
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Apr 13, 18:38Post
That might be chromatic aberration. Photoshop has a correction filter for that. In ACR, you can find it in the "Lens Correction" tab, in PS under Filter -> Lens Correction.

However, that will not solve the coloured halo around the runway lights, which seems to be more than just a result of lens aberration. Did you have any filters on?

Best idea I have for that is to carefully select the tinted area in PS, and then desaturate it, by thus removing the colour cast.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 03 Apr 13, 18:51Post
Nope, no filters. I have managed to play with the lens aberration correction tool and whilst it does improve things it does not seem to be able to completely remove the tinting.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
vikkyvik 03 Apr 13, 19:40Post
Zak wrote:That might be chromatic aberration.

That's what it looks like to me too. If it shows up, I usually remove it after conversion to JPEG (not really sure why, just always done it that way). Photoshop's CA removal tool is pretty good, and quite fine-tune-able. Should easily be able to remove the CA around the flaps.

I'd expect it to show more strongly around the runway lights, since that's a very high-contrast edge, but that's even well beyond what I'd expect!

What lens and at what aperture and focal length?

All other options exhausted, I'd do what Zak suggested. I'd probably try just desaturating the magenta color channel (and whatever other ones carry the aberration info). But whatever makes it look relatively natural.

Unfortunately, I don't think Photoshop lets you do selective CA correction, so that you could use different strengths on different parts of the photo. Not sure why not.