You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Spotting Guides

Munich

Information on world-wide spotting locations, links and contacts.

mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 15 Apr 18, 11:09Post
Spending a couple of days in Munich next week and was wondering if it was worth bringing my camera equipment with me for what is likely only to be a few hours at the Besucherpark after arrival - what are the views like for photography and how much am I likely to see there?

I'm also conscious that the forecast is for sunshine and warm weather; is heat haze likely to pose a problem?
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
mr chips (Photo Quality Screener) 16 Apr 18, 18:37Post
Martin, there's a free viewing terrace in Terminal 2 where you shot through glass. I was there in Feb although it was pretty murky and snowy but it seemed like a nice enough place to take photographs. If it's sunny, it's probably better in the later half of the day though after 1pm. You should be able to catch some Lufthansa A340-600's, A330's and A350's from this spot.

There's also the Spotting Pyramid which is part of the mini collection of museum aircraft at the airport. You can walk from the terminal or take a quick hop on the train. Entry is 1 or 2 euros via a turnstile at the bottom of the hill. This place would be great for arrivals into the Northern RWY from the west.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Apr 18, 18:52Post
Thanks, should be arriving in T2 so I'll check it out - will try and get to the pyramid too, see what it's like in the afternoon though lack of cover concerns me a little with my skin! :))
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Apr 18, 19:06Post
mhodgson wrote:will try and get to the pyramid too, see what it's like in the afternoon though lack of cover concerns me a little with my skin!

The viewing hill is a great spot though you will see some haze if it's a warm, still day. You are totally exposed up there, so you will need the factor 50 and a good hat if the sun is out. Thankfully there's a nice little cafe at the bottom of the hill where there is plenty of shelter (and quite good beer, it is Munich after all). As Dave mentioned, remember some 1 Euro coins for the turnstile.

The collection at the bottom of the hill is definitely worth a look around though they do tend to shut it quite early, around 4PM IIRC:

A million great ideas...
airtrainer 16 Apr 18, 20:09Post
There is a very good review but you probably know it already. About the terrace it is said to be good in the afternoon...
http://www.spotterguide.net/planespotti ... -muc-eddm/
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 16 Apr 18, 20:48Post
There's also hop-on apron bus tours from the visitor park. JLAmber and me took the one including a stop at the fire brigade, back in 2010. Money well spent:

Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.