You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Spotting Guides

SNA Locations

Information on world-wide spotting locations, links and contacts.

vikkyvik 17 Dec 14, 16:44Post
My new workplace is a 5-minute drive from SNA (aircraft fly directly over work on approach to 20R). So yesterday after work, I went over there to do some shooting.

I'd read about people spotting from an office park parking lot on the northwest end of the airport, right here:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZpIAZ

I'm not crazy about hanging out on private property, even if the businesses don't care (which people seemed to say was true). So I parked at the end of Airport Loop Drive, and just shot from right around there:

http://goo.gl/maps/JGNGF

There is an 8-foot chain-link fence, so touchdown/lineup shots are difficult, though possible (you're shooting at quite an angle through the fence, so depth-of-field was more of a help than shooting between the links):

You can get plenty of approach shots from there:

(sorry, I haven't uploaded a "normal" approach shot yet)

A 70-200 lens would be perfect for side-on shots there. You're about 500 feet laterally and 100 feet vertically from the aircraft when they pass by. The light is good there in the afternoon.

No one hassled me for the 45 minutes I was there. Some kids brought their BMWs there, and were peeling out and such, stupid but no big deal. Another guy in a pickup stopped by and we talked for a bit about the cool location; he also mentioned loved the photos he'd seen from SXM.
vikkyvik 31 Dec 14, 03:35Post
vikkyvik wrote:So I parked at the end of Airport Loop Drive, and just shot from right around there:

So I've been back there twice since I first posted. Both times right after work, in the late afternoon (around 3:45 PM). Both times, Orange County Sheriff cars patrolling the airport have pulled up (on the airfield-side of the fence), and have walked over to talk to me (through the fence, of course).

Those two exchanges have probably been the most polite, courteous, and friendly conversations I've ever had with law enforcement officers. They asked what I was doing, asked about my camera, asked if it was a hobby of mine, then basically said (on both occasions), "don't worry, no one has called or anything, we're just checking you out" (or whatever), "have fun, get some great shots, just don't do anything suspicious or stupid". Then they wished me a nice day, etc., and went on their way.

I assume they've had some less friendly exchanges, because the first time, the guy very specifically said "we're not approaching you for any reason, we're keeping our distance, just checking on you".

The second time (different officer), he asked me how it was going, so just out of courtesy I asked how things were going on his side of the fence, and we talked about the Christmas rush currently going on (I think this was the 23rd).

I think I can sum it up by saying I gave them no reason to worry, and they gave me no reason to worry. So bravo, OC Sheriff. I'm impressed.