You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Spotting Guides

Hong Kong Spotting Information

Information on world-wide spotting locations, links and contacts.

Paul Chandler1 29 May 14, 16:06Post
Have just spent 4 days in Hong Kong for spotting and photography and though I would put something here which may help.

Generally the weather is not always helpful with a lot of haze and pollution issues. However when it is good there are some good opportunities to be had.

The airport is stuated away from HK itselt but is well served by the MTR railway and airport express trains. The nearest MTR is Tung Chung and the S1 bus will get you to and from the airport. The airport has a observation area which is accessed by heading towards Terminal 2 and following the signs to the IMAX theatre and ask for a ticket tp the skydeck. It costs 15Hk dollars. The only downside is that there are no facilities when there so take food and plenty of water if planning an all day visit as it will be hot and sticky. There is little shade so a hat and sunscreen is also a good idea. The more usual pattern has aircraft landing on 25r with departures on 25l. However there will be some landers on 25l. A 300 to 400mm lens is ideal for anything. The sun is ok until mid afternoon as it moves around. An alternative spot is to then go down to HAECO end to photograph departures on 25l. To get here take the S1 bus to Tung Chung and then the S52 to HAECO and walk back towards the 25l runway. Again no shlter or facilities so take water etc. A Octopus card will provide a quick method of payment for bus and MTR travel. Have posted a few pics from here.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 May 14, 16:31Post
Excellent stuff, I haven't had the pleasure of a day at the airport in Hong Kong since the days of Kai Tak.

Paul Chandler1 wrote:There is little shade so a hat and sunscreen is also a good idea.

Sound advice, it always surprised me how much the sun penetrated even on typical Hong Kong murky days.

Paul Chandler1 wrote:Have posted a few pics from here.

Feel free to embed one in such posts as this by using the 'photo' or 'photo_large' buttons found above the posting box. They show up like this:

A million great ideas...
Paul Chandler1 30 May 14, 09:06Post
Hi, I will edit the first post later today maybe as I was the gate writing the info when the boarded started. Am back home now so will upload a few more from the skydeck
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 May 14, 09:13Post
Paul Chandler1 wrote:Hi, I will edit the first post later today maybe as I was the gate writing the info when the boarded started. Am back home now so will upload a few more from the skydeck

These are the threads I like. {cheerful}

Welcome aboard Paul.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Paul Chandler1 30 May 14, 09:20Post
Paul Chandler1 wrote:Have just spent 4 days in Hong Kong for spotting and photography and though I would put something here which may help.

Generally the weather is not always helpful with a lot of haze and pollution issues. However when it is good there are some good opportunities to be had.

The airport is stuated away from HK itself but is well served by the MTR railway and airport express trains. The nearest MTR is Tung Chung and the S1 bus will get you to and from the airport. The airport has a observation area which is accessed by heading towards Terminal 2 and following the signs to the IMAX theatre and ask for a ticket to the skydeck. It costs 15Hk dollars. The only downside is that there are no facilities when there so take food and plenty of water if planning an all day visit as it will be hot and sticky. There is little shade so a hat and sunscreen is also a good idea.
However the skydeck does not open until 11am but there are a couple of alternatives where arrivals on 25r can be monitored. The first of these is along from door 4 of the departures level and overlooks the Regal Airport Hotel (see photo)
The more usual pattern has aircraft landing on 25r with departures on 25l. However there will be some landers on 25l. A 300 to 400mm lens is ideal for anything. The sun is ok until mid afternoon as it moves around. An alternative spot is to then go down to HAECO end to photograph departures on 25l. To get here take the S1 bus to Tung Chung and then the S52 to HAECO and walk back towards the 25l runway. Again no shelter or facilities so take water etc. A Octopus card will provide a quick method of payment for bus and MTR travel. Have posted a few pics from here.
Paul Chandler1 30 May 14, 09:26Post
Paul Chandler1 wrote:
Paul Chandler1 wrote:Have just spent 4 days in Hong Kong for spotting and photography and though I would put something here which may help.

The airport is stuated away from HK itself but is well served by the MTR railway and airport express trains. The nearest MTR is Tung Chung and the S1 bus will get you to and from the airport. The airport has a observation area which is accessed by heading towards Terminal 2 and following the signs to the IMAX theatre and ask for a ticket to the skydeck. It costs 15Hk dollars. The only downside is that there are no facilities when there so take food and plenty of water if planning an all day visit as it will be hot and sticky. There is little shade so a hat and sunscreen is also a good idea.
However the skydeck does not open until 11am but there are a couple of alternatives where arrivals on 25r can be monitored. The first of these is along from door 4 of the departures level and overlooks the Regal Airport Hotel (see photo)
The more usual pattern has aircraft landing on 25r with departures on 25l. However there will be some landers on 25l. A 300 to 400mm lens is ideal for anything. The sun is ok until mid afternoon as it moves around. An alternative spot is to then go down to HAECO end to photograph departures on 25l. To get here take the S1 bus to Tung Chung and then the S52 to HAECO and walk back towards the 25l runway. Again no shelter or facilities so take water etc. A Octopus card will provide a quick method of payment for bus and MTR travel. Have posted a few pics from here.
Paul Chandler1 03 Jun 14, 16:06Post
More HK spotting information - both of the photos below were taken on the Skydeck - the Fed ex landing on 25L and the A380 on 25R. Taken with 100 - 400mm lens