You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Spotting Guides

KIAH - Houston's George Bush Intercontinental

Information on world-wide spotting locations, links and contacts.

CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 04 Mar 13, 05:16Post
This link provides a current list of locations to spot from: Click Here

Keep in mind that most locations require you to call in to the local security department. They will ask you what vehicle you are in and where you are.

The best spotting location in Houston, Rankin Road, has been re-opened. Kudos to the Houston Spotters group for re-gaining access to this location.

The local security number to call for all locations besides Lee Road is: 281-230-1300

For reference:

North Cargo:

Parking Garage

Lee Road (Official Location & backlit prone)
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 20 Mar 13, 05:23Post
Photos from the new location at Rankin Road:

CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 09 Feb 18, 20:22Post
Houstonspotters.net has reported that the Rankin Road location has been barricaded off due to security issues. This is unfortunate as it was probably one of the best spots for photos in Texas if not the US. (Even more so if you end up taking a lot of photos of white aircraft with blue tails.)
DXing 10 Feb 18, 23:23Post
CO777ER wrote:The best spotting location in Houston, Rankin Road, has been re-opened. Kudos to the Houston Spotters group for re-gaining access to this location.

What about FM 1960 by Foxwood forest for landings on 26R..get a taco and some pictures at the same time. ;) One of my best IAH memories is of an American Eagle Saab on final with a BA 747 doing swooping S turns behind it trying to keep from having to go around. {laugh}

Also along Farrell Road for landings on 08L.

I miss Houston.... :(
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 12 Feb 18, 02:05Post
I haven't been to either of those spots, but here's the latest from Houston Spotters:
Blair McFarlain wrote:All, I am happy to report that the Rankin road spotting area has been reopened!

As before, please follow the guidelines below, and make sure you don't leave trash behind.

Please park your vehicles on the asphalt surface, not in the grass.

Please use the established call-in procedures to advise the Airport Communication Center (ACC) of your presence at the location, this would be calling 281-230-1300 and advising that you are at the Rankin Road spotting location.

Please do not climb or approach the perimeter fence.

As in all situations, use common sense and safety precautions to maintain the safety and security of yourself and your possessions.

Keep in mind that this location can become heavily used during periods of construction at IAH.

As with the other spotting locations, please report suspicious activities to the ACC at the phone number listed above.

{thumbsup} {thumbsup}