You are at netAirspace : Forum : Spotting and Photography Forums : Spotting Guides

Aircraft Bone And Storage Yards World Wide

Information on world-wide spotting locations, links and contacts.

DXing 14 Oct 20, 17:10Post
The thread about the Singapore Airlines A380 being used for dining had a blurb about how the airline had moved unused aircraft to Alice Springs for storage. I've been thinking about doing a boneyard trip for a while now. Obviously doing it internationally would have its challenges at the moment but travel will probably open back up long before air traffic picks up so that the storage depots will be emptied out.

How about a list of bone yard/storage depots around the world that are at least visually accessible? It would be interesting to see how many a person could visit if they had the time and money.

In the United States I know of several...

Roswell Intl Airport NM
Goodyear Airport AZ
Pinal Air Park AZ
Kingman Airport AZ
and of course,
Victorville CA

Used to be a boneyard at Palmdale CA but a google maps satellite view doesn't show anything there anymore. Perhaps with the uptick in activity there they decided they didn't want it used for that anymore.

If you can add to the list, especially internationally, it would make for great trip planning.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
CentrelinePhoto 15 Oct 20, 08:12Post
The UK has Kemble in the Cotswolds and St. Athan in south Wales. Exeter, Newquay and Norwich on a smaller scale (and even our busier ones are very small fry when compared with those you've mentioned).

Teruel in Spain, Chateauroux in France.
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Oct 20, 08:15Post
There's Mojave CA, of course.

My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 15 Oct 20, 08:59Post
Roswell Intl Airport NM
Goodyear Airport AZ
Pinal Air Park AZ
Kingman Airport AZ
Victorville CA
Mojave, CA
Teruel, Spain
Chateauroux, France
Tarbes, France
Kemble, UK
St. Athan, UK
Bruntingthorpe, UK
Crestview, FL
Sanford, FL
Opa-Locka, FL
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 15 Oct 20, 09:14Post
Lasham in the UK often sees stored aircraft as well.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Oct 20, 10:57Post
mhodgson wrote:Lasham in the UK often sees stored aircraft as well.

Yep, went there for a gliding evening once and got to see a 727 take-off up close {cheerful} At the time (2001ish), there were also a lot of BA 757s there.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Oct 20, 11:09Post
If you're in Cornwall anyway (and you should be - it's stunning), Predannack Airfield may be worth a visit. There's not a lot there, and it's in pretty poor condition, but it's likely to be interesting - and the decay can certainly make for interesting photos.

http://desertedplaces.blogspot.com/2016 ... nnack.html

Access is... possible. Legal? *ahem*
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Oct 20, 13:38Post
GEY, Greybull, Wyoming.

Not what you might expect...
DXing 15 Oct 20, 16:24Post
Crestview FL? I was stationed at Eglin AFB for 18 months in the late 70's and never knew.

Predannak Airfield sounds interesting. As much as I like the whole airplane, military nose art of any kind holds the special niche interest for me. Thanks for the ideas, I'll obviously have to back pocket the ones in Europe for a while but the ones in the States are doable.

I left out the really big military one in the States, the AMARG storage and recycle site at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson AZ. Nighthawk and I visited there several years back and I would recommend the tour to anyone in the area with a few hours to kill.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
darrenvox 15 Oct 20, 20:31Post
interesting... i thought i kew them all!!

i knew the AZ or CA ones but never knew of wyoming and florida
https://darrensfs9site.weebly.com
airtrainer 15 Oct 20, 21:39Post
There's also Enschede in The Netherlands, close to the German border.

I think there is a boneyard in Surabaya, Indonesia.

This website has some good informations : https://www.airplaneboneyards.com/index.htm
Grounded...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Oct 20, 19:35Post
BOH is always worth a look if you're in the area. While they don't store huge numbers at any one time (Covid-19 storage for BA aside), there is a quick turnaround so you'll often catch previously unseen stuff on its way to being beer cans and even a few mid-mx frames being hauled between hangars.
A million great ideas...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 20 Oct 20, 10:17Post
Bruntingthorpe is another although I'm not sure its in quite as heavy use as it used to be
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.