You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Aviation Sports & Hobby

1:400 Collection Started

General Aviation, Air Races, Gliding, RC Aircraft, Model Collections, Flight Simulators.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 14 Apr 15, 16:30Post
It all started with an A340-300 in Airbus colors I was given at Toulouse.

So now I have the following:
British Trident
USA Jet DC-9-30
Delta 717-200
Delta DC-6
Lynden Air Cargo L382G
Beta Cargo 707-320B
Miamiair 737-800 :))
National Airlines 727-100
Allegiant MD-80
BAC Concorde
ONA DC-10-30
ONA DC-8-61
ONA L-188
RAF VC-10
National Airlines DC-8-71F
Iberia A330-300
VASP MD-11
Air China 747-8

Going by the Airplane Shop and going through the clearance area usually yields a few gems. A habit forming collection.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Apr 15, 16:53Post
Definitely habit-forming. At least you had the good sense to form a 1:400 habit rather than a 1:200 one. (Although I've also got a lot of 1:400 A380s...)

Is it just whatever grabs your fancy on the day? That tends to be what drives my choices (in other words, it'll be a LONG time before new AA makes it into my cabinet). But if I see something I've been on I like to have it, which is why I've spent the last six months resisting this. Oooh, half-price....
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 14 Apr 15, 17:10Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Is it just whatever grabs your fancy on the day?

Pretty much. I like some of the old stuff along with airplanes I have been aboard.

I forgot to add one I should be receiving tomorrow: A TWA L1649A. I have to go across the street to the people that make acrylic displays, ask how much a case would run me. Right now they are in their boxes against a wall.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 14 Apr 15, 18:10Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Definitely habit-forming. At least you had the good sense to form a 1:400 habit rather than a 1:200 one.

Ha. 1:144...

But I like to build and paint them myself...which I haven't done in 3 years. {sigh}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Apr 15, 19:57Post
GQfluffy wrote:Ha. 1:144...

I'm sure I saw a 1:72 747-400 kit once {bugeye}

miamiair wrote:I have to go across the street to the people that make acrylic displays, ask how much a case would run me.

Tell 'em to keep the plans, because once you see how good those things look in there you'll fill it in no time. I speak from experience.

Need to get them all shipped over at some point.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Apr 15, 20:08Post
I have a few GeminiJets in 1:400

Fed Ex DC-10
World MD-11
AA B707
USAF C-32
WN 737
BA Concorde

I've also got an HP A320 in 1:200. Actually I've got two of them. The first one was damaged beyond repair after the shelf it was on collapsed.
Make Orwell fiction again.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 Apr 15, 18:54Post
I'd love to find a Big Sky Airlines Fairchild Metro or Beechcraft 1900D in any scale...supposedly they were made at some point...but I have found zip on it. {grumpy}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Apr 15, 20:03Post
One of the other aviation sites I belong to had a guy selling his 1:400 collection (and various other stuff, I think his wife found out about his girlfriend) a couple of weeks ago. I wish I'd have known - he had loads of good stuff, including an AN-225 with the buran on top.
A million great ideas...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 15 Apr 15, 20:15Post
JLAmber wrote:One of the other aviation sites I belong to had a guy selling his 1:400 collection (and various other stuff, I think his wife found out about his girlfriend) a couple of weeks ago. I wish I'd have known - he had loads of good stuff, including an AN-225 with the buran on top.

Was he selling it or his wife? If it was the wife, it would have been a steal. {bugeye}
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Apr 15, 20:43Post
miamiair wrote:
JLAmber wrote:One of the other aviation sites I belong to had a guy selling his 1:400 collection (and various other stuff, I think his wife found out about his girlfriend) a couple of weeks ago. I wish I'd have known - he had loads of good stuff, including an AN-225 with the buran on top.

Was he selling it or his wife? If it was the wife, it would have been a steal. {bugeye}

{laugh} The models, fortunately. By the sounds of it you wouldn't want his wife for free, unless you had a junkyard that needed guarding!
A million great ideas...
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Apr 15, 01:40Post
JLAmber wrote:
miamiair wrote:

{laugh} The models, fortunately. By the sounds of it you wouldn't want his wife for free, unless you had a junkyard that needed guarding!

{rotfl} I think Vic was wondering if it was the wife who was selling the models -- yeah, that would have been quite a sale!
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Apr 15, 01:59Post
GQfluffy wrote:I'd love to find a Big Sky Airlines Fairchild Metro or Beechcraft 1900D in any scale...supposedly they were made at some point...but I have found zip on it. {grumpy}

We have one in GQ colors across from the tower. 1:1 scale.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Apr 15, 05:26Post
So you're...bringing it up this weekend?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Apr 15, 12:22Post
FlyingAce wrote:{rotfl} I think Vic was wondering if it was the wife who was selling the models -- yeah, that would have been quite a sale!

{blush} I see, it was him doing the selling. By all accounts he came home to find a storage company removing his belongings. At least she didn't trash them.

GQfluffy wrote:I'd love to find a Big Sky Airlines Fairchild Metro or Beechcraft 1900D in any scale...supposedly they were made at some point...but I have found zip on it. {grumpy}

Because of this thread I unearthed an Amberair 732 1:400 on ebay with no reserve. Got it for £12, should be arriving early next week {thumbsup}
A million great ideas...
airtrainer 16 Apr 15, 17:48Post
My collection was started by... my Girlfriend who bought me some models 3 years ago. Isn't she lovely ? {cheerful}
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.66 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 17 Apr 15, 17:44Post
A quick pic:
Attachments
Gemini Collection.JPG
Gemini Collection.JPG (323.49 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Apr 15, 17:26Post
I ran out of space...

Can you spot the new additions?
Attachments
Gemini1.JPG
Gemini1.JPG (361.54 KiB) Viewed 5559 times
airtrainer 18 Apr 15, 23:23Post
Looks like it's viral ;)

I'm running out of space too so I first need to buy another showcase... Nice additions btw !
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Apr 15, 23:58Post
AF A380
MX A319
El Al Bristol Britania
NA DC-8-21
AR B747SP
AA 788

And a British Caledonian L-1011 on the way; my own little Victorville.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 21 Apr 15, 09:14Post
Early B-day presents... It is cool to have a pig you actually worked on.

I've run out of space. I am going to have add another piece of acrylic and butt it up next to the existing shelf.

TAM 777-300ER
CU DC-4
EU B707-321C

Damn thing is habit forming.
Attachments
Gem1.JPG
Gem1.JPG (375.87 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
Gem2.JPG
Gem2.JPG (482.16 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
Gem3.JPG
Gem3.JPG (563.95 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
airtrainer 24 Apr 15, 23:59Post
Thanks Vic, I was looking at ebay for the TAM 773 and ended up buying 5 models {blush}

Iberworld A330-200
Ethiopian 767-300
TAM 777-300ER
China Eastern A330-300 "Expo 2010"
JALways Reso'cha 747-200
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 27 Apr 15, 12:36Post
Added some real estate.

New additions:
Aerosur B767-200 Sharko
Air Canada/Tango A320
bmi Baby 737-500
Caledonian L-1011

eBay stuff on the way
Attachments
Gem4.JPG
Gem4.JPG (371.85 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 27 Apr 15, 13:11Post
Someone's got the bug... :))

miamiair wrote:Air Canada/Tango A320

Got one of those in 1:200, StarJets IIRC. That (along with a SAS A321 I bought at the same time) was the second in my collection after a Swiss A321. It didn't stop there...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 27 Apr 15, 14:34Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Someone's got the bug... :))

Seems that way, I got the following on the way:
Can AF A310
Carnival A300
Airbus A300-605R
UA B720
Airbus A350-900
Don't remember the operator Tu-154M
airtrainer 27 Apr 15, 17:51Post
miamiair wrote:Added some real estate.

New additions:
Aerosur B767-200 Sharko
Air Canada/Tango A320
bmi Baby 737-500
Caledonian L-1011

eBay stuff on the way

Nice ones {thumbsup}
Most of my collection come from ebay, sometimes it's very hard to resist !

Two new ones for this week :
-Garuda MD-11
-Jet Airways 77W