You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Aviation Sports & Hobby

Four Dead In Small Plane Crash Near Karlsruhe

General Aviation, Air Races, Gliding, RC Aircraft, Model Collections, Flight Simulators.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 31 May 12, 08:40Post
Four people have died when their Robin DR400 Remorqueur aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff from Rheinstetten airfield near Karlsruhe, Germany.

The aircraft took off, but according to eye witnesses, never gained much height and crashed into a wooden area moments later. The wreck of the aircraft, that is made mostly of wood, burst into flames immediately, and was entirely consumed by the flames.

All four people on board - the 73 year old pilot, and a father with his 17 and 13 year old kids - were killed in the crash.

The reason for the crash remains unclear. A technical malfunction cannot be ruled out, but weather influence may also have played a role. A thunderstorm cell was approaching the airfield, resulting in a rapid drop in barometric pressure.

Here is a photo of a DR400 Remorqueur that I took in 2009. Please note that it does not show the crashed airframe:

More info about the DR400: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_DR400
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
BaylorAirBear (Founding Member) 31 May 12, 12:52Post
Is this in the correct forum? Just curious, trying to see the correlation.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you have boobs.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 31 May 12, 12:57Post
I had thought about putting it in CivAv, but it was a general aviation accident, not a commercial flight, so I thought it would better fit here.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
BaylorAirBear (Founding Member) 31 May 12, 13:10Post
Oh, I see. I had never made note of the "General Aviation, Air Races, Gliding, RC Aircraft, Model Collections, Flight Simulators." sub-heading.

Cheers
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you have boobs.