You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Aviation Sports & Hobby

Vulcan XH588 Two Engines Destroyed

General Aviation, Air Races, Gliding, RC Aircraft, Model Collections, Flight Simulators.

paul mcallister 30 May 12, 23:30Post
Avro Vulcan XH588 / G-VLCAN has suffered a very serious blow to it`s Airshow season,when two of its four RR Olympus engines were badly damaged and will have to be replaced.

As this is a charity dependant on donations,this could possible be the end of the worlds only flying Vulcan,if funding is not sourced quickly to replace the two engines.

More info here:

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/354/ ... pdate.html
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 May 12, 23:39Post
I've been following this on Facebook and twitter, very bad news indeed.

Word is that bags of silica gel were ingested, is there a use for these in maintenance? - I can't see them lying around on the runway.
A million great ideas...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 30 May 12, 23:49Post
JLAmber wrote:Word is that bags of silica gel were ingested, is there a use for these in maintenance? - I can't see them lying around on the runway.

Desicants that are placed in the engine containers during storage/shipping. But somebody goofed, big time.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
AndesSMF (Founding Member) 31 May 12, 00:04Post
miamiair wrote:But somebody goofed, big time.

Who should check the engines before start-up? Can the bags be seen from the ground?
Einstein said two things were infinite; the universe, and stupidity. He wasn't sure about the first, but he was certain about the second.
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 31 May 12, 07:46Post
JLAmber wrote:I've been following this on Facebook and twitter, very bad news indeed.

Word is that bags of silica gel were ingested, is there a use for these in maintenance? - I can't see them lying around on the runway.

That's exactly what happened. Cock up on the preflight checks.

Some silicon bags used to prevent moisture in the engines were not removed from the intakes prior to start up. When they engines spooled up for take off they went into no 1 engine which in turn took out no 2.

They have two spares fortunately so hopefully up and flying again soon.

Not for Farnborough though, which is a bugger as i was going to get a proper tour of the aircraft, although I've been invited to go up and see it at its home sometime otherwise.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 31 May 12, 07:58Post
Are there usually REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT streamers, or other bright red, on these? How big are they? I guess we're not talking about the little white DO NOT EAT packets I get in my electronics here :)

Is it just the fact that "something" was ingested, or is silica particularly bad? I'm thinking about the ash cloud and how that stuff was meant to melt on the way through and wreak havoc, though presumably these engines weren't up to temperature yet.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 31 May 12, 08:11Post
A case of Silica Enginitis... {duck}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 31 May 12, 10:08Post
One they get torn up, they will wreak havoc on any bearing surface. The Vulcan has a common air intake for each pair of engines, so someone didn't do a pre-run up inspection. They got lucky, complacency kills.

Image of the packs(they are about 4" X 9" and can be reactivated by putting them in an oven):

Sud-Chemie Catalog
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
paul mcallister 01 Jun 12, 19:38Post
As others have mentioned,it was very lucky the aircraft did not manage to take off.

Had the engines failed during climb out,or later in the flight,it`s almost certain the aircraft and her crew would have been lost,not to mention the possiblility of casualties on the ground.

The groundcrew and flightcrew I would assume are both responsible for making sure all the correct pre-flight checks have been carried out properly,and if in doubt go and check themselves.

It sickens me that yet again basic human error could so easily have resulted in the loss of iconic aircraft.

All concerned need a good boot up the arse!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 01 Jun 12, 19:57Post
I just hope the CAA are understanding. IIRC, they weren't too thrilled about this thing being operated by civilian volunteers in the first place, and they took a lot of persuading.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
AndesSMF (Founding Member) 01 Jun 12, 20:08Post
paul mcallister wrote:As others have mentioned,it was very lucky the aircraft did not manage to take off.

It was ready for takeoff when the engines failed? {crazy}

Yeah, that could have easily been a disaster.
Einstein said two things were infinite; the universe, and stupidity. He wasn't sure about the first, but he was certain about the second.