You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Trip Reports

LAX-DEN: NAS 10th Anniversary PT2

Share your latest flight experience or aviation-related poetry with us.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Nov 19, 01:14Post
Continued from:
DEN-LAX: NAS 10th Anniversary PT1

PREFLIGHT - 03 NOV 2019

All good things must come to an end and too soon it was time to go back home. The shuttle to the airport wasn't running this morning as there wasn't anyone to drive it. This happens a lot, apparently, because the hotel has an account with Lyft. Upon checking in the other night, I advised them I planned to leave at 0600. The Lyft driver was there a few minutes after 6, and myself and an LAX-based AA Captain (fmr America West) were taken to the airport. The ride share debacle at LAX was most definitely a topic of discussion.

Once in the Terminal, I found a kiosk and printed a paper boarding pass, secured all my pocket items, and threw myself into the TSA maelstrom. TSA PreCheck for the win, again. Best money I ever spent.

RETURN LEG - 03 NOV 2019
IMG_7610.JPG
IMG_7610.JPG (77.51 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

Today's Aircraft (Airbus A320-232):
N435UA.JPG
N435UA.JPG (225.04 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

Today's Route (ORCKA3 LAS J146 BETHL J146 DVC WOLLF CREDE3):
UA-2293-map.jpg
UA-2293-map.jpg (203.32 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

Boarding for this flight also went smoothly. I was offered, and accepted, a pre-departure drink (Coke) and my breakfast order was taken. Interestingly, United had given me the option of selecting my meal a few days in advance, of which I took advantage. However, the Flight Attendant asked me, and everyone else, what they would like. Not an issue, really, but a rather curious one. Was it an inventory planning thing, did the information somehow get lost? I wasn't offered the chance to pre-order my meal for the DEN-LAX leg. At any rate, I selected the croissant and egg sandwich type thing.

This leg was full, just like my previous flight. Still, we pushed early and soon we were lining up on 25 Right. Quickly, the sound of the engines spooling up (click, click!) could be heard and I was experiencing my first non-simulated Airbus departure. The sim was more fun. ;)

Departure took us out of the water for a bit before turning back towards land. There was no DirecTV aboard, so no moving map. I was hoping our route would take us near the Grand Canyon as I was on the correct side of the aircraft this time. No such luck, but I did see the Hoover Dam. I didn't take a dam picture. :))

The next landmark I would recognize would be Pikes Peak. As is typical for flying over the Rockies, we were warned of turbulence once we got lower. It never did get really bad but the Flight Attendants were ordered back to their seats, cutting the arrival cleanup festivities short. Almost immediately after passing the Front Range, the bumps stopped. We came in over Castle Rock before making a gradual turn north to join the arrival flow for Runway 35 Left.

There must not have been anyone behind us as we rolled out practically to the end. Quickly we were at the gate (B27) early and I was back home - almost. No checked luggage this time either, so it was straight to the Parking Shuttle. Every time I've flown into DEN I've had to wait for the shuttle (max 10 minutes). Today, it was waiting for me. So nice. 8)

FINAL THOUGHTS
I had a really nice experience with United this time. No broken guitars (didn't have one), no broken hearts (long story), and most importantly, no serious mishaps, delays, etc. When I found out one of the flights would be operated with Airbus equipment (both legs were 738 at time of booking), I was excited not only to get my first Airbus ride in the books, but to also compare the cabins. Since I was in First, it was kind of difficult to do that, although I noticed the windows on the 737 were noticeably larger. Interiors of both aircraft were clean, though both were showing signs of aging.

I wonder what they are going to do with those seats... {shy}
Make Orwell fiction again.
symphonicpoet 12 Nov 19, 06:00Post
Glad you had a good journey. :) My first Airbus was a China Eastern example a few years back, and I recall it being comfortable, clean, and about par for economy seating. Oddly, I haven't ridden too awfully many 73s. Quite a lot more MDs, really. But I guess that will change now. :( Anyway, neat description. One of these days I'll get a taste of that first class cabin. ;-) (Taking my first business hop in a few months. For a LONG flight, even: Toyko to Detroit. Almost thought I'd lucked into 1st for Atlanta to London, but my better half may have talked me down on that.) Anyway . . . many happy returns to the air!