You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Trip Reports

New Sub-Type Next Week

Share your latest flight experience or aviation-related poetry with us.

halls120 (Plank Owner) 25 May 19, 14:52Post
My first A346 flight takes place in one week. :)) :)) :))

And I realize I haven't posted many trip reports lately. Will try and fill in the gaps during my upcoming trip to Tirana.
At home in the PNW and loving it
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 May 19, 15:40Post
Nice one. I wanted to catch Iberia's while it was still on LHR-MAD but ran out of time.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Mark 26 May 19, 16:57Post
halls120 wrote:My first A346 flight takes place in one week. :)) :)) :))

A friend's son flew on one on his way to Spain as a foreign exchange student. He said it was crowded and felt "tight."
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 26 May 19, 19:04Post
Mark wrote:A friend's son flew on one on his way to Spain as a foreign exchange student. He said it was crowded and felt "tight."

Iberia in economy, or Lufthansa in business class? {duck}
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 30 May 19, 19:37Post
I always liked flying on the A346, but it’s a while since I last flew on one.

Worked my way through SAA’s whole fleet of ‘em during my period of regular trips to South Africa. Also flew the Virgin ones plenty of times and a fair few times courtesy of Etihad and Qatar and to a lesser extent Iberia and Lufthansa
halls120 (Plank Owner) 15 Jun 19, 16:14Post
Well, we just got back from a trip to the States, flying Lufthansa A346 both ways in business What an eye opener.

Started off in the Lufthana Senator lounge, which used to be my benchmark for excellent lounges. Sorry Lufthansa, TK at the new IST blows everyone else away. Even SG. But our A346 was quiet, comfortable, and had the usual offerings. Which is nice, they haven't gone on a cost-cutting binge like other airlines.

Boarded our flight, and first of all, the frames we flew on were the cleanest aircraft I've ever encountered. Period. Great entertainment offerings, but it was weird not being able to use my own headphones. That said, they use Bose headsets hardwired into the seats, so it was fine. Very comfortable seats, although I could see how 6 footers on up might be cramped.

But the service......

FA responsible for our section of the cabin stopped by to introduce herself on both flights. Purser followed. PDBs delivered quickly. When the FA came by to ask for our menu choices, no "what is your second choice if we don't have your first choice" nonsense. Are you listening United? The food was OK - not as good as OS, but much better than Polaris, which has gone downhill in the last year. Service was unobtrusive and efficient, and appreciated. Before we landed, FA stopped by to ask us if we were pleased with our flight. Landed, got our luggage, and off on our adventure.

A week later, we were back at the DTW Senator lounge, and it made all other outstation lounges look shabby in comparison. A wide range of food and drink, and the usual comfortable seating. Boarded the aircraft - again spotless - and the crew followed the same routine. Say what you will about Lufthansa's domestic service, but their international front cabin experience is exceptional.

Over the last several months, I've flown Lufthansa UA, TK, LH and TK in business. FWIW, here is how I rank the on board experience:

Senator
KLM
BA
TK
UA

Lounges:

TK
Senator
BA
UA
KL

Had I done this comparison just after United had launched Polaris, they would have fared better, but their penny pinching CEO has ruined their front cabin, and these days, I'm a free agent.
At home in the PNW and loving it
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 16 Jun 19, 14:04Post
Having flown Iberia's A346s numerous times, they were OK, they had the 2 X 2 X 2 interior in J. The seats were OK, but you had to be a gymnast to get out of the window seat and the aisle pax was laid out flat.

Performance-wise, it beat out the hair dryer equipped A343 by a mile. The downside, the shop visit for those Trents is $11M each...
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
tangoscar 16 Jun 19, 22:36Post
miamiair wrote:The downside, the shop visit for those Trents is $11M each...

Do you know in detail what makes the SV so pricey? What's the expected run time between shop visits? Since the A346 should average a flight hour-cycle ratio somewhere around 9:1, I could imagine that it isn't the LLPs driving the cost that high ...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Jun 19, 20:26Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Nice one. I wanted to catch Iberia's while it was still on LHR-MAD but ran out of time.

Watched a live-stream from LHR at the weekend and saw one sneak in. Just checked, still scheduled, still bookable. I'd read that they were pulled off the route last October; apparently not.

So now I'd better grab one while I still can...
Mark 22 Jun 19, 16:40Post
I'll be flying in a B739 for the first time for the NAS meet in November. Ya! A 737!
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 22 Jun 19, 17:53Post
Due to fly my first Bombardibus C220 or whatever it’s now called tomorrow :)
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Jun 19, 19:24Post
cornish wrote:Due to fly my first Bombardibus C220 or whatever it’s now called tomorrow :)

If its MSN is 550034 or lower it's a C-Series, unless it's Delta who have re-certified their early C-Series as A220. Swiss will re-certify their C-Series but that wont happen until this November at the earliest, so you could fly a C-Series that will be a totally different aircraft type by the end of the year.

Anything MSN 550035 or higher is an A220.

Hope that clears it up {boggled}
A million great ideas...
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 22 Jun 19, 20:16Post
JLAmber wrote:
cornish wrote:Due to fly my first Bombardibus C220 or whatever it’s now called tomorrow :)

If its MSN is 550034 or lower it's a C-Series, unless it's Delta who have re-certified their early C-Series as A220. Swiss will re-certify their C-Series but that wont happen until this November at the earliest, so you could fly a C-Series that will be a totally different aircraft type by the end of the year.

Anything MSN 550035 or higher is an A220.

Hope that clears it up {boggled}

Totally. It’s Swiss. So it’ll be a C-Srs I assume
TNCB 27 Jun 19, 22:06Post
This will help: https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Swiss
HB-JCP and higher are A220's, -JCA to -JCO are C-Series.