You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Trip Reports

SFO-LAX-ITO-LAX-SAN-SFO in 24 hours

Share your latest flight experience or aviation-related poetry with us.

PA110 (Founding Member) 16 Oct 18, 23:08Post
My latest non-rev adventure with my brother (United Airlines 737 First Officer) playing personal chauffeur took me to Hilo for 24 hours.

THU 11OCT: UA2127 SFO-LAX 1200 1342 B737-800
I was cleared off the standby list just as boarding commenced, and was given window seat 31A down the back with an entire row to myself. United is seriously padding their schedules, because we took off 35 mins late, but still landed on time. Inflight service - minimal.

I spent the next several hours at the new United Club at LAX. United has done an outstanding job with the new club. It's bright, attractive and modern. It's a huge lounge with plenty of seating.

My brother was coming in from Denver on the same aircraft he would be flying to Hilo. I met him at the gate and we went to the pilot's room so he could pull up the flight plan. He had about an hour before departure. My chances of making it on the flight were 50/50. There technically were seats available, but dispatch chose to weight-restrict the flight. There were only 2 non-revs, of which I was one. Luckily, the captain requested additional fuel, and there were a couple of no-shows, so I got on.

THU 11OCT: UA1004 LAX-ITO 1710 1946 B737-800
The gate agent knew I was the brother of the first officer, so I got royal treatment (for Economy). Exit row 21D with an empty seat next to me. We took a 35 minute delay when the FMS crapped out and had to be rebooted. My brother had to file the flight plan manually, because the dispatch download wouldn't stick. Then his harness got stuck and they almost had to call maintenance. One good tug got it working again. We were off! The crew were super and kept asking me if I wanted anything to eat or drink. I told them I just wanted water. I had brought protein bars with me because UA's buy-on board selections are somewhat limited.

We were originally assigned a southern route via Lat/Lon points, but ended up following R578 from FICKEY to FITES, then a non-precision approach for runway 8, which requires a fairly tight 180 turn over Hilo Bay on to a very short final. Forecast was for broken clouds and clear skies, but by the time we reached Hilo, the ceiling was 1000' with intermittent rain. Winds however were calm, so my brother requested and received a straight-in approach to runway 26.

Transport was waiting to take the cockpit crew to the hotel for the layover, while the flight attendants did a turn and went back with the aircraft.

We hit the hotel bar and their signature "Hilo Mai Tai" cocktails were delicious. We had an assortment of pupus (ahi poke, pot-stickers and crispy calamari).

The next morning after breakfast, we headed back to the airport to pick up a rental car. Since my brother played chauffeur en route, I played tour guide on the Big Island. We picked up a Jeep and headed up the east coast to the Waipi'o Valley. We descended the steep trail and made our way out to the black sand beach. We then climbed back up the trail to the overlook and headed into Honoka'a to have a look around. We met some interesting locals who directed us to Tex's Diner for the best malasadas on the island.

We then drove back down Mamalahoa Highway to Akaka Falls State Park for a short hike to the falls, through the tropical trails. We then stopped in the funky little town of Honomu to check out the shops and cafes.

Back into Hilo for an early supper at my favorite local spot, Tina's Garden Cafe for outstanding Thai-Hawaiian fusion cuisine. Then back to the hotel to check-out and head back to the airport.

FRI 12OCT: UA1706 ITO-LAX 2101 0502 B737-800
We got back to the airport and my brother went on board to start his checks. I had to wait for clearance, but I knew I would get on. There were 40+ seats available. This time I got Exit Row 21 all to myself.
Departure was runway 8, straight out and our flight path was R578 from EBBER to ELKEY then vector for arrival to LAX, landing 25R.

At the time we left Hilo, I was #3 for 16 available seats LAX-SFO. By the time we landed, I was now #16 for 3 seats. All LAX-SFO nonstops were looking grim, and getting worse as the day wore on. My brother was done with his duty day and was commuting back to San Diego. I was able to get on with him up front.

SAT 13OCT: UA5198 LAX-SAN 0814 0917 E175
Seats 4 C/D. The flight closed early and we took off ahead of schedule. I think the crew were in a hurry, because we landed 20 minutes early. I was able to grab an immediate connection to SFO. I listed myself while we were in the air.

SAT 13OCT: UA334 SAN-SFO 0926 1115 B737-800
By the time I had landed from LAX, I saw on the UA app that I had already been cleared off the standby list. I simply got myself from gate 44 to gate 43 and jumped straight on board. I ended up sitting with three commuting F/As headed for SFO to work the Paris flight.

All in all, an outstanding 24 hour adventure.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Oct 18, 01:26Post
Excellent tale . . . . .

Honomu and Akaka Falls are two of my Favorite places on the Big Island. South Point ranks in there as well . . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 20 Oct 18, 01:10Post
PA110 wrote:I met him at the gate and we went to the pilot's room so he could pull up the flight plan. He had about an hour before departure. My chances of making it on the flight were 50/50. There technically were seats available, but dispatch chose to weight-restrict the flight. There were only 2 non-revs, of which I was one. Luckily, the captain requested additional fuel, and there were a couple of no-shows, so I got on.

Hmmm...out of LAX I can't remember weight restricting an aircraft headed to Hilo. Neither takeoff or landing weight should be an issue. Adding fuel certainly wouldn't help a weight restricted flight. Only leave more pax or cargo behind. Sometimes an automated alert is sent out if the aircraft is within a certain amount of max takeoff or landing weight. I've seen those before and called the load planner to see what's up. Normally they can resolve the issue by inputting the current bag and people count versus what the computer is conservatively suggesting the numbers will be.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Oct 18, 04:43Post
Very interesting non-rev! And nice to have family running the show, so to speak.

I've never been to Hawaii. I need to at some point.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Oct 18, 10:07Post
Lucas wrote:Very interesting non-rev! And nice to have family running the show, so to speak.

I've never been to Hawaii. I need to at some point.

Emphasis mine:

Yes you do. And I have to take MrsANCFlyer as well, before I get chastised again for having not made that excursion with here, despite the Amtrak rides, the Cruise Ships, the Orlando trips, et al. Right PA110! LOL
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!