You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Trip Reports

Dear LH...

Share your latest flight experience or aviation-related poetry with us.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 08 Aug 18, 00:45Post
... for over 4 years, you were on my personal no-fly list, because of reasons. 1 month ago, I decided it was finally time to give you another chance. Here is how that went.

First trip - HAM-FRA-ALA and back, in late June.

HAM-FRA, A321
Paid for a seat 27D - best seat in the back of the house, behind the exit row, but missing a seat in front of it = infinite legroom.
Other than that, nothing to report.

FRA-ALA, A333
Again, a good seat, 22G in the A333 V3. That's an aisle seat in the first row behind premium eco. There is no bulkhead in between premium eco and standard eco, not even a curtain, and row 22 has a lot more legroom than the seats in premium eco. Beats me why LH does it that way, but hey...

I had booked a premium meal for this flight. Tried it on a KL flight to IAH earlier this year, and those were the best €25 I ever spent on airline food. KL had served a small bottle of champagne, shrimp salad, Belgian truffle chocolate sweets for desert, and as a main course a spicy Korean beef wrap that was actually spicy, and the beef fillet had been cooked on the spot - no idea how you actually do that with the onboard convection oven, but KL did it.

LH, however, did not. Their fillet of beef had been thoroughly cooked to death, and was hard to cut, even with metal cutlery. The side salat was the same as with the standard meals. The dessert was okay, and overall the food was not terrible, but also nothing I'd pay money for again.

Also, with KL, the special meal also gave me special attention from the cabin crew - an experience that many travellers report. The already-friendly crew seemed excited that I had ordered it, asked me what I wanted to drink along with it, as the special meals are served before the regular meal service start, asked me afterwards how I liked it, and how I had found out about the offer.

With LH, an obviously unimpressed flight attendant showed up at my seat row and asked who had ordered the special meal. As I made myself known, he dropped the tray on my tray table and rushed off. I was left with the choice of either enjoying my dinner without anything to drink at all, or wait for the drinks cart and let the food grow cold.

By the time the drinks cart came by, I had finished my meal already. When the empty trays were collected, no one asked me how I liked it.

And that's LH in a nutshell for you. They give rats ass about their clients. Pay, board, sit down, shut up. Oh, you paid for an extra? Here it is. Now shut up again.

It's these small details that matter. Other than that, there was nothing to complain. The aircraft had LH's newest cabin, which actually is an improvement over the old one. I had lots of space, flight was on time, all okay.

Same for the leg back - had ordered (and gotten) the exact same seats, flights were on time. LH still flies out of ALA at 0400 in the morning. Horrible time. You have dinner by around 1900, then try to get 2-3 hours of sleep before heading to the airport. By the time the flight is in the air, most pax won't have eaten for 10 hours.

Still, LH serves no meal on that 7 hour flight. Not even a snack. Nothing. Only 1 hour before landing, they serve what passes as breakfast with LH. Choice is between a savoury omelette and a sweet pancake. After half the rows, they are out of omelette. Who would have thought that people who haven't eaten in then 15-16 hours prefer savoury over sweet...

I have sent LH so many messages over this. But hey... who cares what the customers think, right?

Anyway, so much about the ALA trip, and while the experience was not fantastic, it wasn't horrible either.

So I booked another trip with LH a month later. And got the horrible experience.

The theory:
HAM-FRA, A321
FRA-JFK, B748
EWR-MUC, A359
MUC-HAM, A320

The practice:
HAM-FRA, A321 - okay, that part worked. Paid for an exit row seat, got infinite legroom. Flight left 15 minutes late, but that's no biggie, we'd still touch down in FRA in time. And we better would be, as I only had a 65 minute layover, and had to pass passport control and TSA pre-check at FRA. No idea why LH sells these tight connections (I booked straight through their website), but they did - the HAM-FRA flight an hour earlier was not offered to me.

Touching down bang on time we did. But then we sat on the apron forever, as our gate wasn't free. Took FRA half an hour to assign a new one, which was A01. My departure gate was Z54. By the time I was off the plane, I had 25 minutes left, and my flight to JFK was already boarding.

Still made it, though, as A01 and Z54 are, surprisingly enough, almost next to each other. Passport control was empty, and TSA pre-check was the quickest I ever had:
TSA: "Sir, you're late, your flight is already boarding!"
Me: "I know, my inbound was late."
TSA: "Okay, let's cut this short then. How long will you stay in the US?"
Me: "10 days."
TSA: "You got ESTA?"
Me: "Yup."
TSA: "Have a nice flight, sir!"

If only things could always be that easy.

A short sprint later, I was at the gate, and among the last passengers to board the flight to JFK.

That was indeed operated by a 747-8i. Yay, new sub-type for me!

And boy, was that a disppaointment. LH got the new cabin, but with old IFE. These stone old "touch" screens that aren't bigger than my smartphone screen, but have a much lower resolution, and won't respond to any touch unless you hammer on them with a fist.

Add LH's dreaded sardine-can layout, and you have a claustrophobic experience. When the pax in front of me reclined their seatback, the IFE screen is about 15cm from my face. How any person above 175cm can fit into these seats is a miracle to me. I stand 174cm "tall", and I was miserable.

Shame that the Queen of the Skies doesn't get a better treatment from LH.

The flight itself was okay. We left the gate over 30 minutes late due to delayed baggage - which was good news to me, as that gave FRA plenty of time to get my bag on board. The app also informed me that my bag had been "accepted" for the flight, so all was well, right?

Wrong.

We arrived at JFK on time, but then had to wait forever on the apron, as our gate wasn't free. Where had I heard that before? By the time it was free, all hell broke loose. NY had a severe weather warning on place, and they sure meant it. It started raining heavily, with lightning bolts going down left and right. After waiting for another 30 minutes, we had to get towed into the gate.

Anyway, we made it! I was finally in New York City.

Alas, my bag was not.

We had been informed that it would take a while for our bags to show up, as the rampers couldn't start unloading the plane before the thunderstorm had passed. Fair enough. So after waiting for some 45 minutes, the belt finally started moving, and bag after bag appeared.

Until, after some 10 minutes, no more bags appeared, but a lot of people were still at the carousel. An airport employee asked us what flight we had been on. LH404? All bags from that one have been delivered, go see that LH employee at the back of the hall.

And there he was. Standing a good way away from the carousel, with a large sign in his hands, showing the names of some 25 pax whom LH already knew would be missing their bags.

How much does an airline have to hate their passengers if they leave them standing at the carousel for an entire hour, waiting for a bag that LH already knows will never come?

And why on earth were 25 pax missing their bags, when boarding in FRA had been completed in time, but we then waited 30 minutes on the ground for the last bags to be delivered?

Anyway, I couldn't do anything else than grind my teeth, fill out a lost bag report, receive my amenities kit (some toiletries and an XXL t-shirt) and be on my way.

I always have a set of fresh underwear in my carry-on, so I'd survive the next morning. And latest in the afternoon, my bag would be there, right?

Wrong. Again.

My bag did arrive with LH400 at 1340 local time. LH had told me that they will need 2-4 hours for customs clearance and delivery. So it should arrive at my place before 1800 latest. I found all that out by calling LH several times, as nobody had been calling me.

By 1630, I started to get a little nervous. The agent at the LH USA hotline gave me the telephone number of the courier service that would bring my bag. That courier service was the only helpful entity in this drama. Even though I could tell they had their hands full, they went ABCD to help me, even called me proactively, several times.

Only they couldn't help me, as they still had not received the bag from LH. LH's hotline disputed that, but I believed the courier service more. I even tried LH's German hotline, but that's an exercise in futility these days - there are literally hundreds of complaints on social media that no one will answer these calls, even after 2 hours of being exposed to their horrible elevator music. I gave up after 1 hour.

So I tried the US hotline again. "Sir, I can see you have called about this before", said a guy with a thick Indian accent, that made me doubt his name was really Mike.

Of course I had been calling before. I was still missing my bloody bag! "Sir, you have to be more patient and understanding", Mike lectured me. "We have a lot of lost bags at the moment. We cannot deliver them all straight away. Especially on a weekend. It is difficult to find a courier then."

Dafuq do I have to understand?? That these clowns can't get their bloody job done? I rarely raise my voice against hotline people, as they usually didn't cause the problem. But in this case, I think I made myself quite clear that Mike and me would probably not become best friends that night. OTOH, his attitude fits LH quite nicely. Who cares if the paying customer is still in the clothes he was flying in, 24 hours after arrival? It's LH that needs understanding, not the pax.

At 2300, the courier service called me and confirmed that they had finally received the bag from LH. An e-mail from LH confirming the same came 5 minutes later, proving that I was right to trust the courier service more than LH's US hotline.

They even gave me the driver's phone no., as I wasn't home by that time, so that I could make sure he dropped the bag with the right doorman. There really is not a single bad thing I can say about Queens Conveyance LLC. Shame they don't operate TATL flights.

Anyway - my bag and me were finally reunited the next morning. I had already been shopping by that time, and just sent LH the bill before writing this TR. Let's see if they will cover it.

I spent another wonderful day in NYC - what a great city! Never had been there before, but truly fell in love with it.

On Monday, I flew from JFK to BUF, to join a corporate meeting at my new company's hq. I chose DL for that leg, and despite having to endure 75 minutes on a CR9, it still was a great experience. DL have a thing called curbside check-in at JFK. Uber drops you off, and a friendly DL agent literally takes your bag out of the trunk and checks it in for you right there on the spot.

Service on board was also great, the flight attendant seemed to have a great day and showered us with snacks and funny comments. It was the only time during this trip that I really felt welcome onboard an aircraft.

Nope, didn't do so on the flight back to LGA either. It got cancelled, as NYC was once again experiencing heavy weather. Don't wanna fly a CR9 when going through a nice front of downburst goodness, so I don't blame them. They had no more flights to NYC that day, so they offered us either a flight via DTW the next morning (yeah... no), or a 50% refund on the entire ticket's costs (including fees and taxes). Which I found quite generous, as technically, they wouldn't have had to refund anything. My business partner having gold status with them certainly helped, but still, a nice move.

We had almost expected the flight to get canxed, so we were prepared - a rental car and a nice 7 hour drive it was. Straight through the weather that had led to our flight getting cancelled. Joy. But we made it. Going by what we saw whenever the weather cleared up a little bit, upstate NY and Pennsylvania are rather nice. I also liked Buffalo a lot, btw.

Back in NYC, I had 2 more days for sightseeing and party goodness, before my flight back home to Germany. At least I would get to fly the A359, that might make up for some of the disappointment on the inbound leg, right?

Wrong.

So I got that e-mail from LH, informing me that me reserved (and paid-for) premium seat on the EWR-MUC leg wasn't available anymore, because of an equipment change.

Checked the app. A346. Oh do f*ck off, LH!

A quick check on FR24's flight history reveals that this was the only day in some 2 months that LH413 was not operated by an A359.

But at least, LH was very proactive this time. Without me even asking, their website informed me that the reservation fee for my premium seat was not refundable, as my entire ticket was not refundable, either.

So LH is capable of thinking ahead, reading customers' minds and being proactive. At least as long as it's about protecting their bottom line.

And it got even better. A few hours later, another e-mail arrives. My booked (and paid-for) premium seat (exit row this time) on the MUC-HAM leg wasn't available anymore, either.

Again, due to an equipment change.

Equipment before: A320
Equipment after: A320

And yes, it gets still better! Jumping ahead in the narration a little, when I boarded that flight, it turns out they had given my seat to an 8 year old girl. Who, as the f/a was quick to explain to her and her parents, was not even allowed to sit in an exit row, so they had to swap seats with other pax. Not me, obviously.

I hate LH, and they hate me right back.

But back to the sequence of things - EWR-MUC was delayed by an hour, due to a late inbound. Flight itself was okay. The A346 still had the old cabin, that's even more claustrophobic than the new one on the 748, as the seats are bulkier. Legroom was miserable. But to my surprise, that cabin had the new, tablet-like IFEs. The only thing I could not complain about on this flight.

The food, however...

Chicken or pasta was the choice. I went for pasta. I don't trust airline chicken, pasta is the safer option, right?

Wrong!

I spent a good portion of the second half of the flight admiring the downstairs lavatories in all their glory. I just barely avoided throwing up. Now, in all fairness, I don't know if it really was the pasta. I had been at a party in Jersey City before the flight, and had plenty of food there. But everybody else at the party had it as well, and nobody got sick.

The state of the lavs did not exactly improve my well-being either. They looked (and smelled) downright filthy. EK f/as clean the lavs every 2 hours during a flight. Just saying. But hey, why would you clean the lavs if you hate your pax anyway...

We arrived at MUC with 20 minutes of delay remaining. That made my connection yet another challenge, as my layover was a whooping 45 minutes this time. Still made it, despite having to make another stop at the lavs between the gates.

So I completed the leg on the A320, admiring how LH gave the seat I had paid for to a little girl, and then to another pax, as little girls aren't even allowed to sit in exit rows.

I had hoped my bag would have been left behind in MUC, as then LH could have hauled my overweight bag full of dirty laundry to my doorstep. But no, they didn't even grant me that small favour. After surprisingly little waiting time (okay, another extensive toilet break gave HAM's ground handlers enough time to offload the aircraft), my bag was one of the first ones to arrive on the carousel.

So I had to drag it all the way to the taxi stand. And in the taxi on the way home, I had time to think if I would fly LH again.

I still haven't decided.

{rotfl}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 08 Aug 18, 01:48Post
Ouch. An experience like that would just about motivate me to become the sole shareholder of the company just so that I could liquidate all of it's assets.

Seriously though, I've has similar, but much more mild, experiences with Delta. Inflight service and quality was just fine, but on the ground? Sucks more than a modern turbofan and take-off power.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 08 Aug 18, 06:57Post
You flew flight 404 and were surprised to get a Baggage Not Found error? {rotfl}

But wow. Just... wow. That goes above and beyond. Bumping you out of an exit row and putting a little girl in it just takes the cake; they did that twice?!

I must show this to my boss next time he accuses me of avoiding LH because oneworld involves an A350 HEL-LHR. I avoid LH because they're LH; everything else is a bonus.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Aug 18, 09:14Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:You flew flight 404 and were surprised to get a Baggage Not Found error? {rotfl}

{silly} That's funny right there.

I'd just shred anything I owned that said LH on it and be done after that experience.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 08 Aug 18, 11:46Post
Basement floor shitters? Must have a wonderful bouquet. {crazy}
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 08 Aug 18, 12:10Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:But wow. Just... wow. That goes above and beyond. Bumping you out of an exit row and putting a little girl in it just takes the cake; they did that twice?!

Nah, just once, I jumped back and forth in the narration a little.

On EWR-MUC, I sort of understand why they had to move me. I had again booked a seat in the first row behind premium eco. The A359, as the A333s I flew on FRA-ALA-FRA, don't have a bulkhead or divider between premium and standard eco, so the first standard eco row has huge legroom.

On Seatguru, a lot of premium eco pax complain why the row behind them has much more legroom than their premium eco seat, at half the price. That's why I wouldn't ever book premium eco with LH. Assuming I'd fly LH again anytime soon.

On the A346, there is a bulkhead between premium and standard eco, so there was no equivalent to my seat on the A359. I was almost happy they moved me into an aisle seat further back in the cabin, instead of putting me in the bulkhead row, which is miserable on the A346.

What I don't understand is why they won't refund the seat reservation fee. Had they done that, I wouldn't have complained. Equipment change, shit happens. But to put up a big red-framed notice on their website, proactively informing me that I won't get my money back before I had even asked is as close as you can get to giving your customer the finger.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 08 Aug 18, 12:27Post
Oh, btw, I filed a separate complaint regarding their refusal to refund my seat reservation fee. Will be interesting to see where that will go. My guess is, it will take them 4 weeks to reply with a computer generated message, telling me how sorry they are that I was not happy with their service, that they forwarded my message to the right people so that it won't happen again, and that they hope to see me back on board soon again.

For the shopping bills because of my lost bag, I actually expect to see some money, as they seem to have a policy in place for that.

Btw, browsing through the posts to LH's Facebook page, it seems I was lucky with my 2 days waiting time:

We NEED to know ASAP where is our 10 baggage of 10 passenger which is now 8 DAY DELAYED and we were informed only “TRACING CONTINUE AND DO NOT KNOW THE CURRENT POSITION”

Our group who fly with the flight LH199 from BERLIN to FRANKFURT and LH772 from FRANKFURT to BANGKOK on 30 July 2018, Business Class and Economy Class, did not get the baggage for now 8days and there is no clues about our belongings.

There’s 10 passenger 10 loaded baggages which position disappear right now. We doubt in the security and the professional operation of LUFTHANSA.

Also the LH officer who did not pro active to help us find more information about the procedure or process to do next after our baggage were delayed. We disappointed and of course we lost our trust to your Airline.

We don’t think that this delayed 10cases on the same flight is the normal situation. YOU HAVE TO FIND THE LATEST POSITION and RETURN our 10 baggages ASAP. Please inform us what is your operation procedure to trace our 10 delayed baggage.

However, We’ve tried to contact LH for all the channel, LH Feedback, Customer Service, World Wide Customer Service, E-mail to Central Baggage Tracing ie.

Of course, no one contact us back. Please do explain, why?

If you want to loose your luggage just flight with Lufthansa. They work good. Mine is lost since day August 6. Germans always work perfectly. Very organized they say.

Hello there,one week ago my luggage was lost on my way to Berlin (after a lot of delay of the flight). That was a big problem since I had to go to a festival with almost nothing. I'm leaving later today back to Amsterdam and my bag is still not delivered. For the last three days the system says the delevery process is initiated (to an adress in Berlin) and since then I didn't hear anything. I can't reach the Luftansa luggage team and the baggage delivery express by phone,so now what?? This is taking so much time. I'm really mad and sad about this. Can you tell me more about when and where my luggage will be delivered??

My life is in your hands. Lost luggage line opened at 0800. I called at 0802 and have been waiting for 1h 7min now!!! wtf?

And that's only the English posts from the last 2-3 hours.

I also read several (at least 4) independent complaints that LH ground staff simply abandoned unaccompanied minors at the departure airport when their flights to MUC or FRA were cancelled. "Sorry, little girl, your flight was cancelled, and I'm off duty now. Good luck!"

Add the dozens (if not hundreds) of complaints that LH's hotline is unreachable 24/7, and you get the image of a failing airline that has no respect for its customers.
airtrainer 10 Aug 18, 19:26Post
So we have that thing in common : you hate your flag carrier as much as I hate mine {laugh}
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 10 Aug 18, 20:23Post
What did AF do to you? Other than flying you around in dirty aircraft, of course... :))

I flew AF only once, to MIA, many moons ago, and the flights were fantastic. CDG was a different story, though. The TR is still out there. {boxed}
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 10 Aug 18, 20:45Post
Zak wrote:The TR is still out there. {boxed}

And 8 years later, you still haven't added the pics :))

As for CDG, I went through it once. Never again if I can help it! It was such a mess that there was no time to visit the Air Scotland lounge:

{duck}
airtrainer 12 Aug 18, 17:00Post
Zak wrote:What did AF do to you? Other than flying you around in dirty aircraft, of course... :))

Flew on one of their crew training flights on the CDG-LHR with the A380. On the way back a system failure at LHR made us board late with hand-written boarding passes. Not their fault, but when arrived in CDG they announced that all the bags were lost, not knowing if they were still in LHR or somewhere in CDG. Took them a while to find the bags.

---------------------------------------------------------------

A few years ago I was supposed to fly CGN-CDG-SIN. At the gate ready for boarding at CGN the flight was canceled, it was the last flight of the day at 8pm. The sent us to a hotel in... DUS, arrived to the hotel at 1am. Next morning at 7am I went to the desk at the airport to ask if they had other options to reach SIN as the only CDG-SIN flight was leaving at 11:30pm. They had some options, but refused to reroute us as everything had to be done in CDG. Took the morning flight to CDG, went to the transfer desk and politely asked if they could do anything, be it rerouting us or allowing us to the lounge to spend the 12+ hours we had ahead of us. Here are the answers I received with a big smile (no, I'm not even kidding):

-"Be glad you have a confirmed seat for tonight's flight as it's full."
-"No you can't have a lounge access, it's only for our business class passengers."
-"No, we don't provide food/drinks vouchers."
-"Try to visit Paris, it's a beautiful city you know."
-"Oh, and as soon you arrive in Singapore, you'll forget everything".

Of course, their online complaint form didn't work, and when I was finally able to reach them they refused any compensation.

At that time I said never again but when they did crew training with the 787 last year I still booked with them. Fair point, I booked the wrong flight and a nice guy on the phone agreed to change the booking for a minor fee. So I went to LYS to catch a flight to CDG, booked a premium seat for the occasion. The said 787 never came and they finally sent an A321 some 3 hours later. No premium seat and no compensation of course.

Yes, I then said never, never again, but my fellow travel partner Jochen booked us with them on YUL-CDG-DUS and I have to say the trip was good. We even arrived in CDG early and asked to take an earlier flight, we were flying on a non-flexible fare but they kindly accepted the change because of bad weather warning later in the day. Can't complain at all for this trip.

As for CDG, connecting there on that YUL-CDG-DUS was my only experience as it's rather a departure or arrival airport for me. Well, after 20 years of travel in various airports around the world I had to ask several times to find my way to terminal 2G as I was unable to find it {tired} . On a positive note, I absolutely love the architecture of the old terminal 1, seeing that place in some movies when I was a kid is probably one of the reasons I'm into aviation today...
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Aug 18, 01:23Post
So with LH and AF, you're paying for the privilege of MAYBE getting a better seat?

Yeah, no.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 13 Aug 18, 16:06Post
Oh, there is more.

If you fly LH a lot and have plenty of miles, you may want to use them to buy an upgrade for a flight.

However, to be able to do so, you need to buy a full-fare ticket. Discounted tix cannot be upgraded using miles.

Of course, buying a full-fare ticket doesn't mean you can definitely buy an upgrade with miles. LH will tell you 24 hours before departure if a miles upgrade is available or not.

Meaning there is a good chance you will have bought 1 Y tix for the price of 2 (or more), and still be stuck in LH's maximum-density Y misery.

That's what I mean when saying that LH has a special way to let their customers feel how much they hate them.

Many, many moons ago, I had a frequent flyer status with LH. Must have been around 2005 or 2006, IIRC. In the following year, I didn't fly as much (and even less LH).

Q: What would you do if you notice that a regular client doesn't give you any business anymore?

A1: You contact them, asking if you did anything wrong, and what would be required to see them returning.

A2: You send them a letter, lecturing them that their status is about to expire, and now you either have to pay them a fee to maintain it, or you will lose the status and have to start over from zero at the lowest tier, making it more difficult to regain the status.

Guess what answer LH opted for...

Btw, 1 week has passed since I filed my 2 complaints. No reply. Not even an automated "We're on it, please give us a few days to process this." Nothing.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Aug 18, 15:16Post
After following this on FB...I've been looking forward to this trip report.

It did not fail me. {rotfl}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 16 Aug 18, 17:18Post
Glad my rantage provided some entertainment value... :))

Of course, still nothing from LH's customer service, and I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Again some comments from LH's FB page from the last few hours:

We had a baggage damaged during our last trip on a Lufthansa flight. Almost four months without any reply from the customer relations team. Would it be possible to provide a status on or let me know how we can move forward please? Should I pass through the arbitration board?

Hello, I have no Idea, if anyone is working there, in Customer Relation, but I am still waiting for a response on a refund from my seat reservations fees. This is unbelievable. What kind of company is this? We are waiting since May to fix this.

Never again flying with Lufthansa! My boyfriend's flight to Milan was cancelled then the flight back delayed. They lost his bag. I sent the complaint on 20th June (!) - no feedback till today when I simply decided to call them. No money back for the hotel which was booked and because of cancellation lost, no reimbursement for 2 days spend at the airport waiting for any news! Simply shame on you Lufthansa - I thought you are a serious company!

Highlights by me.

So I guess unless I start to seriously kick some butts, I can expect a response on my claims some time in 2019.

Oh, and of course, there is an ever-steady flow of complaints like this one:
I flew LH690 yesterday. When boarding I confirmed with the desk that my 2 bags were loaded on to the plane, she confirmed yes... I arrived in Israel and they said my 2 bags were in fact never brought! I'm Star Alliance Gold, and I hoped for Priority tagging or at least for it to arrive at the final destination... It's now been 24 hours and I still have no update from local support.

Seems to be their SOP these days.

Edit: this gem just came in, it's too nice not to share it:
Last day of our holiday tomorrow - should I give up checking on the bag track app for an update- getting a bit boring - thanks for nothing - hope my insurance company have more joy dealing with you then we have. Terrible customer service

LH's reply:
Lufthansa wrote:My colleagues will keep searching for the missing baggage. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I don't know what's going on at LH's main hub FRA. But it's not good.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 Aug 18, 17:58Post
Luggage utterly f*cked to hell and no service anywhere.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Aug 18, 18:26Post
How can you even lose that many bags???
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 16 Aug 18, 19:11Post
To be fair, I don't know how bad it really is, compared to other airlines. Social media pages will always be dominated by people complaining about expectations that weren't met.

But it certainly does seem like things are bad in LH land right now. And the fact that their customer service openly admits being unable to deal with complaints in a timely fashion speaks volumes.

LH customer service doesn't shy back from telling people: "Please refrain from sending new messages that do not contain additional information, it will only further delay the process of dealing with the already high volume of customer complaints."

Also, if you browse through the complaints, there is a strong pattern:

After being a patient customer for almost 1 week, i now feel the need to share the worst customer experience ever with your airline. Not only did you cancel my flight last minute on Friday August 10th with no explanation given and no compensation offered, you also lost my baggage and your staff at Berlin airport refused to file a lost baggage claim.

I have been checking on the status of my claim for the past 5 days to be told yesterday by your service center staff that my luggage was found at Berlin airport and was now being customs cleared (really, for a transport within Germany ???) and I would soon be contacted by a transport company to provide details for the delivery. Checking again after 4h (as in the meantime no call received yet), another employee said exactly the same and that clearance was still ongoing.... another 4h later (we are 20.30h on Wednesday), yet another employee finally tells me clearance was done and they now will appoint the transportation company and as it was already late, I would hear from them the next day.

So when I called your service center again today, I was shocked to hear that yet another person tells me my bag is still not located. I informed her about the conversations I had yesterday with three of her colleagues to be told that she cannot find any reference of these calls in my file (which seems to be a requirement at the service center).

So.. not only did the staff on Wednesday not do their job properly (as no one had registered my call), they also all lied to me about the status of my bag. I did inform the person about the exact hours I had called and the time I had waited before being transferred so she could check what happened. I now was told to complete another lost baggage form specifying what was in my bag.

You can imagine that after the excitement yesterday that my bag was finally found, today was a total disappointment and I cannot believe that a well established company like Lufthansa treats their customers this way. As miles and more frequent traveller, I have always selected Lufthansa over any other airline even if I had to pay more. I have another trip coming up tomorrow and I already fear what might happen: flight delayed/cancelled and issues with luggage. Believe me, if I had an alternative way to get to my destination, I would.

By this writing, I want to share my story with others as I feel they need to know how you operate and how badly you treat your customers. And I also still have hopes that you do your utmost best to find my bag and that you are not going to ruin my next weekend trip.

An extremely upset and disappointed customer

You find this sort of complaints by the dozens, if you just browse through the posts from the last few hours at any given time. And many of them bear a strong resemblance to my story, and tell me that I was even lucky, compared to what others experience with LH these days.

In slight variation of Ed's acronym:

Luggage
Unlocatable,
Flights
Terminated,
Hotline
Absent,
No
Service
Anywhere
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Aug 18, 01:12Post
Yeah, to be honest, LH sounds like garbage. On WN, if you book early-bird checkin and the flight ends up canceled, they automatically refund that fee.

But LH charges you for a seat you don't get. Wow. {yuck}
PA110 (Founding Member) 17 Aug 18, 17:03Post
Wow, that's sad to read. I've always had "ok" experiences on LH, but then again they've always been in business class. Nothing special, but gets the job done.

What you're describing sounds more like by last experience on BA.

I'm so glad I don't have to fly for work anymore. The bean counters have sucked all the joy out of travel.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 17 Aug 18, 19:34Post
PA110 wrote:Wow, that's sad to read. I've always had "ok" experiences on LH, but then again they've always been in business class. Nothing special, but gets the job done.

Plenty of complaints on their Fb page come from passengers claiming to have flown them in J, or having gold status with them.

Gotta give LH that - they don't discriminate, they hate all passengers equally. :))

On a less tongue-in-cheek note - a few weeks ago, the Lufthansa board of directors offered a semi-public apology to passengers for an increasing amount of delays and flight cancellations. As a reason, they cited the difficult integration of AB routes, aircraft and crew.

I guess what we see here is a downward service spiral. The increasing number of problems lead to an amount of claims and complaints that their customer service (that has been slow at the best of times) cannot handle anymore.

What I don't get though is why they suddenly have such a problem with lost baggage. That cannot possibly have anything to do with the AB bankruptcy. Connecting via FRA used to be an almost-guarantee that your bags will make it. These days, it seems to be the complete opposite.
PA110 (Founding Member) 20 Aug 18, 12:26Post
FRA has always been a compete clusterfuck. I'll take MUC anytime. I just wish LH had more options via MUC. The terminal is well organized and efficient.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 28 Aug 18, 11:44Post
Still nothing from LH, of course.

But some brief investigation around the interwebs suggests that LH is indeed facing a boatload of problems.

Just recently, LH wrote an internal message to all employees, telling them that anybody, regardless of position and qualification, is encouraged to help out in the customer service department, to help tackling the enormous amount of claims and complaints they face at the moment.

However, virtually nobody raised their hand, as the situation in the service department appears to be a grade A clusterf*ck, with the sickness absence rate of regular service staff rising every day.

At several airports, most notably FRA and TXL, the amount of lost baggage has reached a level at which LH considers hiring external storage capacities. This seems to have reached a level of LHR's T5, shortly after its opening. LH and ground handling employees speak of "bag mountains".

And new complaints from passengers spending entire journeys without their bags come in almost every hour. I just read a case where a couple spent their entire honeymoon without their bags. Lovely.

Checking in bags with LH seems to have become a lottery, as has filing a claim with them. One guy reported that he had filed a compensation claim for a delayed and damaged bag. It took LH almost 3 months to respond, and they offered him a laughable amount in compensation. He simply filed the same claim again, and 4 weeks later got the full amount refunded.

Also, I have by now seen 5 different complaints of outraged parents who booked their kids as UAMs, only to find them on their own at the departure airport. Just last week, I read a report of an angry father whose 11 year old daughter had to go through the entire check-in and boarding process by herself, as no LH staff showed up at EWR.

In another case, an off-duty LH pilot who had just arrived at ARN took care of a young girl, as nobody else would after her flight to FRA had been cancelled.

Now, if you check other airlines' social media pages, you will find a sizeable amount of claims and complaints as well. But at LH, they all follow a certain pattern - something went wrong, then nobody was there to take care of the fallout, the hotline is completely unreachable at any given time of the day, and messages to customer service aren't answered even within several months.

At the same time, LH's share price reached a new high, as the stock market celebrates LH's successful cost cutting measures.

Bottom line: if you like LH, buy their shares, but don't buy a ticket.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Aug 18, 12:08Post
For those interested, posts to Lufthansa'a facebook page can be found here (they have removed the 'visitor's posts' button, I wonder why?): https://www.facebook.com/Lufthansa/posts_to_page/

The comments range from typical ZOMG! nonsense through to downright troubling incompetence via a lot of comedy gold.

The issue with UAM on LH came up in another discussion regarding a group of children left at MAN when their flight was cancelled and LH's staff just closed their desk and went home. Thankfully they were an organised group with adult supervision but they did end up taking in a UAM who would otherwise have been left overnight at the airport. It does make you wonder what other vital aspects of their operation LH are currently neglecting.
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 28 Aug 18, 13:37Post
At least, LH seems to acknowledge the situation:
Im täglichen Geschäft lief es in diesem Sommer bei der Lufthansa alles andere als gut. «Unsere Kunden erleben einen Sommer, der geprägt ist von Verspätungen und Flugausfällen, von Wartezeiten, von Ärgernissen», so Vorstandsvorsitzender Carsten Spohr am Montag (27. August) bei einer Veranstaltung in Frankfurt. «Derzeit ist das, was wir aus Kundensicht bieten, nicht fünf Sterne.»

Translation:
Lufthansa's daily operations are running far from smoothly this summer. "Our customers experience a summer that is dominated by delays and flight cancellations, by waiting times, by annoyances", said CEO Carsten Spohr during a meeting in Frankfurt on Monday, 27 August. "Right now, what we offer is not a 5-star product from a customer point of view."

Source (German): https://www.aerotelegraph.com/carsten-s ... uen-sterne

Not even a 2-star product, if you ask me.