You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Trip Reports

ORD-SEA-YVR-LAX-ORD 9/15 - 9/25 - LONG

Share your latest flight experience or aviation-related poetry with us.

ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Sep 17, 23:08Post
I'm gonna start this early, and edit as necessary.

My Wife's birthday, our Anniversary trip including planes, trains and cruise ship.

First stop: ORD

KID IN A CANDY SHOP: ANCFlyer at the Hilton, 10th Floor, view of T1, T2, an inch of T3 and everything beyond. I'm taking pics, will get them transferred later.

Took the hotel at ORD for first, the obvious reason: Airplanes. Secondly, AS27 departs at 0600 for SEA. Can't see trying to negotiate Chicago traffic at 0330-0400 when we can walk for three minutes to T3 and be done.

I'll continue tomorrow.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Sep 17, 16:18Post
Seems the wise choice!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Sep 17, 22:33Post
Day 1:

Woke up at 0330 at the ORD Hilton Hotel. Had pre-packed, so shower and go was in order. Got to T3 in about 3 minutes. Check-in was absolutely seamless and very fast. Security was a cakewalk at 0445, TSA Pre-Check is still worth every dime. Gate H4, and a Cup of Coffee. AS B737-900(ER)N496AS on the stand. Boarding began promptly as advertised at 0520. Took our seats in 1A and 1C. Load was 100% in F, 80% in Y. This 739 did not have the retro-fit seats yet, but did have the retro larger overhead bins and 'mood' lighting. But nonetheless, quite comfortable. Push back on time. Waited a bit at the end of the chute between H & K, to get out, turn left onto B, right onto EE and Position/Hold on 28L. Long roll and we were off, gently turning west. First round of libations and entertainment arrived as soon as we cleared FL100. We watched MSN go by off the left wing and were at FL360 shortly. Seat belt sign stayed on for light to moderate chop over the remainder of Wisconsin. Got a bit more sporty for a bit, but soon ended and total cloud cover ensued - all the way to Western Washington. AS has upgraded it's formerly POS Digi-Player to Tablets. Much, much better. Breakfast a southwestern sausage and beans, scrambled eggs, salsa, sour cream and a large fruit plate. Sadly no bread. Decent started over the Cascade mountains, occasionally visible through the clouds and smoke from the fires. Got a crappy pic of Mt. Rainer in the distance. Couple of left turns and we're on final for 34C over downtown Seattle. Smooth touchdown. We did have to wait for a gate a bit as we were early. Deplaned on D2, headed to Baggage Claim (YES, I check my bags, I don't haul the kitchen sink onto the )*#)*H)N airplane) and as promised, bags were there within 15 minutes. Went out to our limo and were sitting at the hotel (Warwick) in downtown an hour after touch down.

I have taken many pics. They are on my phone. I attempted to send them to myself yesterday and I wound up with over 5000 e-mails in my in-box. I will check them again and attempt a one by one transmission. For now you can wait with baited breath for them ;)

In Seattle. First we went to the Space Needle and the Seattle Center. Weather might go down tomorrow, so better get there today. Then we cabbed over to Pioneer Square for the White Building and the Seattle Underground rodeo. Totally recommend Seattle Underground for real Seattle history.

We've been up for 14+ hours about now. So a little relax, then dinner at Margaux. Alaskan Seafood is on the menu . . . tomorrow is another adventure.

I'll work those damn pictures . . . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Sep 17, 00:04Post
Here's a start:

ORD Tower

AS737 at ORD

AA787

Old Paint AA 737

ANCFlyer and MrsANCFlyer AS 27 ORD-SEA 1A/C

Breakfast

Underground Seattle Tour - Must Do

How they fixed Seattle

Remnants of 1880s Seattle

Space Needle - Seattle
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Sep 17, 22:29Post
Day 2:

Time Zones suck. I was awake at 0230 (PDT), because I'm always awake about 0400 (CDT) - do the math. Managed another two hours before I succumbed to the inevitable.

Got the room service coffee at 0600 because the in-room coffee isn't all that. Had a fairly pricey, but damned decent breakfast of fresh fruit (2 very large fruit plates), greek yogurt, orange juice and coffee. Filled us both up, so we skipped our breakfast outing to the Bitch Biscuit Company (where we'll go tomorrow morning to re-harden the arteries and pump up the blood pressure).

Out the door at 0800 to Pike Place Market. If you ever come to Seattle for more the 48 hours and you purposely skip the Pike Place Market, I feel sorry for you. Spent way too much money shipping fresh Alaskan seafood back to Chicago. You simply cannot get decent fresh seafood in Chicago. There will be Alaska King Crab (picture below), Halibut, Salmon and Scallops waiting when we get back. Under penalty of death, I asked my family there to just sign for "the package" and put it in the freezer. We walked the balance of Pike Place Market and opted - under threat of rain - for a ferry ride across Elliott Bay before it got ugly.

Here's another Seattle trick. Skip the harbor tours. They don't go "out" far enough, and all you see is a bunch of docks, etc. Instead, take the hour and a half round trip to Bainbridge Island. Here's another tip: Harbor Tour $80-100 a couple. Washington State Ferry to Bainbridge: $8.20 each, return/round trip. And they have a bar on board :) Lastly, there are great photo ops - especially of the entire skyline on the voyage back to Seattle (crappy photo below - MrsANCFlyer has a better one I'll post later).

And of course, my culinary mission being what it is in Seattle - eat as much seafood as possible - lunch was at Ivars on the Waterfront. Great service, great clam chowder, great clams and oysters. Suffering food (and beer) coma we lumbered down the rest of the waterfront.

For those that remember the trolley that used to run down there, it is gone, rails removed, turned into a bunny hugger heaven of a bike path - sadly.

We walked the length from the WSF Terminal to the Cruise Ship terminal, then back up to Pike Place. I tad bit more of libation was required after the little excursion, so we did exactly that.

Then, as forecast, the sky clouded over and the little drizzle of rain began. We decided to head back to the hotel, grab a nap and then haggle over where to have dinner in Seattle tonight. She's sleeping, I'm posting - it is often that way.

Tomorrow: Boeing Museum of Flight at BFI.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 17 Sep 17, 23:33Post
Wish I'd known that about the harbor tours, did one and got to see a bunch of docks, too, but had a little time in Puget Sound. Sounds like a great trip so far. {thumbsup}
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Sep 17, 00:06Post
Alaska King Crab

Pike Place Market

Infamous Pike Place Market Pig - it's the one on the right. :)

Space Needle from Elliott Bay

Crappy Waterfront Shot from the Bainbridge Ferry

Waterfront from the WSF Ship Tacoma
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Sep 17, 03:15Post
Caveat to the days report.

Here is MrsAncFlyer and I looking for a dinner spot. I spied a place, looked like a sports bar, about 100' from our hotel on the way back from the Waterfront today.

Hey, let's go watch the Packers game, there. OK she says.

Little did we know.

Dalia's Lounge is NOT a Sports Bar. It is a very upscale, eclectic, modern, spectacular restaurant. It's a 100' feet from our hotel. How the hell did I miss that in the past, been there 23 years.

Bread Salad, Roast Duck, Crab Cakes . . . . . at 4th Ave and Lenora in Seattle. Go there, bring your American Express card. Worth every damn bit of it.

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Sep 17, 04:30Post
That is some NICE looking food!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Sep 17, 00:37Post
Day 3:

Last day/night in Seattle. Off to Vancouver tomorrow.

Up and out for Breakfast at a place called the Biscuit Bitch. Fun place, and good food too. Easy walk from the hotel.

Then off to the Museum of Flight in Tukwila. Even MrsAncFlyer was looking forward to it (and enjoyed it). We spent the whole day there. Impossible not to. Walked through the Boeing 747 test bed (City of Everette) which is now stored. It has a long history. Also through SAM907 (Nixon's Air Force One), a Concorde (still wondered why even bothered with windows on that thing), UA 727-100, and Boeing third 777 test aircraft.

It was aircraft overload. Like a fat kid walking into a Candy Store. The folks at MoF do a great job. Each exhibit that you could enter has a volunteer there - usually former military, pilot (or both) - that are great to talk with. If you haven't been there, and you get to Seattle, must go.

Strangely, you can't get there from downtown without a car. No taxi would take us. No taxi coming back. It's 22 miles from our hotel in downtown Seattle.

Solution, Metro transit. MrsANCFlyer and I got on bus #124 and spent 35 minutes through down town, Pioneer Square, Chinatown, Greenwood and then didn't stop until we reached the museum. Kudos to King County Metro for a smooth and clean operation. Plenty of transportation going everywhere.

Back to our hotel at about 1600 and packed for our early departure to YVR tomorrow.

Dinner around the corner tonight at another restaurant we found - there are no shortages of great places to eat in SEA.

Today's photos follow.

EDIT: Got a text early evening from Steve (Hetzel) who comes to SEA from DEN on business every couple of weeks. We met up, had some libations and talked story. Haven't seen him in 10 years. That was pretty cool. Does this count as a netAirspace meet? ;)
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Sep 17, 00:57Post
Biscuit Bitch Breakfast
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/bisc ... h_menu.pdf

MoF

Shuttle Cargo Bay Trainer

Concorde FLight Deck
Concorde Cabin

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 19 Sep 17, 13:55Post
Excellent read and photos too. Glad to hear the trip is going good. Looking forward to the remaining installments.
{thumbsup}
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Sep 17, 02:31Post
Day 4:

Awakened at 0500. Coffee, usual morning routine. Since we were pre-poed we didn't have a lot to do this morning. Out the door of the Warwick at 0545 to King Street Station. First time I was there was 1962. It has been completely restored to it's former glory. Boarding passes, baggage checked (YES, I check my )*#)**HH{H!))* baggage on the train too) and boarding was on time. Today's Cascade consist was subbed by Superliner equipment. Missed the Cascade, but no bitch. More legroom, and a Superliner Sightseer Lounge. Off the blocks on time.

Not much to report for the train ride, peaceful, relaxing, quiet, scenery, smooth, coffee, bagels, and we're in Vancouver.

Cab to the Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver (google it). We are literally on top of the cruise ship terminal and they will transfer our bags tomorrow morning to Princess. All we have to do is show up with carry ons and Passports tomorrow at noon. Pan Pacific is a beautiful place, right on the water.

We decided to check out the Gas Light District of Vancouver - about 1/4 mile from the hotel - for dinner places. Didn't take long. There's no shortage of fantastic and varied places to eat here on the waterfront. We selected the Steamworks Brewing Company. GREAT Beer, great food - and poutine (google that too if you must). We have decided we're skipping Seattle next time we come northwest and will concentrate on exploring Vancouver.

Todays photos (some of them) follow. I'll edit more in when I get them to the cloud.

Noon tomorrow we're on the Island Princess for many days. We have elected no internet contact nor cell contact. So I'll take notes, and take pics, and post the next report from home. We're getting in to LA, have a side trip to Pacific Science Center, then VX 1029 back to ORD.

Really has been a great trip and I'm looking forward to exploring Vancouver in depth next wrong coast trip.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Sep 17, 02:42Post
MrsANCFlyer at the fantastic Pan Pacific Hotel Image

DHC6 Twin Otter on Floats . . .

Poutine!!!
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Tom in NO 21 Sep 17, 23:50Post
Great pics, Pep and MrsPep! Love Seattle, though I haven't been in many years. Pike Street Market is all that and more, and the Bainbridge Ferry is incredible. Haven't made it to the MoF yet, but it is absolutely on my bucket list. Enjoy the cruise!
"Tramps like us"-Bruce Springsteen
xwizard (Founding Member) 22 Sep 17, 01:37Post
Tom in NO wrote:Great pics, Pep and MrsPep! Love Seattle, though I haven't been in many years. Pike Street Market is all that and more, and the Bainbridge Ferry is incredible. Haven't made it to the MoF yet, but it is absolutely on my bucket list. Enjoy the cruise!

Agreed - great pics!

We did the Future of Flight exhibition last year which wasn't as interesting as the MoF looks (we did spend two full days at the Smithsonian in Washington DC and at IAD so would have covered many of the previous exhibits).

Pike's Place should definitely be on everyone's list - so much to see and taste!
Lovin' the smell of avgas in the morning....
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Sep 17, 13:32Post
And . . . .we're back in Chicago . . . .

Cruise was awesome, as you could imagine. Princess was awesome. We were in the Gibraltar Suite, Deck 14 (Lido) Aft. Not my original cabin purchase, but upgraded two Suite Classes. Gotta love Elite Status with a cruise line.
First issue on the ship was, I had a boarding card and MrsANCFlyer did not. They told us we'd get it at the gangway (they usually call to the ship where a missing/replacement card is printed). It was not there. When it showed up, it had my name on it. That didn't go over well. Minutes later they got a new, and correct, card.

Next issue on the ship was, I had planned MrsANCFlyer's birthday shindig onboard. Since they moved our accommodation, you would have thought they'd have moved all the celebratory things too. They did not.

Next issue on the ship was luggage. We sent it early from the hotel, to clear US Customs, and it made the ship . . . . just not to the new Suite. Chased it down myself, one bag sitting in front of the former cabin on Deck 11 and the other - finally - showed up at the Purser's Office - clearly marked with the new cabin number but not delivered.

Last issue was debarking. My card didn't work. The deck widget told me to go over here and wait. MrsANCFlyer was off the ship headed down the gangway. I told 'em nope, I'm not waiting any longer. We're in LA, my bags are off the ship, and so am I. I heard to two widgets speaking some sort of language when I did that. Probably included the word "asshole" a couple times, but no one stopped me.

Uneventful transit to LAX. Checked in the VX for the 5:00pm flight to ORD. More the VX/AS comparison in a separate post here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23981 .

Spent some hours at the California Science Center . . . big attraction is the Space Shuttle Endeavor. Then back to LAX.

Checked in at the AS Lounge (VX Lounge has been closed permanently with the mover from T3 to T6). Fifty minutes later, on the plane we went. AS has a lot of catching up and some serious soul searching to do about this merger and it's service.

Off gate 63, out to the big concrete and we're off. Couple of left turns and we're shortly over LAS. Tailwind gave us a 30 minute early arrival at ORD. Great dinner on VX, great service on VX, great seat on VX (1A/1C). Baggage arrived on the carousel about the same time as we did, appropriately tagged "priority".

Super Duty arrived with family driving about 3 minutes later and we were at home in Fox Lake by 0030.

Photos of the cruise and the last day in the air this week follow.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Sep 17, 14:09Post
Movies and View Aft Deck 15

Suite view aft

Builders Plate

Sunset

Pre-Dinner Music Quartet

Bow Heading Southbound

Suite Bedroom

Smartest Man on the Ship

LAX - New AS 739
AS 738Image

VX F, row 1, 54 inches pitch

UA Jungle Jet

Random Shot heading to the big concrete

AS Dash 400 in UAA Special Livery

I'm stretch out, still can't touch the forward bulkhead from 1A, VX A320

LAX Tower

SAS leaving LAX

VX F Menu
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 12 Oct 17, 20:42Post
Meant to say so earlier, sorry Pep, but this is a TR done right - leg by leg w/good detail.

Sounds like a little trying time w/the luggage and card issues. Looks like you both had an all-round good time, though. {thumbsup}