You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Trip Reports

Crossing the Pond with BA

Share your latest flight experience or aviation-related poetry with us.

CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 29 Jun 14, 18:22Post
Crossing the Pond with BA

BA196 IAH-LHR
Club World
B772 G-YMMI

G-YMMI

Legroom in a Club World 772 facing backwards. The legrest (folded up) makes up the last foot or so of the bed. The tricky part about this is that you have to jump over your neighbor's legrest in order to get out of the quasi-suite. I actually enjoyed the seat configuration. With the windows on one side and a divider on the other, I wasn't bothered by passengers in the walkway or by other passenger's tv screens.

Drink menu

Champagne menu

Wine menu

Dinner menu

Salad and appetizer

Entree: A beef fillet with green beans, potatoes, and carrots in a brown pepper sauce. The steak was well done and had the consistency of overcooked brisket. {grumpy}

A good raspberry dessert

Decided to watch Wolf of Wall Street which surprisingly wasn't censored.

After a nice five hour nap, the lights came on and it was time for yet another meal.

Breakfast Menu. The smoothie was actually pretty good.

Breakfast

Transiting at Heathrow T5:
We parked at a remote stand past T5C which resulted in being shuttled around by a bus. I hopped on the first one as I had a rather tight connection to Hamburg an hour later. We slowly passed through the Terminal 5 maze as we were stuck behind a baggage cart. Oddly enough he didn't pull over and the bus didn't pass him, so it took almost 20 minutes to make it to the main part of T5. Transiting at Heathrow is rather easy as you don't have to enter passport control. Just a quick bag scan and walk through a metal detector and you're in duty free! Turns out the Hamburg flight was late.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 29 Jun 14, 18:23Post
BA197 LHR-IAH
First
B772 G-VIIN

As this trip was using AA miles and the only options were 30k in coach with a weird routing, or 60k in First, I figured I'd splurge and enjoy the front seat for the first (and probably only) time.

T5 at 5:30 in the morning

Concorde Room

Concorde Room breakfast menu

A quick light breakfast

Concorde Room lunch menu

Concorde Room wine menu

21 day aged bacon cheeseburger

Concorde Bar - Highlights were Blue Label, Glenlivet 18, and Zacapa XO :))

Booth in the Concorde Dining Room

View from the Concorde Patio

After spending several hours I decided to walk down the hallway to the Galleries First lounge. This is for the Executive Club Gold members and those flying on OneWorld First Class tickets other than BA.

GF bar

GF bar

Off to the gate after a quick train ride to T5C.

Another BA 772

First Class cabin

Side view of row 1

Seat 2A

Stats for the flight

Looking forward

Double window

Window shade down

Starting off with cashews and almonds

Starter of watermelon and feta

Salad

Lunch: Angus beef fillet with vegetables and a potato "tube"

Desert: Strawberry tart

After lunch drink of Johnnie Walker Blue

Tea was served; however, still full from lunch and all the meals before, I decided to try a small strawberry bite.

A view from the cockpit (courtesy of the Captain) of southern Greenland.

The flight was over way to fast, and I have to give credit to the crew for a fantastic flight.

However, we were informed that due to a luggage conveyer belt issue at Heathrow, only four bags made the flight. Yes, four bags. {grumpy}
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 29 Jun 14, 21:57Post
Good TR, Will. Very nice accomodations on BA (and both on triple 7s {thumbsup}).
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 Jul 14, 01:46Post
That seems to be quite the comfortable ride {thumbsup}

CO777ER wrote:Zacapa XO :))

From Guatemala to the world :))
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
Richie D. 21 Sep 14, 20:54Post
You should be glad you "only" transitted between T5C and T5A. I had to completely change terminals (T5A to T3 and vice versa) and IMO it was hell. Not being required to go through the UK Border when connecting ITI didn't offset how inconvenient it was for me.
Nothing is more important than your health ... except for your money. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 23
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 21 Sep 14, 23:14Post
You should stick to steamships.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 22 Sep 14, 05:28Post
Richie D. wrote:You should be glad you "only" transitted between T5C and T5A. I had to completely change terminals (T5A to T3 and vice versa) and IMO it was hell. Not being required to go through the UK Border when connecting ITI didn't offset how inconvenient it was for me.

Did that a few times, and it was piece of cake. There's a bus ferrying directly between the terminals, that even gives you a nice complimentary apron tour.

I heard a lot of people bitch about connecting at LHR. Never understood why. Maybe I was just lucky, but even with short connection times and the airport being packed, I always made my connection without breaking a sweat.

I'd prefer LHR over FRA any day.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Sep 14, 13:54Post
Zak wrote:I heard a lot of people bitch about connecting at LHR. Never understood why. Maybe I was just lucky, but even with short connection times and the airport being packed, I always made my connection without breaking a sweat.

Timing is everything when connecting through LHR. If you hit the ground at the same time as a few flights from SE Asia or Asia things quickly get interesting.

Then again, I've got up to full sprinting speed in ATL and CDG, so even at its worst LHR seems tame by comparison.
A million great ideas...
Richie D. 22 Sep 14, 17:21Post
JLAmber wrote:
Zak wrote:I heard a lot of people bitch about connecting at LHR. Never understood why. Maybe I was just lucky, but even with short connection times and the airport being packed, I always made my connection without breaking a sweat.

Timing is everything when connecting through LHR.
Absolutely. My flight was delayed 20 minutes in HAM, and the ride to T3 from T5 takes about 10 minutes or so. Had there not been the long queue for the security interview and another check at the transfer desk, along with the long way to the gate, I would have had a much more comfortable connection. Because of this, I'm considering flying in the morning to LHR, stay in London overnight and having a tour of town, and then fly on the next day.
Nothing is more important than your health ... except for your money. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 23